Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby escotregen » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:13 am

Clogie I have an enquiry related to the neighbourhood of your pub but it's off thread so I'll email you direct
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:26 pm

the jaguar club/black ball on sheildhall rd now a quick save (due to shut down) the fifty pitches on meiklewood rd in the middle of the west drumoyne housing estate now demolished with most of the houses to make way for new uns
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:17 pm

Minstrals on the Broomielaw. It's still there but totally abandoned now. The boat half is still there too! Also, Stepps bar on Clyde St. iirc
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:35 pm

I think the Steps bar is on Stockwell street.I remember Minstrals well YokerBloke it used to do a lot of live music.
Have we talked about Hooters round the corner in Oswald Street?
The big apple was in York Street before The Videodrome.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:02 am

There was deffo a "Steps" bar on Clyde Street..i was in there in 1988 and the polis came in and threw out some under agers! :o
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:51 pm

I'm sure it was quite near where 'Ragnarok' was.
Remember that short-lived bar!!!

Remember the Festival Bar on Argyle st. just along from where Anderston Bus station was. Quite a few prostitutes used to come in before going off to 'work'

Also, The Maggie (where Yates's is on Sauchiehall St)! I remember looking in one time (I was about 17 I think) and seeing downstairs pool tables and bikers. Never had the nerve to go in.
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:44 pm

Change at jamaica under the Jamaica st bridge you used to get a head on your pint every time a train went by.........

and then futher along straight across from clyde street there used to be a nightclub you went down stairs to cant remember the name of it though...what was it called just over the suspension bridge on the gorbals side......Carlton place was the name of the street<thanx Cumbo>there was also a restaurant here that used to cook the food in front of you...
Last edited by kirkyguy on Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:11 pm

kirkyguy wrote:Change at jamaica under the Jamaica st bridge you used to get a head on your pint every time a train went by.........

and then futher along straight across from clyde street there used to be a nightclub you went down stairs to cant remember the name of it though...what was it called just over the suspension bridge on the gorbals side
Seatle Not? around 1993-94
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:36 pm

kirkyguy, wasnt it called knightsbridge or sw1 or a combination of both? i remember going in the late 80s, it was one of the first acid house type of clubs in the city. (smilies and bandanas were a must, cringe) it had a basement and an upper floor if i remember. this was on the gorbals side of the river- carlton place.
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:44 am

Well done Gub im cringing here remembering people with gas masks with Viks in them
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:10 pm

Wasnt it also called the Hacienda for a while?

Yes, I know there was a nightclub of the same name somewhere else :wink: but I'm sure that wouldnt stop them borrowing the name for a while.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:00 pm

JayKay wrote:Wasnt it also called the Hacienda for a while?

Yes, I know there was a nightclub of the same name somewhere else :wink: but I'm sure that wouldnt stop them borrowing the name for a while.

yes Gap its was called that for a time

fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowgub » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:44 pm

ok own up- who went to the plaza in the 80s & 90s? the late 80s it was mostly a grab a granny sort of night. we used to go before eleven because it was cheaper, the downside was that we had to listen to the glen miller type band for an hour till the disco started :roll: in the 90s it became a sort of ravey place for a while and even had a few gigs- m people ,farm etc. now sadly closed down. i wonder why no one has taken it over , it would make a great pub
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:44 pm

glasgowgub wrote:ok own up- who went to the plaza in the 80s & 90s? the late 80s it was mostly a grab a granny sort of night. we used to go before eleven because it was cheaper, the downside was that we had to listen to the glen miller type band for an hour till the disco started :roll: in the 90s it became a sort of ravey place for a while and even had a few gigs- m people ,farm etc. now sadly closed down. i wonder why no one has taken it over , it would make a great pub

Here's a pics from a while ago:
the rest I'll post in the
signs thread

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Cyclo2000 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:17 am

They ran Tea Dances for old timers for a while, just before it closed. I'm sure the BBC or ITV did a wee documentary about it.
Next door (and very briefly), there was a really upmarket fish'n'chip shop, a proper sit down dinner establishment in the mold of Anton Mossiman's place in London. They were hoping to get trade from the Tramway Avant Garde types who were at that time (the early 90s0 flocking over the river to see the likes of Willem Dafoe starring in various peculiar productions of things like Chinese theatre translated into German. It was in the wrong place at the wrong time and never took off, the mime aficianados and Norwegian Opera fans heading back into town to the Triangle or the Colonial. I think my mum and dad went once and didn't rate it, but I never heard of anyone else go.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects