Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby JayKay » Tue May 04, 2004 12:27 pm

kn0wledge wrote:I wouldn't mind checking that out, if the manhole covers aren't tarred over. It's not too hard to lift a cover, although I bet we'd get some funny looks.

There is an access hatch in Hope Street, IIRC more or less beside the stamp machine at the side of the Post Office. It's a square metal hatch beside a metal fence at the edge of the pavement.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Tue May 04, 2004 2:10 pm

surely that would be bolted or padlocked up in some way? tempting though, may have a look on my way home, i can just imagine 10 shady looking people all hanging arround waiting for closing time! ::):
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Tue May 04, 2004 2:19 pm

If it can be opened, I will definitely go down it, onlookers or no.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Wed May 05, 2004 1:13 pm

Don't think they are designed to be opened from the outside....
I had a wee shuftie past the one outside Hope Street Post Office, similar design to these two outside ma work. They've all got road-barriers next to the hatches and blue/grey vent cabinets nearby. Should be easy to spot.
Anybody seen any others? End of the tunnel in Cathedral St, probably has a similar looking hatch (hinged, steel, cross hatch design).

Washington St
Opposite Marriott Hotel Argyle StImage

Haven't got a picture of the Hope Street one as it was a bit busy up there and I haven't quite got over my fear of taking apparantly useless photos of the pavement in public yet ! Funny how passers-by always stop to look at what someones taking a photo of ! :D
Last edited by AMcD on Wed May 05, 2004 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed May 05, 2004 1:26 pm

Does anyone with a GPS fancy a wee tour to find these hatches? I'd really like to map them out and build an exact picture of the tunnel route
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby kn0wledge » Wed May 05, 2004 1:40 pm

You could do that with a map, crusty. Just mark them all out on a A-Z of the city and you would get the same answer as if you did it with GPS.

I wouldn't mind taking a closer look at them. Could someone take a couple of nice closeups of them please?
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed May 05, 2004 1:52 pm

True... but eventually I'd like to create a virtual reconstruction of the tunnel showing how it relates to the city above and the other networks below (haven't yet thot how I'm going to do it mind 8O :D )

Do we know where they all are? Im a bit embarassed about hanging around stanks taking pics of them by myself too :oops:
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Wed May 05, 2004 1:56 pm

crusty_bint wrote:True... but eventually I'd like to create a virtual reconstruction of the tunnel showing how it relates to the city above and the other networks below (haven't yet thot how I'm going to do it mind 8O :D )

Do we know where they all are? Im a bit embarassed about hanging around stanks taking pics of them by myself too :oops:

..Oi there's nothing wrong about taking pics of stank covers....Crusty. I've done it and more :oops: ::): 8O

-fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Wed May 05, 2004 1:58 pm

aye, but yoor pure mental fossyman :wink: :D
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby JayKay » Wed May 05, 2004 2:29 pm

amcd wrote:Don't think they are designed to be opened from the outside....
I had a wee shuftie past the one outside Hope Street Post Office, similar design to these two outside ma work. They've all got road-barriers next to the hatches and blue/grey vent cabinets nearby. Should be easy to spot.

Haven't got a picture of the Hope Street one as it was a bit busy up there and I haven't quite got over my fear of taking apparantly useless photos of the pavement in public yet ! Funny how passers-by always stop to look at what someones taking a photo of ! :D

Yeah, they're surprisingly similar to the Hope Street hatches. Couldn't see any obvious opening on the outside.

Interestingly, the hatches look more modern in design, 70s/80s style, than the vent cabinets which look 50s/60s.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Wed May 05, 2004 2:46 pm

Aye... these hatches have been replaced relatively recently, last few years or so. Can almost remember them doing it; can't remember what was there before, just noticed shiney new hatch. The metal is still unmarked and they're set in fairly new looking concrete.

Maybe part of this last refit? http://www.amco-construction.co.uk/project.cfm?pID=76 (Sorry... if everybody's seen this already, I posted it on another last month. Maybe relevant though.)
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Wed May 05, 2004 3:42 pm

That is the size of what's under Glasgow? Holy shit. I must get down there.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Sun May 09, 2004 11:15 am

K'nell, are you saying this is beneath Bothwell street? \/

!?!

looks like the secret lair of some evil megalomaniac.

I thought you were talking about some stupid pipe stuffed with electrical cabling.

Why would they need such a large tunnel?

How could they build it in secret?
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun May 09, 2004 6:27 pm

That isn't the Glasgow tunnel... its too wide, its probably the Manchester tunnel. I found another vent and inspection hatch at the top of Blythswood St, between Bath and Sauchiehall Streets... is this another branch of the tunnel?

Inspection hatch.......................................Vent
ImageImage
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby AMcD » Mon May 10, 2004 12:31 pm

Good spot Crusty!
I walked past that and completely missed it the other day when I took a wander up to see the one at Hope Street.

Like the complete idiot I am, I went a wander in the midday sun out to the Cathedral / the Royal, thankfully heatstroke wasn't the only result.

Is this the end of the tunnel?

Sits on the traffic island at the end of Cathedral street, opposite the Royal.
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects