Necropolis

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Necropolis

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Evening Times
Necropolis rampage by graffiti vandals

Vandals have left a trail of destruction at Glasgow’s historic Necropolis cemetery.

Swastikas and offensive slogans have been daubed on headstones and monuments, while stone structures, such as giant crosses, have been toppled and smashed.

The vandalism was discovered by tour guide Trevor Rooney, who said: “The damage is disgusting. It’s sacrilege.”
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bubblyjock » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:32 pm

How would I go about tracing my grandfather's (James Rankine Henry) grave in the Necropolis?
bubblyjock
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby the researcher » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:51 pm

bubblyjock wrote:How would I go about tracing my grandfather's (James Rankine Henry) grave in the Necropolis?

cemetery records held by glasgow city council as they would have a list of cemetery lairs which have a number where they are located
dont know if there would be a charge for them locating the info(knowing local councils they probably would charge for the info) or ask relatives to find out who has the lair deed your granny would have had it first then it would have passed to any surviving children(who would be your uncles/aunties) or your mum maybe? also any surviving relatives who went to your grandfathers funeral would be able to give you a rough idea where the lair is
do you have a copy of the death certificate? this would give the name of the person who registered the death which would be one of his sons most likely the eldest son would have registered the death and arranged the funeral if you know the funeral director they might be able to help with information about the lair perhaps?
speak to the workers at the necropolis they might be able to help you out one of the workers may have worked there as a grave digger when your grandfather died, does the grave have a headstone? try stonemasons(though the one which supplied the stone may no longer be in business) but always worth a try
hope this info helps you find your grandfathers grave
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:21 pm

does the MItchell not have records of the monumental headstones, worth a look?
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:18 pm

robertpool wrote:does the MItchell not have records of the monumental headstones, worth a look?

depends if the monumental inscriptions in the necropolis have all been collated they may only go up to a particular year
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Don't know where to put this.

Have the stairs up to the top of the Necropolis always been so tricky? Me and two guys had to get up a flight, helping each other, on our hands and knees. Very scary.

Some of the stairs cracked when one of the other guys had his knee on it.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby train driver » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:21 pm

this used to be my playground in the early/mid 80's & we used to climb up & climb down the wullie hole & the fanny hole :wink:

for those that dont know where they are, theyre behind the ivy on the eastern lower section cliff face & you could climb up them to the top eastern section, the wullie hole is only about 30 odd ft but the fanny hole was about 50ft.
train driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:56 am

Some people need shooting, so they do.

vandals
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby muriblue » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:16 am

DickyHart wrote:Does anyone know whats behind this black door at the necropolis, i know they store some stuff here like lawmnowers etc. but there must be something else in here!!!

heres a link to a photo of it, the door at the end of the bridge is the one I mean!!

http://www.pete.gontier.org/static/medi ... opolis.jpg

These some of the photographs taken from inside the Entrance Facade :)
nec1.jpg
nec2.jpg
nec3.jpg
nec4.jpg
nec5.jpg
nec6.jpg
nec7.jpg
nec8.png
nec9.jpg
nec10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muriblue
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby muriblue » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 am

nec12.jpg
nec11.jpg

As you go through the main doors there is an arched ceiling and a brick wall directly in front, this particular picture above is of the arched ceiling looking back towards the main door, the picture in the previous post shows the brick wall has a metal plate covering a hole, where there (according to the plans) is a decent sized space behind, there are three tombs either side of the main entrance, the first one either side is open, with crossed Barrel Vaulted Ceilings, others can be viewed through the small gap left, there are meant to be tombs beneath however I could not find any evidence of this anywhere, hope this helps ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muriblue
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects