Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby joe » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Thanks for all the reply's. I was talking about The Wids on the left hand side of Nitshill road (left if your going toward the Hurlet - Walsh's/Welsh's [?] Timber Yard on the right) down behind the houses on Pinmore street (are they still there?). I think the confusion arose because I also asked about the Irony which was along the other side of the road, but thanks all the same.

I thought the Irony was a sewage pipe but was unsure, thanks. I was hoping the name of the Wids could be found in some old map or other but doesn't look like it - cheers everybody all the same.

I remember an old folks home also and some kind of derelict castle (probabley just an old house) next to the burn (Levern water) in The Wids.

It was interesting to hear about a path from the Irony to the Brickie. This must have been before Glenora Drive was built which was before my time - although I remember the Brickie!

Cheers everybody, Joe
joe
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby neilmc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:29 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:When people discovered the Bothwell Street tunnel the city fathers had it moved to a place of safety where it has remained in peace till you discovered it. An asset is already on his way to your door. Goodbye.

Looking forward to it mate. Anyway, here's a rough (very rough) sketch showing the location of the tunnel, which is actually referred to as a 'subway'. It is still shown on the current 1:1250 scale OS map, although it doesn't appear on the 1934 County Series map:-
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:25 pm

joe wrote:Thanks for all the reply's. I was talking about The Wids on the left hand side of Nitshill road (left if your going toward the Hurlet - Walsh's/Welsh's [?] Timber Yard on the right) down behind the houses on Pinmore street (are they still there?). I think the confusion arose because I also asked about the Irony which was along the other side of the road, but thanks all the same.

I thought the Irony was a sewage pipe but was unsure, thanks. I was hoping the name of the Wids could be found in some old map or other but doesn't look like it - cheers everybody all the same.

I remember an old folks home also and some kind of derelict castle (probabley just an old house) next to the burn (Levern water) in The Wids.

It was interesting to hear about a path from the Irony to the Brickie. This must have been before Glenora Drive was built which was before my time - although I remember the Brickie!

Cheers everybody, Joe

Hi Joe

The wids are still there and there is a new path leading from Nitshill Road through the wids to the railway underpass leading to South Nitshill at Whitriggs Road. There is also new paths through the new estate that has been built on the farm land on Parkhouse Road.

I will get up one day and take some photos and post them up.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:23 pm

I found this site purely by accident while doing bit of research. I got stuck on it, I couldnt believe people were discussing, Priesthill, Pollok, Hurlet brought back a few memories.

I remembered Tam & Willie's vans, the water tower on the hill (Priesthill), surprised no one mentioned white hills or the old prefabs. I remember the 'brickies yard as used to play there as a kid' and field across where Cleeves Road was built. There was 2 water towers big one on the hill & smaller one on Glenmuir Dr right across from Linhead Drive. I used to stay in one of old prefabs :)

davey
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:15 pm

Hi Davey

Do you have any old photos of the area it would be good to see them.

When was the last time you seen the place? There have been a number of changes

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow. I look forward to hearing more from you.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:32 pm

i moved away for 10 years, when i moved back i stayed with my gran in Glentyan Drive for few months. I go up & down to Pollok on regular basis. Still dont think Silverburn will be best for area but suppose its better than nothing. Never liked Pollok centre but at least it had more choices of shops. I'll see if i can get photos i've some old ones of prefabs Glenmuir Drive but ex has em, would mean i've gotta talk to her :)
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:43 pm

Sorry OF.

I don't want to put you to any bother. It is just that there doesn't seem to be a lot of old photos about and would be good to see some. I only move to the are in the mid 80's so don't have anything beyond that period and even then I don't have much from that period.

There is still a lot to be done. Craigbank will hopefully be started soon. So hopefully the changes will bring back some life to that part as well.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 pm

I stayed in Priesthill from 60-70's when i was a kid, i went to Burnbrae them moved to Pollokshaws and went to Sir John Maxwells. When i got married i stayed in Darnley so kept up with changes.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:10 pm

You will have seen all the changes then and now it has started all over again.

My wife worked in Wullie's Van in the late 70's his name was also Glass.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:47 pm

I didnt know that he was just Willie, allowed a bit of tick to selected few :) I meet the guy who had static van at bundy few weeks ago, hes a taxi driver now. I worked in Jackie Conners in Nitshill for few years :D
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:06 pm

The Levern Water will be gone soon.

The Council bought it so that the area can be regenerated.

Houses are to be built on the Jackie Connor's site. There has been a planning application in for a while and hopefully it will get started soon.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:31 am

canna say i'll miss it ::):

I wouldn't want to stay there... does the bridge still get nice swimming pool in winter?

In one of post mentioned hidden tunnel i'm sure there was some sort of tunnel somewhere behind Jackie Connors cant substansiate just something jogged memory that was mentioned sometime in past. Was something to do with garage was ment to be further back but they couldn't maybe that was reason. Lets face it most of Nitshill is a warren of tunnels/mines. It had six large concrete blocks over top.

The old brick work was supposed to be haunted by dead miners. Dont know if it was just a good story to tell kids but night watchman was never there at night :)
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:45 pm

Don't know about the storry of tunnels althought you are right the whole place is covered on mineshafts.

We are building a new school on the site of the old brick works.

The flooding at the bridge isn't as bad as it use to be but it still occurs from time to time.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:21 pm

well lets face it South Nitshill was built on old slag heep, so no change really ::):

The water under bridge was always a lot deeper than it looked. Seen a few think they could make it then got stranded. Always a happy taxi driver would pull them out at price 8O
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:57 pm

Alex Glass wrote:We are building a new school on the site of the old brick works.

You a bricklayer Alex?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects