Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Postby scottishlad79 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:51 pm

There is indeed a tunnel running from below dial house up under douglas exchange, running to a lift shaft at buchannan galleries and terminating on a traffic island just outside the old building of the royal infirmary. I know this for fact as ive been a "walk" of the tunnels, this is carried out regularly to check for any cracks on the tunnel wall due to subsidance, it was actualy pretty interesting, at one point you can hear the trains of queen street station run above you. The reason for the air coming out of the vents is because air is blown along the tunnel to stop pockets of natural gas building up in the tunnel causing risk of explosion. when walking down the tunnel towards the gri you dont notice it because its blown at arround walking pace, but when walking back you do.

I was told while walking the tunnel that were was another tunnel heading the opposite way down towards the clydeside also but i didnt see this.

The tunnel isnt used for any secret means, it simply carried some cables under the city, some going up into douglas exchange.

mystery over it seems...
scottishlad79
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks Officer for clearing that up.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:19 pm

On the other hand, thanks for the interesting info and welcome to HG :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby scottishlad79 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:21 pm

thanks, spent the night reading thru the site some good stuff on here, right interesting here
scottishlad79
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby toomse » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 pm

Corporation tunnel under Albion Street

Central north tunnel

Central south tunnel diagram 1

Central south tunnel diagram 2

Douglas tunnel diagram 1

Douglas tunnel diagram 2

tunnel level diagram

Douglas tunnel end at Cathederal Street
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby toomse » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:29 pm

toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re:

Postby toomse » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:23 pm

DavidJ wrote:Don't know how true this is - but I work in bothwell street (on the corner of bothwell street and hope street) and the floor below the basement in here has a very very odd layout. (ie corridors full of doors, leading on to more corridors full of doors)

I have overheard from someone who has worked here for a while that there is a tunnel underneath this building that passes by the entrance to what is now the cellar in Fouqets in Union Street. Apparently when it became Fouqets they blocked it off at their end as it would have been pretty easy for someone from here to get inside Fouqets.

Couldn't hear exact details as I was trying to pretend to do something else while listening in to the conversation :? I do know they mentioned something about it being a Post Office tunnel but I dunno, I was just hearing wee snippets (although there is a big post office in Bothwell street?)

thought I'd investigate this lead below Central Chambers

enter 11 Bothwell Street

the end of this corridor to the left leads to the exit at 93 Hope Street

heading towards Waterloo Lane

bet this old copper boiler's worth a few bob

looking up below the footway outside Cafe Nero Waterloo Street

last section heading to Waterloo Lane

no tunnels heading towards Gordon Street/Renfield Street I'm afraid
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re:

Postby toomse » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:30 pm

cybers wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:We have a live one here 8O ::):
See here

Love the way the piss is ripped on this one.
Many years ago i had the unfortunate pleasure of working in a Bar/Bistro for the pretentious.
I was just the kitchen lackey working my passage through college.
Well everything went well for the first week ....nothing strange at all.
Then the head chef came back off holiday and it went slightly wrong from there.
He decided that it was my initiation time. This would have been fine but they carried me through the back of the cellar down to a heavy iron door open the door and threw me inside pulled the door to and locked it.
they then were banging on the glass and laughing their heads off before they went back to making lunches and left me there.

I never ventured from where i was as it was pitch black to my left and to my right. but right in front of me was a narrow gauge rail line. I knew that the building i was in used to be a bank so never gave it any real thought after all it has to get moved somehow.

I Know i am about to get roasted about this i take it in my stride.
But before anyone fires the first Salvo please take this on board.

I Know where the line is and I know what the line is for.
My father was a little perturbed when i asked him about it as he wanted to know how i knew about it. And was basically told that i never seen it it does not exist.
When he was diagnosed with cancer i asked again and he then told me what it was but that i should say nothing about it.

Oh and to quell the doubters the place i worked was called.
Cafe Drummond
later to be rechristened Drum and Monkey in St vincent St.

So if you are an employee in there the access is off the basement fire door turn right down the stairs and at the end of the corridor.

Well this was a total bum steer

Couldn’t get an opportunity for pictures due to the circumstances - anyway you go through a door at the right hand side of the bar (Union Street end) down the stairs to three short corridors at the bottom. There was no heavy iron door I could find anywhere or doors leading to a tunnel from any of the rooms. The only place of interest was the old bank vault which had the original metal gates (looked just like a large jail cell). They store all the malt whiskey and other expensive liquor in here. Not a completely wasted journey though as the pub is very ornate and has retained many original features
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby toomse » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:41 pm

cheesylion wrote:
OLDFART wrote:i was talking to neighbour about usual crap & he started talking about tunnel under central station he worked in Dixons in late 60's Renfield st & Gordon St its a phone shop now. Theres an entrance in basement to the old arches under central station. It seems the old shops that were in arches have been kept, the old names etc. He doesn't know if theres another entrance but workers used to go down a few times a year.

I can confirm after speaking to my uncle in Inverness that this entrance does exist. He was the Assistant Manager in Dixons for a large chunk of the 80s. His desk was one floor below street level and directly behind him was another door that lead down a further flight and ended in a large steel door. Beyond this door there WAS the remains of Grahamston shops etc.
Maybe we could speak to the people at The Link and go exploring?

bum steer again

The metal door in the basement of the Carphone Warehouse (formely Dixons) leads to the back stairs of 111 Union Street

111 Union Street entrance

the door in question

to the right of this is a door that leads to a service area

view to Gordon Street

view to Union Street
the back wall here extends to about 1m from the front of the building on the footway
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks for that, toomse.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby malcysmith » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Right in a tunneling mood tonight ha. Spoken with a family friend who has stated that there possibly was a tunnel under drum and monkey which would have been relatively hidden. Does anyone know firstly though, was this ever a Union Bank? If so at the time of the Union Bank they had premises on Gordon street, opposite currently what is greggs and also on st vincent street. the premises on Gordon street sit between the Phone shop and the Blue Lagoon. So it would be in the basement of the newsagent shop. The premises on St Vincent street i think is now the HQ for BOS. There was a tunnel running beneath St vincent street premises and Gordon Street branch and if drum and moneky was a union bank its possible there was a spur there as well. This source has also informed me that most of the banks operating in Glasgow had and still have tunnels linking branches in which to transport high value amounts of cash and such. this was usually done by narrow guage railway track and bogeys similar to a mine. (rather than the ones coming out yer hooter).

have heard of three other tunnels in lanarkshire which i will post seperately and also further information on the existence of Grahamstone.

Hope this helps or is of some interest!

Malcolm
malcysmith
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:13 pm

The buiding diagonally opposite was a Union Bank, but I think the now-Drum & Monkey was always a BoS.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:50 pm

Revisiting an old thread with some new Google Streetview links. :)

Shiny Green vent boxes, hatches, railings and new concrete covers.

Washington Street

Argyle Street

Holland Street

Blythswood Street

Hope Street

North Hanover Street

Cathedral Street

8)
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:39 am

I spent a couple of hours reading all the posts on this subject the other night.

Was out on the town last night and, while standing half-pissed in George Square at 2am waiting for my ride home, decided to go up to the lift shaft building at the corner of Buchanan Galleries for a look about.

I stopped at the vent box and there is absolutely no question thats what it is - there was a bloody gale coming out of the thing! The air was neither cold nor hot - it was mildly warm, sort of similar temperature to lukewarm water.

My curiousity has definitely been piqued - I need to see this tunnel for myself!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: It's all coming back to me...

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:53 am

crusty_bint wrote:There is a tunnel near Old Shettleston Rd on the wasteland behind the Scottish Power building. It was some time ago now that I saw it but it may have ran parallell with the road. It was a large square opening cut into the ground and faced with brick. At the time I saw it, it was flooded, but you could still see about the top third of the two tunnel openings.

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to then this isn't a "tunnel" - it's a short open section of the Camlachie Burn.

The reason the water level is so high at this point is because the culvert is badly blocked with debris/silt/etc downstream in the vicinity of the Forge shopping centre. There is an overflow from the culvert to the sewer in Shettleston Road (near where the 24 hour burger van is) which helps prevent Shettleston Road from being flooded, which used to happen fairly frequently (still does once every few years or so).

If you're ever driving along this part of Shettleston Road, have a look at the high retaining wall on the south side of the road. You will notice that at several points "MH" and an arrow have been spraypainted on the wall - this is to pinpoint the position of the manholes on the sewer so that when the road floods the manholes can be located under the water. The covers can then be lifted to allow the water to flow into the sewer and relieve the flooding on the road.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects