Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Postby Timchilli » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:13 pm

curious wrote:Hello all

Don't know about Dial House or the little building on North Hannover/Cathedral St, but I know there may be alot more under the old GPO building than a room for NATO. My mate worked back there in the late Eighties and he told me there was a Shooting Club in the Post Office - yes that's right, a SHOOTING CLUB, for POSTMEN!!

There is a shooting range underneath the Pearce Institute in Govan. I was given access to it last November. Now it's filled with old computers, but I'll post some of the photos I took.

Tim
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:28 pm

curious wrote: My mate worked back there in the late Eighties and he told me there was a Shooting Club in the Post Office - yes that's right, a SHOOTING CLUB, for POSTMEN!!

So if they can excavate a rifle range...

If you're gonnie go Postal it's better that your aim's good.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Luco » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:32 pm

the hunt goes on!
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:32 am

Timchilli wrote:There is a shooting range underneath the Pearce Institute in Govan. I was given access to it last November. Now it's filled with old computers, but I'll post some of the photos I took.

As promised:

deep within the bowels of the Pearce Institute...

through a series of narrow spaces full of old computers...

...lies the old shooting range.

without the overlights...

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Seamey » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:27 am

According to "Glasgow from the Air: 75 years of ariel photography" the tunnel resulted in weak foundations of a church at Cathedral St which was then demolished in 1973.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:12 pm

We have a live one here 8O ::):
See here
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:37 pm

Don't know which I find funnier, his story,the fact that he "beleives" it or the fact that his university education appears to have stopped short of acquainting him with basic english :roll:
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:18 am

I like the notion of there being a counting house in george square ::):
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:46 am

So that's where JKR got the idea for Gringott's bank !
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:49 am

and if you look here

At least 2 pirates have been spotted in the Counting House pub on George Square! proof indeed that there's a secret tunnel under there somewhere connecting to the Clyde ::):
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:15 am

Graham wrote:Don't know which I find funnier, his story,the fact that he "beleives" it or the fact that his university education appears to have stopped short of acquainting him with basic english :roll:

:)

I believe the word is " believe " as it was me who posted that thread on the other board :D

Hi folks, 1st post here, someone gave me the link from the glasgow west end board. I'm a bit of a tunnel hunter/vent fanatic myself...been chasing these things around for years. Although Glasgow Central is more my cup of tea, as theirs supposed to be alot of hidden tracks/passages in an out of the station leading all over the city. Anyone heard anything about these?
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Graham » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:31 am

GlasgowDancer wrote:
Graham wrote:Don't know which I find funnier, his story,the fact that he "beleives" it or the fact that his university education appears to have stopped short of acquainting him with basic english :roll:

I believe the word is " believe " as it was me who posted that thread on the other board :D

I'm glad you "notticed" "their" were mistakes! Please tell me you didn't study english at uni :twisted: :P :twisted:
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:55 am

Graham wrote:
GlasgowDancer wrote:

I'm glad you "notticed" "their" were mistakes! Please tell me you didn't study english at uni :twisted: :P :twisted:

no :D :) i'm more a pc sort of person, can take appart a hard drive and put it back together again....just dont ask me to spell :oops: :D
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Graham » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:01 am

no :D :) i'm more a pc sort of person, can take appart a hard drive and put it back together again....just dont ask me to spell :oops: :D

I'll spellcheck your posts and you can fix my knackered laptop then ::):
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:38 am

Graham wrote:

I'll spellcheck your posts and you can fix my knackered laptop then ::):

its a deal :D haha

Just thot i 'd let the board know i spoke to a rather nice..rather " silly " man at central station yesterday. Was quite amusing.

Was waiting on the train going home from work and i have an hour to wait on sundays so I thought i'd kill time one way or another. 3 older men stood by platform 11 so i asked them did they know anything about the history of the station. One man said something about Grahamston and I said I head did alot of reading about it etc, and he believed it to be true. He then asked why I was asking and quickly made up a wee white lie i was doing some university work.

He then said he could go get one of the stations higher up people to help me with my research, so he walked me over to that small door just beside the royal bank at the stairs at pub, and radio'd up to someone. Next thing i'm stood infront of this rather plump looking bald man..who stared at me as if i was a crook! He said...how can i help you? I explained I was doing a univeristy project and I asked some simple questions first of all. EG. What date were the later lines built, etc. I then asked a little about Grahamston and he said their was nothing under central station accept from archways which the newer part was built on top of. I then asked about the track leading off between anderston and platform 14...he said..." theirs no platform "? I said yes there is, ive seen it before coming back from work sometimes theirs a light on..he said oh i dont know about that, might be for freight or something...and.........then their was huge long pause.. " even if their was anything down there, i couldnt tell you anyway ".

I just sort of laughed at him and then he said well why dont you and your university friends write into the railway and ask them for a tour of down there, I immediatley replied "I thought u said their was nothing downt there" ? He just sort of looked at me as if to say oh dear, and then said yeah theirs some old corridors n stuff you might be interested in, I said ok thanks, bye! And that was that.

I think every camera in central was following me after that 8O
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects