Glasgow Zoo

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby joemuldoon » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:32 pm

Well...... i have spent quite a bit of time over the last 6 months trying to do something about the Zoo.

At first i put in an application with the council asking that they inform me regarding any plans to dstroy the remains of the site, they have said that there are no plans however and the the Zoological Society still own it.
I tried to see if i could get some interest to get it back into some sort of useable condition again..... maybe as a small childrens Zoo or animal sanctuary, but its been impossible to get in touch with anyone at the Zoological Society or the council.

During that the time, the remains of the site have just got worse and worse. There was a huge blue smoke fire in the place on Christmas Eve, must have been a load of tyres again. The Fire engines are in there most nights putting out fires. I guess that the local builiding works are dumping their rubbish in their, and thats what ends up on fire.

I live just outside the Zoo, so i get to wander round it quite a bit, its such a shame that its gone, and that its been allowed to be totally destroyed by neds and vandals.

One of the interesting things is the wildlife that stilll lives there. Everytime i go in i see foxes, rabbits, odd birds, strange little furry animals and other beasties that i cant recognise.......

I am worried that the place will become a hazard soon and need to be completely flattened.

I would love to see pictures from 10 years or so ago when the Zoo was still in full operation.

Cheers

Joe
joemuldoon
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby rebelsoulboy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:33 pm

wouldnt mind seeing some old pics of the zoo myself.. must have some around somewhere,, anyways good luck joe ,
i read another wee story ages ago cant mind where but it was the man that owned tunnocks, teacakes, caramel wafers and caramel logs etc
sent up a lot of his workers with paint to help the zoo get a fresh look..
not many firms would do that ...

great biscuits tho ,did you know theres more than 4,000,000 of them made and sold every week...
rebelsoulboy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:12 pm

I used to go to the zoo in my younger years when it was something like 1/6 to get in. I thoght it was a great shame that it closed, but given the way things were going I suppose it was best.

Anybody else remember looking off the bridge down at the railway line and station platforms near the entrance?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:49 am

Following nodrog's example, I thought I'd just add my thanks here to joemuldoon for acknowledging, NOT, the pics he took from my site and used on his own.

Ditto for replying, NOT, to the emails I sent asking for acknowledgement, to the address he gave in his posts here.

It's trivial, I know, but I go to the bother of publishing them under a Creative Commons licence that means they're free for use without even having to ask, in return for a simple acknowledgement of their source. A simple courtesy, rather a 2-fingered salute :(
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

glasgow zoo 2008

Postby Alan Drummond » Thu May 15, 2008 10:14 am

Me and my mate stephen recently took a little venture to glasgow zoo to see what remains of the old place and we were surprised to see how interesting it still is after being closed down so many years ago.

Heres the link to my flickr the pictures will be uploaded as soon as my monthly limit is lifted

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23395533@N05/
Alan Drummond
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: glasgow zoo 2008

Postby SpangleS » Wed May 21, 2008 8:33 pm

shame about glasgow zoo, ive stayed in glasgow all my 38 years but 31 of them have been in the east end. i remember doggin school to go on our bikes to glasgow zoo( calderpark then and we diint pay to go in , went throught the park at the side) but when i got older i did visit acoupla times and thought it was quite sd when they had to try n rehome all the animals :D btw hi all im new on here but seems a fun place :mrgreen:
SpangleS
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby messyhead » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Can I ask where the old Glasgow Zoo is? I've found a site near Uddingston - is this it? I had it in my head that was off Dumbarton Road.

cheers
messyhead
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:07 pm

messyhead wrote:Can I ask where the old Glasgow Zoo is? I've found a site near Uddingston - is this it? I had it in my head that was off Dumbarton Road.

cheers

That's the place. The zoo off Dumbarton Road is Partick.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:08 pm

Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Zoo

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:14 pm

The moment has passed now, but for the anoraks, Glasgow Zoo featured several times in the Taggart on UKTV drama tonight - it even had elephants!

Edit - just checked my "25 years of Taggart" book - it was Murder in Season from 1985, the second episode (third if you count the pilot).
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:48 am

Peetabix wrote:Glasgow Zoo - Map

That photo is now out of date. There's a housing estate built on the Muirhead road along the line of the electricity cables. You can see it on the birds' eye view on Live Local.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:48 pm

There is, but as someone who grew up around that area I should point out to potential buyers that the area has a history of flooding. They should've built a few Noah's arks instead and then the animals could've went...
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Scottyboy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:04 am

Hi Guys,

I have been going to the Glasgow Zoo site for a few years now. And it never fails to make me sad to see the zoo is its sad state.

As a kid I was taken to the zoo a lot with my oldman and had a great time, I think thats why I go back so often and re-play in my mind how the old zoo looked back in the good old days.
I see from one of the post (POLLOCK BOY) that a friend of his used to take photo's for the zoo and would be keen to see some of these, so if your still out Pollock Boy theen drop me an email and get in touch.

If however anyone else would like to see some of the pictures I have of the site now, or if you want to meet up for a tour of the site, then drop me a line on [email protected]

Cheers
Scotty
Scottyboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 pm

Being the very last person to leave the zoo, in all its intirity, the facts and missguided disfacto makes my blood boil.

That's you lot telt in Latin and in dyslexia.

I have just read all of the pages again. One post included a link to advocates for animals and one post commented on the contents of the linked page. Some contributors had visited the zoo on several occasions others had worked there but unlike yourself possibly had only devoted their working hours to the zoo. Most of the posters take a sympathetic view of the zoo but identify room for improvement.

No HG poster claimed the zoo was taken to court. No one mentioned the Born free trust or quoted them. no one mouthed off and i doubt anybody would condemn you for executing the old bear with no name although There is one bastard on here who would laugh at the fate of poor old Bongo.

We're happy to act as a support mechanism and provide some care in the community but you need to calm down and use a spell checker before contributing again.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Digitographer » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:14 pm

Oddly enough, I was at the Zoo this afternoon. Astonishingly (since it closed in 2003, I believe), a lot of it is still there, although in a really terrible state now.

Getting in was easy - drive up past the hotel, stop at the gatehouse and walk through (either through the gatehouse itself or through the large gaps to the side of that nice useless steel gate) and there wasn't a soul there. It's hard to see the roads and tracks now with all the fallen leaves and the moss and vegetation that has grown, reclaiming much of the place. What's left of the buildings are nothing more than shells, with many walls fallen down. Some colourful graffiti though. By the looks of the place, burning tyres is something of a sport in the area - the remnants of them lying all over the place.

Reading back through this thread, I'm glad someone posted the name of the tiger - still emblazoned across the wall of its' former enclosure, I didn't realise today it was the creatures' name.

I took a load of photographs, a couple of which I've posted elsewhere on the forum, and more of which can be seen at - http://www.askyofhoney.com/Site/Galleri ... w_Zoo.html
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects