Irn Bru

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Irn Bru posters in Glasgow

Postby Gary Brown » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:27 pm

There was a poster in Glasgow (well billboard) that is driving me mad as I can't find it anywhere. It was an Irn Bru one of Santa and his Reindeer but the deer had stopped rather quickly to get a look at an Irn Bru ad and Santa had gone right up his rear end. It wasmn't up long but it was crackin'. My sis is doing a project on Irn Bru ads has anyone got a pic of it at all? Can't find it on the Irn Bru site. I wanna say it was on the run from Rutherglen to Gallowgate on a billboard a few years back.

Same thing as the Goth poster above Central - wasn't there long.

Zag
Gary Brown
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Irn Bru posters in Glasgow

Postby Dot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:37 pm

No idea how to help you but if it was up to me I would ring or e-mail Marketing/Advertising people at Irn Bru.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Irn Bru posters in Glasgow

Postby halfbottle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:03 pm

have a gander on the irn bru site

they have old ad's and videos..worth a look
chips and cheese and a tin a bru
halfbottle
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Irn Bru

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:36 am

Herald

End of era as Irn-Bru chief steps down from family firm

The end of an era for one of Scotland's most iconic companies was signalled yesterday when Robin Barr, chairman of AG Barr, announced he is stepping down from his role at the helm of the family firm.
Mr Barr, whose great-grandfather began the soft drinks company in 1875, said that the "time is right" to give up his position after 31 years as chairman and almost 49 years with A G Barr.
He said: "Over the years it has been super to be the name on the door and to have the success of the business reflecting on you because your name is on the door. But it would be foolish to think that it was one operator at the top who achieved it all.
"The reason it has done well is because of everybody who works in the place and not just me. It is the 950 people that we employ who make the business.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:17 am

I didn't know where to post this, after a lot of searching, I thought this might be the best thread, since it is called Irn Bru.... :D

Here in Melbourne Australia my local supermarket stocked Irn Bru for ages and it was a good seller, there being a lot of Scots in this part of Melbourne. One day it inexplicably disappeared from the shelves. I mounted a campaign to get it back, wrote to head office, had an argument with an employee who swore black and blue that they had never stocked it....arggghhh!

Anyway, head office guaranteed it had been added to the stock, so I kept looking for it but it wasn't back in the usual softdrink aisle. I eventually found out where they put it.

In the Imported goods aisle amongst the Dutch foods. 8O

Why?

Because Scotland is part of Europe, and that's where all the foods from Europe go. :evil:

(Which incidentally is PURE rot, since European foods of all kinds are all over the supermarket!
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:22 am

ninatoo wrote: In the Imported goods aisle amongst the Dutch foods. 8O

Why?

Because Scotland is part of Europe, and that's where all the foods from Europe go. :evil:

Maybe it's because its orange.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:26 am

::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:40 am

::):

Not only that it's on the bottom shelf...how's the public meant to find it?
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Label changes over the decades.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 pm

I can fully recollect all of those back to 1976 .. further back than thon is a blur.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:15 pm

I'm also sure they did one for Littlewoods. Can 1976 I think. Loked exactly like that can but it also had Little woods at the top.

can anyone else remember that?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby cumbo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:43 am

retro look
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:03 am

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:12 pm

scotland.gov.uk

Irn Bru

09/09/2011

First Minister Alex Salmond has welcomed a vote at today's European Commission's Standing Committee on the Food Chain and Animal Health.

He said:

"Thank goodness this problem has been Irn-ed out! It is a victory for our other National drink - I'm delighted that common sense has prevailed, and that Europe's decision protects this iconic Scottish brand. I congratulate all involved in securing this positive outcome - folk at home and abroad who love their Irn Bru will be toasting this success with a glass of the stuff made from girders."

The Food Standards Agency has confirmed that at today's SCOFCAH Member States voted in favour of restricting use levels of Sunset Yellow in food and drink, including a reduction for soft drinks from 50 mg/l to 20 mg/l. AG Barr use 20mg/l of the additive in their recipe. The issue will now be considered by the Council and European Parliament.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby the researcher » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Ronnie wrote:I remember the signs well. Yes, and Ba Bru was about as PC as the Robertson's jam character! Another contemporary was Abdul Abul-bul Amir, a cartoon character who advertised some brand of beer or other. (I was wee, and all beers tasted uniformly horrible. Unlike today, obviously).

was there also a baa bru sign on the clock tower at the gallowgate which disappeared in the early 70's?
the abdul abulbul amir advert was for whitbread bear which was a tv advert in the 80's according to wikipedia
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects