CR Mackintosh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: CR Mackintosh

Postby Melrose » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:27 pm

Not got any pics guys but I work as an electrician and have the joy of doing a lot of the maintenance work for the glasgow school of art, love the art school building. Cant get enough of the place actually and recently have been involved in the 3yr restoration project in that building also, last visit i removed the well photographed centre light cluster in the mack library and handed it over to a restoration team.. Should be re-fitting it end of the month, have also worked in house for an art lover, though of course its a much more modern building, and also the lighthouse.. Mackintosh was very much ahead of his time, his style and design is often copied but never matched!
Your not here for a long time, So lets make it a good time!!
Melrose
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mrsam » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:05 am

Cool story one to tell the grandkids Must've been hairy removing the light fitting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u-OZfphoD0 ::): ::):

(This is how the pros do it)

Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:23 am

Sunday herald

Art Club seeks £1m to restore lost Rennie Mackintosh frieze

CHARLES RENNIE Mackintosh's first major frieze has lain hidden under several layers of paint for nearly a century in the Glasgow Art Club, but trustees are on the verge of launching a major fundraising campaign to bring the architect's "lost essay in interiors" back to life.

Painted in 1893, the stencilled frieze features sage-green thistles intertwining on a light-yellow background to create an art nouveau lattice. It was the centrepiece of the art club's gallery but, due to its position under the eaves, it suffered water damage and was eventually painted and plastered over.

The club's trustees believe that once restored, it will be the first stop on a Mackintosh trail around Glasgow. Experts claim the gallery houses the first shoots of the architect's celebrated style that would later bloom into his designs for the Glasgow School of Art.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:11 pm

GSA

GLASGOW SCHOOL OF ART LAUNCHES £50M COMPETITION FOR NEW BUILDING

The Glasgow School of Art has launched a competition a new landmark £50m building to rival the world-famous main building designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

It today launches the international competition to find an architect for a new building for the 2500 square metre site opposite the Mackintosh building, replacing those which currently stand on the site in Garnethill.

The Mackintosh building at 167 Renfrew Street, which was constructed in two phases in 1896 and 1909 and is undergoing a £8.5m revamp of its own, was Mackintosh's largest commission and is seen as his architectural masterpiece.

The site currently holds three buildings, which will be demolished in 2011: the student union building, dating to the mid-1930s, the Newbury Tower, built in 1972, and the Foulis Building, from 1968.

The buildings, all seen as not suited to their purpose, are all to come down and be replaced by a new building, or buildings, which should be in place opposite the Mackintosh building by 2013.

Seona Reid, director of GSA, said that whatever building is made, it would need to be responsive to its students - who are being consulted as part of the redevelopment - and that "a world class school needs a world class estate".

She said: "The Mackintosh building is an incredible place, there are lots of nooks and crannies where you can go to be informal, have a chat, meditate on something, or just look over Glasgow, and it is important the new building also has these fluid, informal spaces where students can debate, think, run into each other and meet - this should not just be another office block.

"We have no preconceptions over what the final design might be, but it will not be a copy of the Mackintosh. We are looking for architects of imagination who can design a building, or buildings, which can sit and work in that space - we assume that some of the larger architecture names will go for it, but we don't want to close the door to the smaller parties either."

The competition is being run by Malcolm Reading Consultants. For more information, go to:http://www.malcolmreading.co.uk/gsa/

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:54 am

Herald

Glasgow celebrates Mackintosh’s birth

Celebrations are taking place across Glasgow this weekend to mark the birthday of the city's most famous architect.
It is Charles Rennie Mackintosh 141st birthday on Sunday, and events have been planned at some of his most iconic buildings.
Across Glasgow, Mackintosh properties such as Queen's Cross Church in Maryhill and House for an Art Lover at Bellahouston Park are all opening their doors and offering free entry to visitors.
The management at Hill House in Helenbsurgh has made a giant birthday card that will be left outside so that well-wishers can write tributes and messages.
Hundreds of fans from as far away as Japan and the US are expected to arrive in Glasgow over the course of the weekend to join in the celebrations.
Stewart Robertson of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society, said: "This is a fairly big occasion.
"Last year Google posted a notice that it was his 140th birthday on its homepage and our website received over six million hits, so there is a lot of interest in him.
"To mark his birthday, a new range of Mackintosh merchandise is being released - it includes things like mugs and brollies and it has been designed with input from Glasgow School of Art students."
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:00 pm

100 years since the completion of the Mackintosh Building

Mackintosh's Masterpiece: The Glasgow School of Art

Goes out on Monday 21 September at 9pm on BBC Two Scotland
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:08 pm

AJ

Toshy gets his face on a hunner sauce. :)

Image[/CENTER]
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby mrsam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:03 pm

*Bump* Mr(Councilor) Glass was asking 'bout Scotland Street School back in '06
Alex Glass wrote:Great photos Ally Doll. Do you have any more of the interior?

Well I went recently with my old old digi camera and snapped some shots so here goes

Outer Decoration

More Outer Decoration

Stairwell looking up from bottom level

Window Detail

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:19 pm

More
Ther is an old drill hall on the ground floor that was a statement shwopiece for the Macintosh style
Image {The Drill Hall}

The drill hall was used to practice drilling (Before gym classbecame the thing to do that is what was done!) but was designed to act as a light well for the other parts of the ground floor specificaly the two stair cases that are to be found at either side

Image {The Mesanine level stair corridor}

The hall is a space bounded by the outer wall on one side, the opposite wall has windows through to a corridor and the remaining two walls have collumns with a mesanine floor of a starway running through them as well as doors and access to the aforementioned corridor. The hall also has a sunken floor.

Image {Close up of a hall Collum from the Mesanine level stair corridor}

Image{The Back Corridor}

The school has been left intact so that you have some tawdry displays of 'olden schooldays' as well as some fascinating little vignetts of architechture such as

Image{Sink Makers Details}

Mr Sam

mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Britain's first Women's Medical School (1895) Queen Margaret College:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anorak » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:40 am

I’ve created a weird image with lots of Mackintosh heads for my Mackintosh web pages.

The original drawing of the head was made with graphite pencil, before applying the graphics software.

Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Anorak » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Anyone else interested in drawing and manipulating the images with computer graphics?

I wasn’t happy with my original pencil portrait of Mackintosh, I thought it was a bit crap, but it’s difficult to get a realistic image of someone who’s been dead for so long and for whom there are very few photographs.

The illustrator of Mori’s £100 Clydesdale note, posted earlier, seems to have had the same problem, especially with the hairstyle.

Here’s a composite image showing the progression from the original drawing.

The computer graphics software allowed me to clean up the picture, black out the bits I wasn’t sure about, change the background and surprisingly come up with an image I was happy with. This altered image allowed me to create the almost photo-realistic multiple “mackheads” with the eyes staring out from all directions.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Anorak wrote:I’ve created a weird image with lots of Mackintosh heads for my Mackintosh web pages.

The original drawing of the head was made with graphite pencil, before applying the graphics software.

I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 pm

Report last year on the Mac frieze @ the GAC.

Herald

Charles Rennie Mackintosh's first major frieze has lain hidden under several layers of paint for nearly a century in the Glasgow Art Club, but trustees are on the verge of launching a major fundraising campaign to bring the architect's "lost essay in interiors" back to life.

Painted in 1893, the stencilled frieze features sage-green thistles intertwining on a light-yellow background to create an art nouveau lattice. It was the centrepiece of the art club's gallery but, due to its position under the eaves, it suffered water damage and was eventually painted and plastered over

In for planning.

Reference: 10/00446/DC Community Cnl: Anderston
Address: Glasgow Art Club 185 Bath Street Glasgow
Proposal: Internal alterations comprising investigative works to reveal decorative frieze.
Date Received: 25.02.2010 Date Valid: 23.03.2010
Applicant
Details:
The Trustees Of Glasgow Art Club
Agent Details: 0141 334 2795
Alan Ferdinand
2 Alfred Terrace GLASGOW G12 8RF
Ward: Anderston/City Representation Expiry Date: 07.05.2010
Type: Listed Building Consent Level:
Case Officer: Mr S McCollam, 0141 287 6021
Listing: A Cons Area: Central Area
Map Reference: (E) 258503 (N) 665785
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Glasgow School of Art

BBC

Today, 18:30 on BBC Two

Dr Jonathan Foyle, architectural historian and novice climber, scales Britain's most iconic structures, from the Normans to the present day, to reveal the buildings' secrets and tell the story of how our architecture and construction has developed over 1000 years.

The next step of Jonathan Foyle's journey takes him to the Glasgow School of Art, built from 1897 by young artist Charles Rennie Macintosh, it's one of Britain's most controversial, challenging and celebrated buildings.

With unprecedented access Jonathan, aided by top climber Lucy Creamer, scales the school to reveal the myriad of influences, from medieval castles to Japanese heraldry, that Macintosh used to create his modernist masterpiece. On his architectural treasure hunt Jonathan scales over 90 feet to reveal how Macintosh's building is modelled on a baronial castle, he discovers how Macintosh pokes fun at traditional architecture and he investigates how nature and the industrial revolution combine, when he explores one of the greatest rooms in Europe - the Macintosh Library.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects