Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Club

Postby banjo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:06 pm

devils advocate bottom morrisons top the north british electrical and cycle warehouse top right yellow sign.also after the pub on hope st was called reids he changed the name to just nuts.millar reid was the chairman of partick thistle and owned the esquire house as well at that time.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:35 pm

Cheers guys.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Springburn Boy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:47 am

bri2063 wrote:what was rufus T firefly on hope st formally known as .anyone

Was Rufus T's not known as Reids? the front was painted Red and looked like a big pillar box :D
Where ye gaun wi' that Jobbie?
Springburn Boy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Springburn Boy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:50 am

HollowHorn wrote:Someone posted the name of this pub recently, but I've forgotten it again.
Circa 1980:

Was it not called Morrisons???
Where ye gaun wi' that Jobbie?
Springburn Boy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:50 am

Springburn Boy wrote:
bri2063 wrote:what was rufus T firefly on hope st formally known as .anyone

Was Rufus T's not known as Reids? the front was painted Red and looked like a big pillar box :D

udrigle wrote:Rufus T Firefly was previously Reids bar

:)
Actually, the names were probably my favourite bits of the Marx Brothers films. 'Shyster, Shyster, Flywheel and Shyster - Attorneys at Law'. Beat that.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:00 am

Was the Devils Advocate the one that the females behind the bar wore stockings basques and suspenders? worst pub in Glasgow if you were wanting a pint cos it was about thirty deep at the bar with manky wee old men cradling half a pint and suspicious looking lumps in the overalls.
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 am

flyman wrote:Was the Devils Advocate the one that the females behind the bar wore stockings basques and suspenders? worst pub in Glasgow if you were wanting a pint cos it was about thirty deep at the bar with manky wee old men cradling half a pint and suspicious looking lumps in the overalls.

No. As previously noted (somewhere) on this thread, that was Wenches, formerly the Devil's Elbow, at the corner of George Square and North Hanover Street. The first all day licence in Glasgow City Centre, as I recall, much to the delight of those of us who were students at Strathclyde at the time.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:34 am

AH WENCHES!!!!!! cheers Josef i had not read through the previous posts thoroughly.Anyone remember the Dunrobin? it stood just along from the Press Bar? i once got sent there when i was an apprentice because it had been broken into and the alleged robbers had broken in around the back of the pub through a wall and up through the cellar.As the apprentice i was sent down by the tradesman to make sure there was no big rats or anything else untoward before he came in.Imagine my surprise when i found a couple of bags filled with various notes and coinage,i shouted out to big Hughie(my tradesman) and he said right i'll go see the manager.After about an hour half cut Hughie reappeared saying "wee man we have cracked it" it turns out the manager of the pub had been in on it and kinda shat himself when Hughie told him of our discovery.Needless to say me and Hughie visited the bar quite often in the next month for hefty portions of free drink until one day we went in to be met by a new bloke who kindly informed us that "that bastard Alecs been bumped......................" oh how we wept into the first pints we had to BUY in while............... 8)
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:58 pm

I mentioned the Dunrobin on here previously (perhaps on this thread. I thought I had imagined it but someone confirmed it existed. I'd love to see a pic of it.
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby swanny » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:36 pm

A couple of pubs from the early-mid 90's which I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Brahms and Listz- Opposite the old Odeon on Renfield st. Remember the floor was a wavy chequer board which
made focussing additionaly difficult.

The Scaramouche - Elderslie St. Catered for office crowd during the day. Used to have a karaoke every Fri night.
This is where I realised that "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is a particularly challenging choice
of song.

This later changed its name to "Air" or something and is now, I believe, an Indian restaurant.

There was a premises joined onto the side of the old Sauchiehall Centre (on a wee lane to Bath St.) where I was first served in the toon called "Caskies". I think it later became "Ocho".

I couldn't believe someone mentioned the downstairs bar to "The Gandi" on Sauchiehall St. I have similar memories. Me and my pal stumbled upon it as it was the only place we could find which was showing a pre-season tourney at Ibrox. I got the impression that most of the patrons were there for the free half-time pakora. When this quickly ran out there was a near riot until the staff hurriedly produced more. Anyone who got in the way of the screen was belted by some old jake's crutch. Entertaining stuff!
swanny
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bridie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:13 pm

Does anyone remember Dreams in Sauchiehall Street circa early 70's with the weird paintings? opposite the Dental School or was I still on gas and air ?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Surfer Rosa » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:47 pm

There was Piaf's on Kilmarnock Road in Shawlands. I think it's maybe called Stube now.
Also, anyone rember Faze II in Shawlands? It is now part of the expanded Corona.
Surfer Rosa
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Avenger » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:51 pm

There was a well hidden place on West Campbell Street between Bath Street and Sauchiehall Street called the tavern, I think it's proper name was the tavern in the town, it might have been connected to the Bath Hotel (long gone) - forgot all about that place till I read an earlier posting
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Re-aL » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Here's one:

NIGHT MOVES!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR4SUh2JZtI

Used to have a beer or 5 in Hurricanes (now Bia) in West Regent St. If a decent band weren't on at Night Moves, it would always be Maestros for a boogie. The Cockburn just off Blythswood Sqare was a wee haunt of ours too...
Re-aL
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Re-aL » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Also - the Rocking Horse, Cathcart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mM0E9E9Us
Re-aL
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects