Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: ultrateque disco in sauchiehall st early eighties?

Postby machanalan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 pm

was in ultratec ah good few times was hard for me to get in i was to young in the mid 80s the ultratec went for the older crowd , or maybe my gear wasnt trendy enough ::):
machanalan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:20 am

Can anyone identify where this club is ? i've asked this on here before without anyone recognising the place, i'm asuming its above the old charlie parkers bar during the 80s in exchange square that used to be called pzazz.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 am

RapidAssistant wrote:The old Glencairn Juniors social club in Rutherglen - wiped out by the M74 extension - did they ever replace it?

Yes, it's about 100 yards further along the road heading towards Glasgow. It originally re-poened as the social club, but ran into difficulties, the biggest one being the lack of any matchday income as the new ground is a decent hike away on the other side of the railway. It closed for a short spell but opened again as "The Glencairn Venue", with current football team boss Willie Harvey running it.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:09 am

That Simple Minds video was maybe Clouds?
Clouds being the place of my one venture into a disco.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: first club i you got into

Postby InkMan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:32 am

machanalan wrote:What was the first club you got into? Mine was raffles at the bottom of byres rd when i was 15 , it became the volcano then it was in the flim trainspotting then it burnt doon :(
what was yours

Tin Pan Alley for me followed shortly thereafter by Bonkers.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:13 pm

machanalan wrote:What was the first club you got into? Mine was raffles at the bottom of byres rd when i was 15 , it became the volcano then it was in the flim trainspotting then it burnt doon :(
what was yours

Cinders.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Bridie wrote:That Simple Minds video was maybe Clouds?

Is it the same building as the Penthouse above the Apollo, cant seem to remember if it was called satelite city before or after clouds, cant seem to recognise that interior. The lift i can remember with the mirrors at the penthouse, expereinced this a couple of times while in the lift going up to the dance floor entrance on the top floor, someone (i hope it was a female kept nipping my arse) in the crowded lift, whoever it was wanted a reaction to make ye say "stop nippin ma arse" but i never flinched and kept lookin forward. Good days. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Mori wrote:
Bridie wrote:That Simple Minds video was maybe Clouds?

Is it the same building as the Penthouse above the Apollo, cant seem to remember if it was called satelite city before or after clouds, cant seem to recognise that interior. The lift i can remember with the mirrors at the penthouse, expereinced this a couple of times while in the lift going up to the dance floor entrance on the top floor, someone (i hope it was a female kept nipping my arse) in the crowded lift, whoever it was wanted a reaction to make ye say "stop nippin ma arse" but i never flinched and kept lookin forward. Good days. :D

It was Clouds (above the Apollo) when I ventured in around either 1971/2 or 3. Lift ( no one in the lift with me so I didn't pinch your arse) :D glitterball/lots of mirrors and I remember a bouncer telling me I looked out of place - I took that as a compliment - I might have been wrong thinking back to what I used to wear then.
Simple Minds played a concert in Clouds and so did Focus and SAHB (?) but can't remember if I saw them there.
It was Clouds first and then Satellite City.

sorry for the interruption to this thread topic but this is amazing.... says the prog rocker :)

Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 pm

machanalan wrote:What was the first club you got into?

Cathouse @ Hollywood Studios
dazza
-
-

Postby K9_Mac » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47 am

The Cathouse had moved out and it was the Rat Trap by the time I went there, but that was the first glasgow club I went to.

I have vague memories of going to a pub when I was about 15 (I'm 33 now) and it was in between the Broomielaw and St Enoch (near the mattress place) and you had to go upstairs. Any ideas? Can't remember much more than that....

I think my mum mentioned my Uncle used to manage the Locarno (sp?) on Sauchiehall St, was that where The Garage is now?

Riverside club was another place we went to a few nights in. I think ordinarily it was a Ceilidh club or something? Near Fury Murrays.

A few others I remember,
Reds on Sauchiehall Street.
Trash & The Shack at the old Follies.
The Cellar (I remember it being close to George square and the first Glasgow bar I got served in at age 15 ::): but I was usually drunk by the time I arrived there).
Industria (now the Cathouse)
Strawberry Fields. I think we paid £15 to get in but it was a free bar all night. Hazy hazy memories.another underage haunt ::):
Also vaguely remember drinking in a bar opposite McDonald's on Argyle St. It was just under the heilanman's umbrella.

Someone mentioned Edwards earlier. That sounds familiar too. Where was it? As you can tell the "know your limits" campaign wasn't out in 1995 - 2005 and I didn't know mine :oops:
K9_Mac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Goliath » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:46 pm

K9_Mac wrote:
The Cellar (I remember it being close to George square and the first Glasgow bar I got served in at age 15 ::): but I was usually drunk by the time I arrived there).

Someone mentioned Edwards earlier. That sounds familiar too. Where was it?

The Cellar was at the top of Miller Street, I'm pretty sure the entrance was down a steep flight of stairs through the black-painted door just round the corner from the bra shop on Ingram Street.

Edwards was in Renfield Street, think it became Reflex, not sure it is now.

Can anyone remember exactly where Harleys was, a Cathouse style place around Anderston way in the mid 90s?
Goliath
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby petalica » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 am

Hi I'm an Aussie, who fell in love with Glasgow on my 1981 trip to uk.
The pubs i frequented were, The Savoy, The Muscular arms, Centre court bar, Ultatech, tiffany's , and particularly Cinders, being only 20 then i remember that advertisments for some pubs had OTF, I asked my Glaswegian friend what that meant and he replied that it meant "over twenty five" but I never once was asked for any id and now thinking back I probably wasnt the only underage drinker, I remember the friendlyness of Glasgow and its people and hope that one day I will return to repay the hospitality I enjoyed from all.
petalica
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:33 am

petalica wrote:I ... hope that one day I will return to repay the hospitality I enjoyed from all.

Party at your house then? We'll all be round shortly! :D
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:
petalica wrote:I ... hope that one day I will return to repay the hospitality I enjoyed from all.

Party at your house then? We'll all be round shortly! :D

No way. There are too many scary beasties, it's too hot, and I hate barbecues almost as much as Fondues.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Punch Taverns in trouble.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/07/punch-taverns-restructuring-plan

A complex restructuring plan for Punch Taverns, the debt-laden landlord group that owns almost one in 10 British pubs, is likely to face criticism from senior bond holders who doubt the company's claims that it will create a "sustainable capital structure".

I occasionally pop into The Halt Bar but I'm not aware of many other big ones
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects