Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Postby kiwi2 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:59 am

Hi Alex,

You may remember me from a couple of years ago(Ron Little).
You kindly offered to meet my wife and I when we visited Glasgow but the dates clashed with your commitments.

We are now back living in New Zealand but always keeping a watchful eye over this great forum and admiring your extensive knowledge of Glasgow.

I spent 20 years living in Glenlora Drive from 1952 to 1972 so am very interested in this particular topic.

In regards to the houses at the top of Glenlora I remember them as being from the corner of Bankbrae the Priests house, Dr. Watsmans house or surgery, the large house with the long driveway then Dr. Kennedys house which then became his surgery which he shared with his wife who also practiced under her maiden name which escapes me.

Growing up around Craigbank was a great place for young kids, memories of playing around the iron bridge which spans the Levern Burn , swimming in the burn in the summer, the red hills and stealing the chestnuts from the Coates estate.

I also recall playing around a large pond behind the white house at the Hurlet( the blacksmith was still there) close to Roughmussel. Is it still there.
I also remember tenement buildings on Nitshill rd and behind them were old miners cottages next to where the 48 bus terminus was.

What a place Nitshill was, a pub every fifty yards from the station to Pinmore road.
kiwi2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Hi Ron

Nice to hear from you again.

The offer is still open should you ever get the chance to visit again.

I bow to your superior knowledge of the Craigbank area. in the late 1980's I was able to get access to this building you know as the Priest's House. At that time the house was empty and I also managed to get a copy of an old document which gave details about how the house was left to the people of the area for use as a village hall. Through time this passed to the Council and there was a number of plans that never materialized. I was looking to turn it into a childcare centre but was unable to funding for these plans.

I think one of the other building you referred to near Roughmussel is the one here which is used by the Council's Parks Section as a Depot.

There was a house near this which was believed to have been owned by Charles Macintosh - of the Macintosh Coat fame.

It was redeveloped a couple of years ago. During the conversion the building was set on fire and the owner tried to demolish it. I believe the building here includes the original and the owner added extensions on either side. Some people believe that the building was completely demolished and a new building erected in its place.

The buildings to the rear and to the side where also added here a couple of years ago.

I have other photos of the Glenlora area I will need to look out and post them later.

Incidentally, there is now only one pup remaining on that stretch from the station to Pinmore Street - The Cavandish. All the others are gone.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Found a couple of photos I know some of you will appreciate.

I took these in 2006 of the two (three) Glenlora Cottages

First cottage round the corner from Bankbrae

Second or is it the third cottage which has the long drive

New houses have been built on Bankbrae by Rosehill Housing Co-operative

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:02 pm

The builder who planted those Rosehill hooses needs a new bubble in his spirit level. ::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kiwi2 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:38 am

Hi Alex,

Once again great photos and greatly appreciated.The cottages look in great condition, is the house with the long driveway owned privately.

The new houses on Bankbrae look impressive but still hard to understand why Craigbank was demolished when they were only up for sixty years.
kiwi2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby fourbytwo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 am

:roll: Amongst a plethera of reasons, the most viable being the Council wanted to sell the land off....I would consider that because Craigbank had at one time the most expensive heating system in Europe, many, many people simply could not afford to pay for heating 52 weeks of the year, and only get some 28 weeks of heat......
When working in that area, it was the biggest point of concern for almost everyone who lived there, in particular, single parents or anyone on benefits who had to have a very high weekly deduction from their Social Security, simply to keep up.
And also.....remember the Council included the heating as part of the rent, so arrears in that area was astronomical....
Could have saved the area, had the Council put Gas Central Heating in each house.....before the dampness took over.
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:33 pm

kiwi2 wrote:Hi Alex,

Once again great photos and greatly appreciated.The cottages look in great condition, is the house with the long driveway owned privately.

The new houses on Bankbrae look impressive but still hard to understand why Craigbank was demolished when they were only up for sixty years.

Kiwi

Fourbytwo has some of it right. He forgot to say that for a time with the heating included in with the rent it was for a period paid for from Housing Benefit which was totally against the regulation. :roll: As for selling off the land well that is difficult under the current financial climate. It is intended that the area should have a mix of private and socially rented houses. As can be seen in the photo above Rosehill Housing Co-oprative (a social housing provider) has provided the first new houses in the area. It may be sometime before more houses are build here.

Craigbank was one of the most desirable area when I first came to the area. Unfortunately as the social problems were moved round Craigbank went the same way as all the other large housing areas in Pollok and became so undesirable that it was difficult yo let the houses.

As for the house with the long drive this is where the retired nuns live. There is a smaller cottage to the left which is privately owned. The first house was transferred to the Glasgow Housing Association. It was used for a time as a respite home run by the Mungo Foundation until it was closed due to the buildings failure to meet the Care Commissions standards. It is currently being refurbished as part of a new joint project between the Glasgow Housing Association and Glasgow's Social Work.

One other old building in the Nitshill area is located on Nitshill Road. It was a Doctors Surgery until the Doctor located to the Pollok Health Centre in the late 1980's early 90's. It lay derelict for some time and was only recently converted back into a house. I have a photo which I will look out and post later.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Found it

The original was smaller. It was extended at the rear and a whole new roof put on. It is almost possible to see the original line of the building on the side elevation.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leverngirl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:31 pm

now that I see the picture, I can understand the confusion about whether the priests house was the first or the second one as you turned into Glenlora from Bankbrae.............the door in the middle shows that it must have started life as two cottages which were later linked by the newer bit in the middle................although this mu st have been added prior to 1950 as the house looks as it did then. I can remember knocking that door having been sent to apologise for stealing the priests'apples, and being given a severe dressing down by the very fierce housekeeper!
leverngirl
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby peejay1312 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:02 pm

hi alex
can you tell me years ago in househill park was there a wooden type hut (where the 5aside pitch stands) with a tennis court i can vaguely remember this can anyone else?
peejay1312
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby teejaykp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:31 pm

There was indeed a wooden hut where the parkie would store the swings at the end of the day,and have a wee cuppa.
CALLAN : How do you like your tea?
LONELY : Interfered with
teejaykp
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:11 pm

teejaykp wrote:There was indeed a wooden hut where the parkie would store the swings at the end of the day,and have a wee cuppa.

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow Teejaykp and thanks for answering peejay's question. I am relatively new to the area and only know it from about 1986. Thanks Leverngirl for your little piece of oral history. It is great to see how this thread has developed recently. I believe that the link between the two cottages was built many years ago. I think there may have been some consideration given to removing this link at one time and converting the houses back but this may just be my memory playing tricks. I do know that the building was empty and derelict in 1986 till about 1992 at which time it was renovated and used as a respite home.

It is fascinating to hear other peoples memories of the Craigbank and Househill Park. Here are a couple of links that may be of interest to those who have fond memories of living in the Pollok area, including Craigbank, Househillwood, Priesthill, Nitshill and South Nitshill.

Greater Pollok Heritage Group

Greater Pollok Kist

(Click on the name)

Here is a photo of the multi purpose games area Peejay

Hope this is the area you refer to.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bombardier » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi everybody. I recently discovered this site and find it fascinating. I was born in the Saltmarket and moved to Peat Rd in 1948, we lived near the old RC Church which, at the time, was the Terminus for the 48 to Broomielaw and the 26 to Govan. The Church (St Roberts?) was presided over by Father Burns who wasn't averse to giving you a skelp on the lug if he found you loitering in the Church grounds. As I lived close to the Church, I was nearly always first in the queue for the "Scramble" after the Saturday weddings. I spent many a happy summer playing in Househillwood Park and remember and old Cottage/Bungalow to the left of the path over the bridge shown in Alex' photograph. If my memory serves me well an "Old" couple lived in there, does anybody know who they were? The house was demolished in the early/mid 50's. Further along the Burn, near the Post Office was a wooden bridge which used to get covered when the Burn overflowed.
Bombardier
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Bombardeir

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow and thanks for adding a little of your recollections of the Househill Park and the Craigbank area.

Here are a couple of photos of St Robert's Church for you.

And the Priest's house

Was the cottage/bungalow you refer to in the park? I am sure it wouldn't be hard to find out their names. If I get the opportunity I will see if I can find out their names for you.

I think the old wooden bridge has been removed I don't think I have ever seen a bridge that far down in the park but may be wrong.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby teejaykp » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:34 am

Can remember a wooden bridge about midway between the stone bridge at the adventure park and the post office.Recall clattering over it in a cheap pair of plastic football boots from woollies,in the days when the area between the burn and Barrhead road ,known locally as the meadow,was filled from end to end with various games of footy.If you were lucky you got to use a tree for a goal post,but jackets were the norm.On the other side of the Barrhead road was the valley,renowned for encounters of a closer nature....well so they tell me.Also remember quite a serious flood when the burn overflowed,must have been the 1970s.The unfortunate tenants in the downstairs houses in Haughburn Road were hit pretty hard.Since then they have banked the area facing the street and any flooding tends to go in the other,uninhabited, direction
CALLAN : How do you like your tea?
LONELY : Interfered with
teejaykp
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects