Gable Ends and semi-demolished tenements

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Gable Ends and semi-demolished tenements

Postby alanmac » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:46 pm

I'm sure this must have been talked about at some point but can find anything relative in the search. Apologies if I'm repeating previous posts...

One of my strongest memories of Glasgow was the number of half demolished, smoke black tenements around in areas like Bridgeton and Dalmarnock, my memories are around late 70's - early 80's but I'm sure it must have been a common site since the 60's all over Glasgow. The odd thing seemed to be the number of tenements that got half knocked down, with the other side either still occupied or deralict for years until it was demolished too.
I can only imagine it was a council budget thing or something, ie. they only knocked flats down when they had new flat to house people in. But it did make for some really strange images.

The thing I was most fascinated by when a place was partially demolished was the interior walls and decor that got left behind stuck on the gable end. At that time it was common to see hideously lurid, bright 70's wallpaper, and fireplaces stuck 50ft in the air. My own grans house in bridgeton was knocked down, but again bizzarely the one next to it wasn't till years later, every saturday we passed in the car on the way into town and could look up and see my grans living room wall stuck to the side of the undemolished building next door (the purple flock wallpaper, fireplace and gas meter still attached to the wall!) This was once a really common site, but dont see it anymore, I guess when things are demolished now they're done in a day, not do one half then come backa few years later...

Anyway to get to the point, I've been doing a series of paintings and sculptures based on this idea, part of an exhibition on around mid-January in Glasgow. but I dont have a great deal of reference other than a few old photos and snippets from old Bill Forsyth movies :). Anyone out there have any pics? or know of where they could point me to get some? I'll give you a credit and of course a couple of tickets to the opening! (even if looking at paintings isn't your thing, there'll be tons of free drink!)
Yours Hopefully
Ta

Alan
alanmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Gable Ends and semi-demolished tenements

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:30 pm

alanmac wrote:
One of my strongest memories of Glasgow was the number of half demolished, smoke black tenements around in areas like Bridgeton and Dalmarnock, my memories are around late 70's - early 80's but I'm sure it must have been a common site since the 60's all over Glasgow.

The thing I was most fascinated by when a place was partially demolished was the interior walls and decor that got left behind stuck on the gable end. At that time it was common to see hideously lurid, bright 70's wallpaper, and fireplaces stuck 50ft in the air. (the purple flock wallpaper, fireplace and gas meter still attached to the wall!) This was once a really common site, but dont see it anymore.

Do you mean stuff like the example below? This isn't from 1960's or the 70's or 80's this is Glasgow three weeks ago :!: A prime example of history repeating itself.
The following images are from a recent Hidden Glasgow project.

alanmac wrote:Anyway to get to the point, I've been doing a series of paintings and sculptures based on this idea, part of an exhibition on around mid-January in Glasgow. but I dont have a great deal of reference other than a few old photos and snippets from old Bill Forsyth movies :). Anyone out there have any pics? or know of where they could point me to get some? I'll give you a credit and of course a couple of tickets to the opening! (even if looking at paintings isn't your thing, there'll be tons of free drink!)
Yours Hopefully
Ta

Alan

Free drink, couple of tickets and a mention in despatches eh? Sounds good to me Alan count me in :wink: :D
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alanmac » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:47 pm

Wahey! thats the stuff :!:

looking at that tasteful fireplace and woodpanelling tho are you sure they weren't taken in the 70s??

Anyway, thanks for that, tickets are in the post

(or they will be when I've got round to doing them, got them printed etc, etc... tell you what I'll just email you nearer the time :D
alanmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby kirkyguy » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:27 pm

PGC.. whereabouts is the second picture?...
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:30 pm

I've also got a few alanmac, I am willing to prostitute myself for drink, loose women and more drink for art.

Fossil :D
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby alanmac » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:55 pm

Good Man!!

Figured the best way to get a good crowd is the offer free drink route, its working a treat so far, and it is about Glasgow after all so it adds a touch of authenticity to the evening if everyones wandering about with a wee can in their hand.
alanmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:16 pm

I'm sure I remember seeing a bared gable end out the shettleston direction during the summer. A tennement block was demolished after a fire.... can anyone confirm this?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:22 pm

i've got one from tollcross and a couple of others from down that area,

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sharon » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:24 pm

Alan, it seems you have asked in the right place!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kirkyguy » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:43 pm

I think there is one still standing in Haghill..can i get some bevvy as well?..
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:22 am

Sharon wrote:I'm sure I remember seeing a bared gable end out the shettleston direction during the summer. A tennement block was demolished after a fire.... can anyone confirm this?

This one's down towards Parkhead

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... c&start=40

and there is another where they remolished the corner opposite Enzo's Fish and Chip shop a while back. I posted about a documentary about no-go Britain on the BBC a while back, which featured Shettleston, and surrounding area, and the guy that did the prog stayed in a flat in the same building. They all appear to be empty now.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:55 am

kirkyguy wrote:PGCC.. whereabouts is the second picture?...

Ho Ho Ho Merry Xmas
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:17 am

Who was that New York artist from from 70's who used to split condemed buildings in half and photograph the results. He had an exhibition on at the CCA last year. Was it Gordon Matta-Clark?
dazza
-
-

Postby Apollo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:58 pm

The gable end that was revealed a while back in Shettleston. Just to make me out to be unobservant, the flat where the No-go Britain maker stayed (which has been dark for weeks) now has curtains and Christmas lights up.

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

TO: sharon, pgcc93, appolo, kirkyguy and whoever else....

Postby alanmac » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:19 pm

Thank you kindly folks for your help with the reference stuff. Turns out the Exhibition is a free for all now so anyone welcome, although feel free to print out the invite and have it made into a laminated badge if it makes you feel superior, I'll keep aside the good wine for the badge wearers if you make it along :)

Thanks again

Alan Mac

APOLOGIES TO ANYONE WHO SHOWED UP ON THURSDAY NIGHT, IT WAS POSTPONED AT THE LAST MINUTE. RESHEDULED NOW FOR NEXT TUESDAY 25th JANUARY.....
Image [/img]
alanmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects