Glasgow Zoo

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Zoo

Postby Icecube » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:11 pm

I walked every step with you in your fantastic post Steve. I can imagine the fear of being trapped in that wee culvert the opening is hardly big enough for a dog to get into.

A pic of the cave I took some years ago when accompanied by my son - doing more or less what you did last Saturday.

Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Icecube wrote:I walked every step with you in your fantastic post Steve. I can imagine the fear of being trapped in that wee culvert the opening is hardly big enough for a dog to get into.

A pic of the cave I took some years ago when accompanied by my son - doing more or less what you did last Saturday.

That's the very one!

My recollection is that it was usually littered with empty booze bottles and the remnants of "camp" fires - was it the same inside when you took this photo?

I take it you approached from the Hamilton Road end rather than the "adventurous" route?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby garrynoblek » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:06 pm

Knightmare wrote:Its roumored that there is vicious cat still roaming about that place. Can be seen at night roaming the zoo grounds.

Went down to the zoo a couple of weeks ago and saw it in broad daylight. It seen us then leapt into the bushes. Got a photo of it, I'll post it
garrynoblek
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:29 pm

Just realised that I forgot to include the photos I took of the former site of Calderbank House.

Not much to see but here they are.

Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Aye we walked in through the golf course but getting down the escarpment to the cave was an adventure in itself, it seemed so easy all those years ago. Never got inside as its a lot smaller than you'll remember, I'd need to crawl on me belly :D

Those latest pics are from the area where the mansion house stood - where I was born.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby garrynoblek » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:48 pm

garrynoblek wrote:
Knightmare wrote:Its roumored that there is vicious cat still roaming about that place. Can be seen at night roaming the zoo grounds.

Went down to the zoo a couple of weeks ago and saw it in broad daylight. It seen us then leapt into the bushes. Got a photo of it, I'll post it

As promised, here's the picture of the large cat we saw inside the grounds at Glasgow Zoo a couple of weeks ago. (First is the original picture, 2nd is a close up)...

Just after the photo was taken, it leapt away into the trees in the background.

Comments??

Cheers,

Garry
garrynoblek
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Looks like a (bit) bigger than average domestic cat to me :|
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:38 pm

Reference: 09/02237/DC Community Cnl: Baillieston (Inactive)
Address: 2 Sites At Former Glasgow Zoo & Ellismuir Farm Glasgow
Proposal: Erection of residential development for planning permission in principle.
Additional
Consultations
Required
Date Received: 22.09.2009 Earliest Date for Planning Application: 15.12.2009
Prospective
Applicant:
Miller Homes Ltd
Agent Details
0141 248 9233
Turley Associates
80 St Vincent Street GLASGOW G2 5UB
Contact details
for prospective
applicant:
Mr John Paton, Turley Associates, 80 St Vincent Street GLASGOW G2 5UB
Fax: 0141 221 4595 Email: [email protected]
Ward: Baillieston
Type: Proposal of Application Notice
Case Officer: Mr N Rutherford, 0141 287 6055
Listing: Cons Area:
Map Reference: (E) 268524 (N) 663482
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Princess Zelda » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:23 pm

I used to work in Calderbank House for around 6 months in 1993/4, covering maternity leave. It was a supported hostel for long term homeless, single men. It was formerly a maternity hospital and had large, ward-like rooms, with three residents apiece. There were some really dodgy looking fire escapes, and a cavernous attic. Part of it was very Victorian, with a sun terrace. It also had a number of outhouses. It was a nightmare to get to, but a really interesting, quirky building. It had a scary, unreliable lift with the old lattice style doors. I remember the lane leading to it was a bit dodgy, I think shady folk used it for drug deals and it was best avoided whenever possible!
Princess Zelda
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jaffamuffin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:45 am

I was at the zoo in late 80's and the only thing I can remember was looking in to the baboon enclosure and watching it picking plaster off the walls and eating it. Was pretty sad that affected me at the time and I was only 7 or 8. I didn't understand enough but I realised that the animal in a grotty enclosure shouldn't really be doing that
jaffamuffin
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rat girl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Can you still get to Glasgow zoo now? I think i went there once in the 80s with our school on one of the school trips. Would love to go and see it and take that sad trip down memory lane. Can you still get access to it? :D
rat girl
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Yes. But, as per the rest of this thread, there's really nothing left to see other than burnt-out ruins. At most.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bryface » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:18 pm

I was down at the zoo last week and took some photos,

It's still well pathed out but as you can imagine it's hard to figure out what most of the ruins used to be

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47299222@N ... 806347573/

hope you like the photos
Bryface
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby monkey6 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Great pics! So sad to see it like that.
monkey6
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby fluffgirl » Tue May 04, 2010 9:53 pm

I remember going to the Zoo for my 10th Birthday. That would have been 1989... I remember the Poler Bear & feeling really sad seeing it in it's pit... I don't really remember anything else about the place except being chased by a peacock... I'm pretty sure I have some old photos of it, but since I was 10 at the time, they might be pretty duff... but will look them out...
fluffgirl
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects