Glasgow Zoo

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Zoo

Postby steviewilson » Tue May 26, 2009 4:37 am

Verbal Kint wrote:More from today's visit. The bear pen has seen better days.

When I was 18 I got a job working for a local family run blacksmiths from Kirkintilloch, one of the early jobs I did was installing the 'runs' and wire fencing you can see in the pics from the Bear Pen. If I remember correctly, the bears were in the pen when we were working away installing these things. I was tempted to try and pat them but the handler said they would eat me in seconds! :) they looked like wee cuddly cute things too! That would be 1988/89, by the way.

Stevie
steviewilson
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby flyman » Tue May 26, 2009 11:49 am

jesus what a state!! i'm roughcasting a house just out by this in Tannochside i might drop in to see it in all its grim glory.
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:20 pm

From the Glasgow Garden Festival book - Enjoy

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Its roumored that there is vicious cat still roaming about that place. Can be seen at night roaming the zoo grounds.
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:24 pm

I dont think i ever went to the Zoo, i certainly cant remember going.

I do remember going to a car boot sale at the Zoo, it was before the houses/flats were put up and we drove past the entrance, thats as close as i've been.

Knightmare wrote:Its roumored that there is vicious cat still roaming about that place. Can be seen at night roaming the zoo grounds.

fuck that! i'd be terrified if i lived near there!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:08 pm

Maybe we'll get a new zoo.

ET

ZOO bosses are looking to a revolutionary Dutch wildlife park for inspiration as a major new tourist attraction is planned for Glasgow.
The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland - the charity behind Edinburgh Zoo - hopes to create the £35million biosphere-style animal park on the banks of the Clyde in Glasgow's East End.
Experts from RZSS have visited Burgers' Zoo in Holland, which has created a series of habitats to allow visitors to immerse themselves in the natural surroundings of creatures.
The Evening Times first revealed details of the plan four years ago, but zoo bosses say the plans are now well advanced
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Darkangel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi folks, be gentle, im a newbie here!

although i have spent many hours trawling through the site, iv never thought of joining! The zoo is a personal favourite of mine, was there a few weeks ago and its in a very sorry state! but just a wee question . . . .Where is the icehouse? and dare i ask, what is the icehouse?

any help would be much appreciated,

cheers :D
Darkangel
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Icecube » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:28 pm

I know where the icehouse is, been in it in fact but I'd be surprised if the vandals haven't found it and filled it with empty Buckie bottles by now. In spite of my opening claim above the last time I had a walk through Calderpark about 2 years ago I couldn't locate it again due to the shrubbery running wild and the general state of the place which disoriented me a bit. All that said if could still pinpoint it I wouldn't do so here or anywhere else in case its still intact. Sadly during the above stated visit I found that the deep well had been discovered and ruined with rubbish dumped in it.

I took this in November 2003
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrsam » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:17 am

Darkangel wrote:what is the icehouse?

Ice houses were literaly that a house for ice - in the days before fridges and freezers people collected ice in winter and put them in a subteranian room so that in the summer there would be a way of cooling things. Image Drawing off Net as a visual aid :wink:

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Darkangel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:21 am

Cheers for that folks, i understand you not wanting to post where it is, but if anyone ever fancies a wee scoot roon the zoo, give us a wee shout!

I know of the well, great pics mrsam and Icecube! took a lot of fotos the other week, was going to post but just the same as the others already posted!

On a final note, on my last visit to the zoo before it closed, I noticed in the monkey house through the window there was a hammer in the bottom of the cage 8O 8O, I was young then, but still surprised and disturbed to see that! :(
Darkangel
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Icecube » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:04 am

The Calderpark ice house differs from the illustrations posted by Mr.Sam as it is a much simpler construction - just a round shell [lined by brick of course] with a hatch on the surface, access would have been by a ladder, there are marks on the floor which suggest a sump for the meltwater. Thats about it.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:22 am

I might be wrong but the ice house wasn't in the zoo grounds was it? I thought it was somewhere else, not too far away.

Does anyone have any idea what has happened to Webster's Pond (or the "Webby" as we called it as kids)? I'm assuming it's still there but thought it was a bit strange that no-one has posted photos of it.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:02 pm

The icehouse mentioned by DarkAngel is in the zoo grounds.
The other 'one' [actually 2 identical ones side by side] is located a bit away and is a completely different type of icehouse, it having a been a two level affair with escape channel for the meltwater. The upper levels are still in very good condition and for that reason it wouldn't be wise to publicise the location, but if anyone cares to visit just PM me.

Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:25 pm

That's the Webby all right.

I knew it was still shown as being there on the various aerial photography websites. I suppose my question really was has it remained untouched with all the residential development work that is going on around the zoo grounds.

I think I'll take a walk down and get a few pics for myself! It'll be like a trip down memory lane :D
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Its still there Steve, the new housing is a bit away and won't encroach on the pond. I've got a couple of photos from 2003 I took on a walk there with me dug.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects