Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby escotregen » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:07 am

The reference to the Mars Bar off St Enochs Square reminds me of going there when it opened in the 70s and was so, so, cool. After going there for some time we became aware of some heavy people were coming in... something to do with the recreational habits that arise around playing and listening to jazz? (I can't think what it was :wink:) Anyway, one night we arrived and noticed two big baseball bats at the side of the door as we went in. My pal joked with the rather burly balding 'gentlemen' at the door about the bats. One of the gentleman aggresively asked if "we wantit' some". We declined the offer and declined to return.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:17 pm

Ronnie wrote:David
Anybody remember Henry Afrika's, Muscular Arms, the Georgic ... ooh I could go on for hours ...

Now there's an interesting rumour I've heard about the Muscular Arms. The pub was located on the corner of Mandela Square and West Nile Street and is now a Pizza Hut. A friend worked in said Pizza Hut several years ago, and tells me that on the first floor much of the muscular arms decor remained intact. The Muscular Arms did have (IIRC) an upstairs, entered by doors on W Nile Street. It was used by Pizza Hut as an occasional storage room, but rarely actually used by them, hence the original decor being prety much undisturbed.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby helsinki » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:30 am

Three classic bars from Nitshill when it still retained a semblance of "villageness. The Househill Tavern close to Levern School. The Railway Inn facing the war memorial which had a walled garden at its back. And the difficult to find Volunteer Arms which was nestled at the top of a flight of stairs slap bang on the railway tunnel wall. All were on Nitshill Road. Between the Railway Inn and volunteer Arms were a wee row of miners houses of soft yellow/gold sandstone. These were demolished around the mid sixties just before the High Flat was built.
helsinki
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:43 pm

Sundowners West Nile Street (I think)
Max Headroom Miller Street Under the Ingram Hotel
Ed Dubevnics Miller Street (It was Across from the Fixx)
Fixx Miller St (then it became Fixx 2)
Hurricanes Bath Street I think
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:05 pm

JayKay wrote:Now there's an interesting rumour I've heard about the Muscular Arms. The pub was located on the corner of Mandela Square and West Nile Street and is now a Pizza Hut. A friend worked in said Pizza Hut several years ago, and tells me that on the first floor much of the muscular arms decor remained intact. The Muscular Arms did have (IIRC) an upstairs, entered by doors on W Nile Street. It was used by Pizza Hut as an occasional storage room, but rarely actually used by them, hence the original decor being prety much undisturbed.

JayKay
From memory, there was the front half of a Mini attached to the wall, as if it was coming through the wall, and there were cartoon characters painted all over the walls. One of the artists responsible was, if I recall, Clifford Hanley (son of the more famous Cliff Hanley). Be a real wee time capsule if all that is still there!
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:52 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:Sundowners West Nile Street (I think)
Max Headroom Miller Street Under the Ingram Hotel
Ed Dubevnics Miller Street (It was Across from the Fixx)
Fixx Miller St (then it became Fixx 2)
Hurricanes Bath Street I think

Hurricanes was in West Regent Street, in a basement. Many a pint of cider and black sunk there during my goth days....

Will speak to my contact regarding The Muscular Arms and find out what remained there.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:58 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:Sundowners West Nile Street (I think)

I used to go to a Sundowners in Queen St, think its O'Neils now or summat like that.

Charlie Parkers - next door to Fury Murrays only used to go there cos i was too young to get in anywhere else and they were too empty to knock me back!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:59 pm

and i forgot Tin Pan Alley - first taste of booze :)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:02 am

[/quote]
Charlie Parkers - next door to Fury Murrays only used to go there cos i was too young to get in anywhere else and they were too empty to knock me back![/quote]

...there was also a charlie parkers in Royle exchange square which turned in to Choice which is now the Apartment. Also in the basement of said building was Club X.

Is Planet Peach (queen street) still open?
Fossil
-
-

Postby Kirsty » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:38 pm

Alice Underground, Cambridge Street
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:46 pm

Alice Underground : didn't they have VW beetles with the roofs cut off for seated tables?. Weird!

or Sylvesters in Ingram Street where you had to be under 16 to get in :)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:12 pm

... thers was also Zhivagos it to was on ingram st. (cruise is there now). it had a club down stairs. went once and seen a PA by Eddie Kidd the stunt biker singing his then hit. :oops:
Fossil
-
-

Postby DVF » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:40 pm

Fossil, yau asked about Planet Peach. It's called Cube now. I'd heard that Planet Peach was started by a couple of Business Students as their final project or something. Anyone know?

David.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Kirsty » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:28 pm

Donj't know much about Planet Peach but the Nightclub downstairs from Zhivagos was called Zhamils or Zhamilles.
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:25 pm

Planet Pish I knew it as! Eminem went there (as Cube) when he did gig on the green a couple of years back

...its still pish tho! :twisted: :twisted:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects