Convent of the Good Shepherd

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Margaret » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Ninatoo
They were closed for a number of months so might be worthwhile trying again.
Margaret
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:25 pm

ninatoo wrote:On another note, I know that Glasgow Airport was built over an old cemetery and apparently some of the grave markers are still there at the far end of one of the runways. Anyone know about that?
Nina

Being from Renfrew, yes...
The Runway isn't built over a Cemetery but at the northern end, the runway stops just short of the Black Cart water. It's confluence with the White Cart is nearby.
On the other side of the river, directly in the flight path was the Old Inchinnan Parish Church. This was demolished (I think there are still a few small fragments of floor left) and the poles for landing lights start in it's grounds. The tomb of Lord Blythswood, he of the Blythswood Estate (now golf course) and the Glasgow square is in the grounds of the former church.
I used to go there to watch planes as a boy.
It's all fenced off so I guess access would be by subterfuge.

Family in Renfrew for decades but Dad born in Adelaide. :)
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:44 pm

All Hallow's Church at Inchinnan - pic. on Scran site but you'll need membership (you an academic or know one?) to see large image.

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-121-897-C&PHPSESSID=bf6dff55730263e4bc0b9908b92ddbf8&scache=4s4bybbzpv&searchdb=scran
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:19 am

Thanks all, I will give the library another try soon. I am lucky enough to have a lot of detail about the man buried at Dalbeth, since he died in 1855, which was a good year for certificates in Scotland, with a LOT of detail in them.

Aha! I know now why I knew about the Inchinnan church etc. I have another ancestor that was born in Inchinnan. Also Erskine.

Thanks for the additional information ghiribizzo. I found some info about this church:

http://www.happyhaggis.co.uk/inchinnan.htm

Nina
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Convent of the Good Shepherd

Postby cambusken » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:12 pm

I went to the Good Shepherd Primary, whose entrance was a couple of steps further on. The house in the photo was a private house during my time (late 50's). It had a green wooden hut at the side, which served as a sweetie shop. I am afraid I committed my only act of larcenary there, when I stole a sweetie from a pile while the shopkeepe's back was turned. Like a good Catholic boy, I have been paying got it ever since. Please forgive me whoever you are (I gave some money for the black babies ;-(
cambusken
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects