Baths, Wash houses and Pools - "The Steamie's"

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Baths, Wash houses and Pools - "The Steamie's"

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:18 pm

http://www.govanhillbaths.com/

PUBLIC MEETING: The Big Swim - An Update on The Future of the Govanhill Baths - Tuesday 10 March, 7pm, Samaritan House, Coplaw Street, Govanhill.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kenny1986 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:31 pm

The picture on the left looks like a crime scene with a chalk outline at the bottom of the pool ::):
kenny1986
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:11 am

ET

MSP wants Holyrood to pay for pool reopening

MSPs are being urged to back a call for the Scottish Government to fund the reopening of Govanhill Pool in Glasgow.
Shettleston MSP Frank McAveety said the government could find the cash from its end-year flexibility money - the cash it holds over from one year to the next as part of its financial management.
The Shettleston Labour MSP has tabled a parliamentary motion calling on the government to back the business plan put forward by Govanhill Baths Community Trust.
The trust, a charity set up to restore the B-listed building, has prepared a £12.5million plan to re-open the pool, which was controversially closed in 2001.

Fatima Uygun, director of Govanhill Baths Community Trust, which is driving the project
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:03 am

Just a pity the local MSP hasn't the decency to support the venture.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby emzgeebaby » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:40 pm

jimsco wrote::?: What happened to the old "steamie" and baths just off Elder street in Govan? I remember being dragged along as a very young kid by my old mother and we went to the "baths" occaisionally with the school (Fairfield Street School).

are these the baths with the big narrow chimney in govan?? if so my mum used to take me there when i was young (im 20 now so about 15 years ago) i dont think it has been demolished but i know the baths arent open any more. i have really nice memories of they baths. inside i remember the changing rooms being on the top floor and the doors not going all the way down to the bottoom.

i also went to swimming lessons in greenfield school.
emzgeebaby
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby toomse » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:02 am

Osborne Street wash house yesterday

toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 pm

I can Spot the Asbestos from here. I thought Osborne Street Steamie was geting turned into some sort of Community Arts Project a couple of years ago.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:49 am

Govan Hill baths in for planning consent. :D

Item 2C (19 pages)

APPLICATION 09/00277/DC

DATE VALID 18.03.2009

SITE ADDRESS
99 Calder Street Glasgow G42 7RA

PROPOSAL
Extension to and use of vacant swimming pool/wash house building as Sporting and
Wellbeing Centre with composite use (Class 4, 10 and 11).

APPLICANT
Govanhill Baths Community

Trust Ltd
Suite 312
149 Claymore House
Glasgow
G41 3JA

AGENT
Nord Architecture
Glassworks Studios
3 Airds Lane
GLASGOW
G1 5HU

WARD NO(S)
08, Southside Central COMMUNITY

COUNCIL
02_097, Crosshill/Govanhill

CONSERVATION AREA
LISTED B

ADVERT TYPE
Affecting a Conservation
Area/Listed Building

PUBLISHED 27 March 2009
CITY PLAN
Residential
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:24 pm

ET

£12.5m pool plan is one step closer

EIGHT years ago Glasgow City Council decided to close Govanhill Baths claiming it was a drain on resources.
But councillors who sounded the deathknell for the complex had no idea that what should have been a straightforward decision would result in a lengthy sit-in and a near riot in the street involving mounted police.
The problem was that while councillors were determined to close the historic baths, local people were equally determined they would re-open.
And now they've come a major step nearer to achieving that goal after councillors unanimously agreed a £12.5million planning application which will bring the B- listed Edwardian building back to life.

Image Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:01 pm

I don't get he economics of the Govanhill Pool reopening. Previously it was a drain on resources now over £12M is to be spent on it shoe horning the following into the Site :

It involves turning the basement into a recording and rehearsal studio, providing a kitchen, toilets, interview rooms, staff facilities, therapy rooms, a sauna, Turkish baths, small pool and lounge.

The ground floor will provide offices, a multi-purpose hall, a cafe/bar, reception area, internet cafe, training pool, small pool and large pool with changing cubicles.

On the first floor will be offices, store rooms, kitchen, a cafe/bar and toilets, while the second floor will have offices, a mezzanine cafe, kitchen and toilets.

The third floor will have a kitchen, offices, and a meeting room while the fourth floor will house a nursery capable of taking 62 children at any one time. The fifth floor will provide a nursery, roof garden, kitchen and toilets.

Govanhill Pool Community Trust have got themselves a boutique Architect who is sponsporing them, who are also the applicants on the Planning Application. And now the hard part is they need to try and get Council, European and Lottery Funding etc.

What happened to just having a Swimming Pool, Turkish Baths and Fitness Suites? Don't get it. How may Staff will the new place have to employ and how will it be funded?

Oh it's okay see Stephen Inch is around to sort it :

City council executive director of development and regeneration Steve Inch said the plan is to have the centre open between 8am and 9.30pm from Monday to Friday and between 10am and 5pm at the weekends.

So the Council will fund it after all. A drain on resources no doubt. We end up with another very specific Centre with facilites crammed into it for specific few. No doubt there will be relatively restricted access to the general public who will no doubt be largely paying for it.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fatweegee » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Summertown Road Baths, or Ibrox Swimming Pool was demolished in the early '90s and stood at the cornor of Summertown Road and Clynder Street.

Harhill Baths, or Govan Fun Pool, was redeveloped about the time Ibrox was demolished and although still standing recently is now gone. The 'steamie' was converted at the same time into a public laundrette, although some of the large/steam roller dryers were still in use.
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby fatweegee » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Actually a photo of the '80's/'90's signage at Harhill here on this site - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=474&start=150
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am

Socceroo wrote:I don't get he economics of the Govanhill Pool reopening. Previously it was a drain on resources now over £12M is to be spent on it shoe horning the following into the Site :

So the Council will fund it after all. A drain on resources no doubt. We end up with another very specific Centre with facilites crammed into it for specific few. No doubt there will be relatively restricted access to the general public who will no doubt be largely paying for it.

That's not how I understand the situation.

The council has granted planning permission but, as far as I can tell, there's no mention of the council coming up with the £12 million.

Swimming pools aren't just costly to build they're incredibly expensive to run.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:31 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Socceroo wrote:I don't get he economics of the Govanhill Pool reopening. Previously it was a drain on resources now over £12M is to be spent on it shoe horning the following into the Site :

The council has granted planning permission but, as far as I can tell, there's no mention of the council coming up with the £12 million.

That's not how I see it either. I know they have still to find the cash. What I meant was the Council will end up funding the running of it.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:20 pm

Socceroo wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

That's not how I see it either. I know they have still to find the cash. What I meant was the Council will end up funding the running of it.

That simply cannot be allowed to happen. Raising £12 million, even nowadays, probably won't be too difficult and it'd be helluva easy for the trust to seek to evade their responsibilty for running the project by 'shaming' the council into taking it over.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects