Queens Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Queens Park

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:32 pm

This probably aint so much UE, more archaeology but I'll put it here anyways :wink:

Iv often wondered what this is:

It looks like an old kiln of some sort but I cant find anything on it. As u can see its circular and does looks as though it origanally closed at the top. It sits just above the pond beside Pollokshaws Rd:

( can just make out the tip of it above)
There is a trail of the same bricks and pieces of masonry that extend to the gate and also slightly east to the old (now drained pond).

Anyways... any ideas??? ....anybody???
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby AMcD » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:18 pm

Don't know Queen's Park so I'm not sure whereabouts, is it one of the features on this map from NLS.

Could it be the remains of an ice house or dovecote?
I'm all out of ideas :|
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:51 pm

Nice map! Yup... its the circular structure at the top centre. I dont think its a dovecot although i never thought of an ice house?

Also, what is that square to the left of the map also? It is stil there in the form of a shallow depression, embanked on all four sides. You can just about make it out in this foto (couldnt get the angle right :oops: )

The structures to the left of that again are at the gate where some fragments (well.. bricks) remain embedded in the ground. Do u know what date that maps from?

Heres the same section from 1863
but it doesnt show any structure there?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:23 pm

Looks like it might be preliminary foundations of some sort at the time the NLS map was drawn. It could be groundworks for a number of things. eg. public air raid shelter from the WW2 era or ground set aside for a public amenity that never came to fruition? The Map looks distinctly 20th century though.
The ice house idea is interesting but would it not be nearer to Camphill House for convenience?

RE: Crustys Pics Of Circular Brickworks
Could it be remains of a well? although it's situation on the higher ground doesn't really lend itself to this idea I suppose. :? Hmm.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:43 pm

I checked the NLS myself.. the map is late 19th century OS.
I had thought it might be a well but the brickwork does seem to get narrower at each brick course which there wouldnt be a reason for. Also, would it not be marked as a well on the map?

Iv been scratching my head over this since I moved to the area. I had intended to ask the 96year old lady downstairs about it but she died just before Christmas and I never got a chance to... lovely old woman, god rest her soul.

I'll need to go to the Mitchell for this one methinks... where is Ronnie when u need him :)!!
crusty_bint
-
-

Kiln

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:51 pm

Another possibilty is its the base of an old 17th or 18th century kiln used in the drying process for oats/barley etc. or err' some other use. (caveat) ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:56 pm

Im with u on that line of thinkin. something was obviously in production at the site. also, looking at a map of 1912, all these structures have been swept away and the two current ponds constructed. That at least gives me a point to work back from.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:01 pm

Nice pics Crusty, but are they 300dpi? my bellwire connection is struggling to load up.
72dpi would help the refresh rate at my end.
Appologies in advance if its just my Cooncil connection though :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:15 pm

erm... I dunno wot the DPI is... if anyone can tell me how to work it out Id be only too happy to sort it
... Im on cooncil connection too (poxy low-band!!!!)... its a Fuji Finepix A204 (? 8O ?)

:D
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:24 pm

...er have you got photoshop crispy? you can reduce it there
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:33 pm

I dont have Photoshop im afraid :( ... jus shitty little MGI Photosuite which is good for... eh Eff All!!!!!!
crusty_bint
-
-

Basics

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:53 pm

All you need to do in your particular choice of editing software is!.... It doesn't need to be Photoshop as most editing suites allow the basics to re-size an image and its dpi (dots per inch) Set the resolution (you'll see a box on the screen of your photo software, it might be set at a default of 300dpi which is ok for printing a photo as it needs as many Dots Per Inch to make the photo as good as a Lab print from a film camera)but you don't need any more than 72dpi @ 640x480 which is very good for posting pics on the web. The next one up is 800x600 @ 72dpi, where you'll just about fill the screen on most home comps.

TOP TIP: just fart about with the software as much as you can to get a feel for it. You can't do too much damage to your images as long as you don't hit 'Save As OK! Unless your sure of the end result on screen. This should save you getting daggers from the touchy web folk, where speed is of the essence to all of us non-broadband enabled web users. :cry:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dee » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:52 am

hi
it was a petrol dump/tank from ww2
from pollockshaws road you can
see the man made shape.
dee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Queens park??

Postby cumbo » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:41 am

Dee you may have a point
The Germans had thought that Queens Park looked strange on photos
taken from the air. the contours looked man made.They may have thought it was a factory or storage.It was regularly bombed during the second world war.The streets behind Camphill had a few direct hits.Some of the tenements off Deanston Drive have been rebuilt.
The only historical knowlege I have of the area that Crusty's photos were
taken, are that It was a burial ground for the defeated soldiers of Mary Queen Of Scots Ill fated Battle of Langside.
The whole pond area was a mass grave.
That gives us no clue to the bricks I'm going down for a look now, see what it's all about?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:40 am

that is quite interesting. Would this structure have been lead lined with a brick outer?
And is there any more around Glasgow?

Here Crispy you got a shovel ‘cause I got the metal detector :wink:
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects