Accesible Clydeside Relics Soon to Vanish

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Accesible Clydeside Relics Soon to Vanish

Postby PGCC » Sat May 25, 2002 8:12 pm

How about adding some of the old oil terminals @ Dalmuir or Bowling, theres even a derelict boatyard that is worthy of a photographic record before the bulldozer's move in. Or how about Dunglass Castle & the Henry Bell monument ( wheres that they ask?) not easily accessible to the general public but wothy of a visit. I stumbled across it last week after the Dog got of it's lead ( hold on..... I don't have a dog!! :wink:) but I had left the camera gear in the car :cry: so I s'pose I'll have to return in the not too distant future for a few snaps & perhaps see if the dog is still around :wink: :wink:
PGCC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby downward_spiral » Sun May 26, 2002 12:51 am

Bowling and Dalmuir are both a 5 min cycle from here (Old Kilpatrick), so I might get some pics if I have some spare time soon.

Not sure how easy it is to get into the oil terminal though. Any ideas?
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon May 27, 2002 3:29 pm

ok "wheres that!!!????" and do you maybe need a hand finding that troublesome dog of yours!?

Love the idea of oil terminals :D - i think i know what boatyard you might mean...i 'll try and dredge up some photos of it....although from what i recall they were victim of a shaky camera!

Sharon
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where's that?

Postby PGCC » Mon May 27, 2002 4:19 pm

The the Henry Bell Monument is in the grounds of what remains of Dunglass Castle. It can been seen easily from Bowling or the slip road @ Bowling roundabout. It is a somewhat tranquil setting as it is well away from the road & due to the fact that it has been part of a secure site for decades. Henry Bell invented the first sea going paddle steamer a few years back and this was erected in his memory. There is a replica of it on the other side near to Greenock IIRC. Do a google search to find out more, otherwise I would just be making it up if I continued :P . OK ADMIN if you would like to lend a hand look for The Dog in the Bowling (area of last known sighting) drop me a line, my addy's on here somewhere & we can arrange a search party to find the rascal :wink: , last few occassions this happened, It had me up the Botanic Garden's Station twice! and finally caught up with him @ the Granary on the second visit :D .
PGCC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby downward_spiral » Mon May 27, 2002 4:28 pm

I'm just back from Bowling.. I decided to go for a leisurely stroll today :wink: :wink:.

Very nice 8)

I also took a wander and found the remains of a certain distillery, which are also very ruined, dark, and interesting.. albeit in a much more 'lets go for a picnic' kind of way.

Oh.. and I love dogs :wink:
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby PGCC » Mon May 27, 2002 5:59 pm

Nice one Dave, Hope you found it interesting. I'm interested in the old distillery you mention. I reckon the Dog might be somewhere in the "very ruined, dark, and interesting" part you mention :wink: . As a fellow dog lover you may want to be part of a search party to look for aforemetioned lost pet. Admin has shown a passing interest also. I'm on hols for the next 3 weeks :D so I'm around most days.
- PGCC
PGCC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects