Partick Tenement

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Partick Tenement

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:26 pm

Whats the score with the tenement block situated at the bottom of Church Street on Dumbarton Road :?:
Empty flats and no sign of habitation only a light on in the ground left flat :?:

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Molendinar » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:03 am

Very good point. I was wondering about them too walking back from Safeway the other day. The windows actually seemed blacked out to me not just empty.

Another little aside tho, on church street where the new flats are, used to stand partick parish church where my parents were married by the Rev. Jolly!(1974) My aunt claims that this guy was Rikki Fulton's inspiration, but that all sounds a wee bit like family mythology.

Always fun looking at the Hovis factory lit up at night and seeing those machines looking like they're going to shake the whole building apart.

All I've found though is that it could be the glasgow uni archives;

http://www.gla.ac.uk/general/maps/colourmap.pdf

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/about/location.html

It's weird cos part of the archives centre seems to be attached directly to the hovis factory;

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/about/thursost.html

Not sure tho, think 77-87 dumbarton road might be the more modern building to the right.

Bad guys HQ?
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:00 am

They used to be used by the council to house problem teens - teens over 16 that had problems such as drug addiction/alcoholism. They caused all sorts of problems including theft from the nearby Pontecorvo Building on Dumbarton Rd at Church St. I have also heard of rumours of televisions being thrown from 2nd floor windows. I believe the whole situation became such a problem that all the troubled teens where moved out, and I imagine the inside needs some renovation and perhaps the council have not decided what to do with it.

Mark.
Mark
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DickyHart » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:20 am

Blue triangle- part of the YMCA. used to own it, they housed single young homeless there, to train them for tenacies. The cost made Blue Triangle pull out, oh aye and the shitty pay they gave the support workers meant nobody but students would work for them.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:55 pm

Yip, my recollection of that building is groups of teenage neds hanging around outside it most of the time causing a nuisance. I always though it was some sort of ned-rehab.

There is a similar place near our office - teens blasting happy harcore techno out of their windows, or chucking stuff out.

Buch of fannies.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gordon » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:40 pm

Believe it or not, the architects practice i work for is just about to start on site with a complete refit of the building. (73 Dumbarton Road).

Its going to be a homeless hostel for the Mungo Foundation. No external work im afraid (it could do with a tidy up) but the interior is being converted into 6 bedsits and communal areas.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rdt2 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:49 am

Molendinar wrote:It's weird cos part of the archives centre seems to be attached directly to the hovis factory

The Uni central garage is in Thurso St and I think that the Archive was located in the same building. The new building to the right of the tenement was, at one time, the Sally Ann. When they moved out, the 1st floor was occupied by the Turing Institute, a computer-vision research group who are now part of the Computing Science Dept. Perhaps Archives have taken over that space as well.
rdt2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Len » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:19 pm

Part of the University Archives is indeed housed in the same building as Hovis; as you walk down Thurso Street, the entrance is at the bottom corner on the left of the street. It's housed in the second and third floors, is depressingly grey and drab (not even any windows) and – I can "exclusively" confirm – has a fine collection of late 1970s and early 1980s Tennents Lager Lovelies beercans.
Len
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby martin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:13 am

I can "exclusively" confirm that fact. Keep an eye out for the Scottish Brewing Archives' open day - I think it's in November - where you can get a tour around the archives, a talk from someone from CAMRA, and - more importantly - free beer.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:29 am

rdt2 wrote:
Molendinar wrote:It's weird cos part of the archives centre seems to be attached directly to the hovis factory

The Uni central garage is in Thurso St and I think that the Archive was located in the same building. The new building to the right of the tenement was, at one time, the Sally Ann. When they moved out, the 1st floor was occupied by the Turing Institute, a computer-vision research group who are now part of the Computing Science Dept. Perhaps Archives have taken over that space as well.

The Salvation Army place is still there, just a little bit further down the road. The adjacent property was originally Peter Holmes' car showroom, Datsun/Nissan dealership. My dad bought his first brand new car from there in 1982, A metallic gold Nissan Cherry.

you can still see the odd car driving around with a Peter Holmes sticker on the back window

Alan
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:24 pm

Found this on Virtual Mitchell.
Standard Picture House, 95 Dumbarton Rd. This has now been replaced by that low brown building on Dumbarton Rd.

Alan
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects