Ruchazie, old and new

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Ruchazie, old and new

Postby cell » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Is this any use to you? Use the slider to move between the old map and google earth, dropdown menu on the right allows you to change the modern overlay, dropdown on the left the old map, you can zoom in and out as well.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16 ... FFFFFFFFFF

There are more old maps with larger scales if you click on the "Find by place" select the series that you want on the left (25" to the mile has great detail), move the map around, then click on the point of interest, a list of maps should appear on the right, click on one and it will open in a new window.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82891857#zoom=4 ... &layers=BT
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weskyman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:36 pm

I recently returned and had a look round the ruins of Craigend House in the woods at Croftcroighn Road. Spring has not quite started to bloom so a lot more can be seen in the absence of flowering trees, plants and bushes.

Because it's a long time since I uploaded images my comments make more sense if read in reverse order from the bottom up. Sorry! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"No-one knows what no-one said"
weskyman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Good photos. are there any plans to build on this area?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weskyman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Good photos. are there any plans to build on this area?

No plans. I doubt they would ever build on this area as it has been woodland since records began, albeit with a stately house/clubhouse in the middle for a period of time between the 19th century and the 50s/60s. It isn't a particularly large area either and it's very uneven, a lot of work would have to be done to make the ground level and stable which would be expensive for developers. The flats at Boghall Street and Ruchazie and St Philips primary as well as the church have been demolished so there's a lot of land in the area more readily available for house building
"No-one knows what no-one said"
weskyman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Huggy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 am

I remember Gartcraig House as the Haunted Hoose, apparently there was also a large gunpowder magazine nearby, probably serviced by the canal & wouldn't be too near the house? Gunpowder presumably needed for quarries, collieries, the militia? etc!
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects