Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Postby peejay1312 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:01 pm

hi all new on here i used to stay in pollok inn hosuehillwood cresent i can remember househill park with the tennis courts now the five a side football pitches are there and the swings and the big tree slide at the opposite end of the park(glenlora dr)
peejay1312
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi Peejay1312

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow.

I have some recent photos of the park. If you want I can post them up.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peejay1312 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:36 am

hi alex that would be great

thanks

pj
peejay1312
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Househill Park

Fossilised Tree

Levern

Former Rose Garden

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PEBBLES » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 pm

HI FOUND THIS SITE FEW MONTHS AGO MY FIRST TIME POSTING ANYTHING
I WAS BORN AND BREAD IN POLLOK ,JUST LOOKING AT SOME OF THE PICTURES POSTED OF HOUSEHILL PARK .
WOT A DISGRACE WHY HAS IT BEEN ALLOWED TO DETERIATE LIKE THIS .
I REMEMBER THE LAND BELONGED TO CRANSTONE DUNLOPE FAMILIES ,
THEN PASSED TO THE PEOPLE OF HOUSEHILLWOOD .
IS THIS STILL THE CASE OR DOES IT BELONG TO SOMEONE ELSE .
PEBBLES
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi Pebbles

Sorry for the delay replying to your question.

The park is owned by Glasgow City Council. The park has seen recent investment as indicated in the photo of the Multi Purpose Games Area, the play area near the Baptist Church and the lighting on the path. The Council has plans to improve the area known as the Rose Garden. This should be carried out within the next few months.

I don't know what like it was when you last seen it but it had deteriorated over a number of years. Do you have any photos?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Hi Pebbles
The park is owned by Glasgow City Council. The park has seen recent investment as indicated in the photo of the Multi Purpose Games Area, the play area near the Baptist Church and the lighting on the path. The Council has plans to improve the area known as the Rose Garden. This should be carried out within the next few months.
I don't know what like it was when you last seen it but it had deteriorated over a number of years. Do you have any photos?

I don't know what it was like when you last saw it Alex, but it looks far better in your pictures than the last time I saw it; there is no deterioration that I can see in the pictures...in fact it's much better. The park looks great! Your pictures of Househill Park are very good...if those pictures are pictures of what it is like today, then it has improved vastly since I last saw it.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:45 pm

It is a large park Dugald and I am sure some people will remember it when it was well used by local people. There are part that are not what they were and some people have abused the park. There was a burnt out car when I was last there but it has been removed. It is a great park and hopefully when the Rose Garden has been done it will look even better.

Thanks Dugald
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:23 pm

This house is in a worse nick now than it was a year ago. At least it looked as if some work was going on here(sep 2007)

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:41 pm

All the work is being carried out to the interior not the exterior so unless you have x ray specs I wouldn't expect you will see any difference when it is finished.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Alex Glass wrote:All the work is being carried out to the interior not the exterior so unless you have x ray specs I wouldn't expect you will see any difference when it is finished.

I don't have X-ray specs but I was the area supervisor for the buildings security and it didn't look like much work was going on any time I was there....but you're right, I was never inside.!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:24 pm

It took some time for the contractor to get the go ahead but they are on site now.

When you where there you will have noticed that the boundary fence was on the road. This has now been moved back the to plot line.

I know there was a lot of bother from local young people when you were on site. Hope it didn't cause too much of a problem.

I am not sure of the timescale for the interior work to be completed but I can get this information.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:26 am

Alex Glass wrote:It took some time for the contractor to get the go ahead but they are on site now.

When you where there you will have noticed that the boundary fence was on the road. This has now been moved back the to plot line.

I know there was a lot of bother from local young people when you were on site. Hope it didn't cause too much of a problem.

I am not sure of the timescale for the interior work to be completed but I can get this information.

Yep...the boundry fence was 'literally' on the road half the time. As for causing me too much of a problem. I was only ever responding to calls for assistance from the on-site guard and 9/10 as soon as I appeared the weans starbursted into the yonder(Low- gear, high-revs and full beam tend to have that effect on the little darlings :wink: ). Has the Blochairn security taken that site now? or are they still too busy with all the schools? Grrrrr.....those bloody schools!
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leverngirl » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:43 pm

re the photo of the house being upgraded, is this the house on Glenlora Drive that used to be called (this in the 50s and early 60's) the priests' house? If it's the first house as you turn right into Glenlora from Bankbrae Avenue, then it is. Had a very large back garden bounded by an old stone wall..........anyone know :?:
leverngirl
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Leverngirl

It is the first house but this one was empty for a long number of years before it was turned into a respite home.

The Priest's Home where retired nuns live is the next one up Glenlora Drive and has a large front garden entrance.

How long ago was it when you knew the house as the Priest's House?

Peekay

The contractor is City Building (Glasgow) and as I understand the security is now their responsibility but it may involve Blochairn.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects