Clyde Bridges

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow's Clyde Bridges

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:41 pm

A new leaflet is now available.

"Heritage Trail - Glasgow's Clyde Bridges" has been produced by GCC and The Institution of Civil Engineers. Featuring 21 bridges over the Clyde.

The information on the leaflet is also available on Glasgow City Council's website.

As this is a Heritage Trail it is suggested that approximately 2 1/2 hours for the walk from Millennium Bridge to Dalmarnock Bridge.

Plans are underway to make the leaflet available as a pdf download from the council's website. Copies of the leaflet can be found in libraries and other council premises.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Visitors/Architecture/Bridges/
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:37 pm

Evening Times

Green light for new £33m bridge over the River Clyde

A NEW pedestrian and cycle bridge over the Clyde has been given the go-ahead - at around half the original £60million cost.
Last year Glasgow councillors scrapped plans for a dramatic new river crossing when the cost soared by £20m.
Designers were told to go back to the drawing board and come up with a simple design that would be cheaper to build.
Planners have now agreed to go ahead with an "elongated S shape" bridge costing £3.65m.
That takes the total cost of the scheme, which includes reinforcing the quay walls, providing access roads, drainage and ground works to no more than £33m.
The bridge will link the International Financial Services District with Tradeston.
Development and regeneration director Steve Inch said in a report the bridge would help the continuing rebirth of the waterfront area.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow's Clyde Bridges

Postby e2wufos1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:34 pm

Alex Glass wrote:A new leaflet is now available.

"Heritage Trail - Glasgow's Clyde Bridges" has been produced by GCC and The Institution of Civil Engineers. Featuring 21 bridges over the Clyde.

The information on the leaflet is also available on Glasgow City Council's website.

As this is a Heritage Trail it is suggested that approximately 2 1/2 hours for the walk from Millennium Bridge to Dalmarnock Bridge.

Plans are underway to make the leaflet available as a pdf download from the council's website. Copies of the leaflet can be found in libraries and other council premises.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Visitors/Architecture/Bridges/

I went into Anniesland Library today to get this leaflet and they know nothing about it, any idea where I might get a couple of copies for myself and a couple of mates who'd be interested in this leaflet?

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi e2wufos1

if you PM me with your address I will send you a copy. It may take a bit of time for me to get more for your friends but I am happy to get these for you.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:35 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Hi e2wufos1

if you PM me with your address I will send you a copy. It may take a bit of time for me to get more for your friends but I am happy to get these for you.
Alex, Forgot to say I received the leaflet last week many thanks

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:44 pm

Millenium bridge - right before someone tried to cause an earthquake on it ;)

Ever noticed the over-elaborat locking mechanism on the gates?

McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:10 pm

Central Station bridge looking up river.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Clyde Bridges

Postby Mori » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Bridge has art and soul of 2014

THE Kingston Bridge in Glasgow is to become the unusual location for a dramatic new series of art works.
Street artist Sam Bates has been commissioned to paint nine murals of sportsmen and women on the bridge's support columns.
One has already been completed and shows a grim-faced speed cyclist going for gold.
The outline of a pole-vaulter can be seen on another one of the giant concrete columns and further works will include hockey, swimming, lawn bowls, running, gymnastics and netball.

Image Image Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:38 pm

[quote="MoriTHE Kingston Bridge in Glasgow is to become the unusual location for a dramatic new series of art works.
Street artist Sam Bates has been commissioned to paint nine murals of sportsmen and women on the bridge's support columns.
One has already been completed and shows a grim-faced speed cyclist going for gold.
The outline of a pole-vaulter can be seen on another one of the giant concrete columns and further works will include hockey, swimming, lawn bowls, running, gymnastics and netball.[/quote]

I think these murals are a great idea! They are certainly much more pleasing to the eye than the ad for the "SCWS" which stands out like the proverbial sore thumb on the picture of the railway bridge that i have hanging on one of my walls. The murals are all the more pleasing because they also feature a cyclist. Hey Mori, how did you know the cyclist was going for gold, couldn't he have been going just for the fun of it?
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Well, that clears up one wee mystery for me anyway. Walked (or more realistically staggered :oops: ) past these late on the night of the M74 walk, and remember thinking that I hadn't noticed them before, but some of them already looked weathered.

Not sure that I don't prefer the sketches to the final product if the three pictured are typical examples, mind.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby conn75 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Just read the whole of that first post there. Excellent stuff. Surely the makings of a wee book in there?
http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:32 pm

Dugald wrote:Hey Mori, how did you know the cyclist was going for gold, couldn't he have been going just for the fun of it?
If you look very closely you can see Henry Kelly's wee face reflected in his helmet …
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:22 pm

From October 2007:

All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby bilco8 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:13 pm

Ongoing travails....
Error: Witty comment not found
bilco8
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:02 pm

The link on the one Alex has posted seems to be a dead one.

i jut came across >this< one for a downlaod of this leaflet.

:D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects