Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

BT Tunnels

Postby dougie79 » Wed May 09, 2007 4:43 pm

Was just having a wee read on this subject.

My father works for BT and he used to work in the Heron house office, now big posh flats that nobody can afford.

He worked as a jointer for 20 years mainly down in the BT service tunnels. He told me that BT ( then GPO ) had a very strict policy of workers talking about these tunnels due to MOD communications kit down there.

Well a nice afternoon in the Toby Jug A few whiskies later the information started flowing. According to my father the tunnels connect up almost every exchange and post office building in the city center area. Mainly used simply as a cable duct and for computer networking cables.

The part I found interesting is that BT did and still maintain wartime equipment for the MOD. The main reason for the vast ventilation network is that if you were to look at the comms equipment it looks like stuff out of the 40's and 50's. The reason for this is that in the event of a nuclear attack the old kit would not be affected by the Electromagnetic pulse that renders electronics useless. Therefore the kit is made up of valves and heavy copper cabling. Valves require an awfull lot of cooling.

I am trying to get some photos but think that may require one or two bottles of the happy juice. I am working on it.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed May 09, 2007 4:57 pm

::): look forward to hearing and seeing more! Welcome to HG :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby cybers » Sat May 12, 2007 3:59 am

HollowHorn wrote:We have a live one here 8O ::):
See here

Love the way the piss is ripped on this one.
Many years ago i had the unfortunate pleasure of working in a Bar/Bistro for the pretentious.
I was just the kitchen lackey working my passage through college.
Well everything went well for the first week ....nothing strange at all.
Then the head chef came back off holiday and it went slightly wrong from there.
He decided that it was my initiation time. This would have been fine but they carried me through the back of the cellar down to a heavy iron door open the door and threw me inside pulled the door to and locked it.
they then were banging on the glass and laughing their heads off before they went back to making lunches and left me there.

I never ventured from where i was as it was pitch black to my left and to my right. but right in front of me was a narrow gauge rail line. I knew that the building i was in used to be a bank so never gave it any real thought after all it has to get moved somehow.

I Know i am about to get roasted about this i take it in my stride.
But before anyone fires the first Salvo please take this on board.

I Know where the line is and I know what the line is for.
My father was a little perturbed when i asked him about it as he wanted to know how i knew about it. And was basically told that i never seen it it does not exist.
When he was diagnosed with cancer i asked again and he then told me what it was but that i should say nothing about it.

Oh and to quell the doubters the place i worked was called.
Cafe Drummond
later to be rechristened Drum and Monkey in St vincent St.

So if you are an employee in there the access is off the basement fire door turn right down the stairs and at the end of the corridor.
If cheese gets mouldy you throw it out...
Why buy it mouldy in the first place ?
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Sat May 12, 2007 6:28 am

cybers wrote:When he was diagnosed with cancer i asked again and he then told me what it was but that i should say nothing about it.

Care to share?
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat May 12, 2007 7:51 am

My favourite thread.It's like swapping tales over a camp fire with a bottle of Lanliq in one hand a can of Mc Ewan's in the other.

More contributions please.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat May 12, 2007 8:16 am

::): ::): Choked on my cornflakes
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Sat May 12, 2007 9:10 am

I got the marshmallows

scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:06 am

My dad remembers parts of these tunnels having a small railway which would backup hollowhorns story.

He thinks is was simply for transporting money and other stuff between the baks and post offices years ago. He always remembers a small railway engine under dial house stored at the back of a basement, must have something to do with it.

EDITED BY ADMIN
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Graham » Sat May 12, 2007 11:33 am

dougie79 wrote:My dad remembers parts of these tunnels having a small railway which would backup hollowhorns story.

He thinks is was simply for transporting money and other stuff between the baks and post offices years ago. He always remembers a small railway engine under dial house stored at the back of a basement, must have something to do with it.

Then there's always the tunnel that ran between the GRI and the Blind Asylum, wonder if that's still there...... :wink:
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 12, 2007 12:14 pm

used to do some agency shifts at the GRI and not knowing the hospital that well always ued the excuse that I was lost when caught wandering in the basement. There is alot of strange passages down there many large iron locked doors and the distinct "glasgow subway smell"

I remember a few doors with vents on them and there was alway quite a wind blowing out of them with that underground smell.

I worked mainly at the victoria inf and it has it share of odd tunnels. Dont know where they go large gates in the way but agin that smell and a lot of wind blowing out of them.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Graham » Sat May 12, 2007 5:40 pm

dougie79 wrote:used to do some agency shifts at the GRI and not knowing the hospital that well always ued the excuse that I was lost when caught wandering in the basement. There is alot of strange passages down there many large iron locked doors and the distinct "glasgow subway smell"

I remember a few doors with vents on them and there was alway quite a wind blowing out of them with that underground smell.

I worked mainly at the victoria inf and it has it share of odd tunnels. Dont know where they go large gates in the way but agin that smell and a lot of wind blowing out of them.

The doctors and nurses used to use the tunnel at the GRI as a shortcut (up until the 50s anyway) although from what I'm told by my mum it was a bit scary for a young nurse on her own.
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:59 pm

Wish I had found that while on my travels. Dont know if its still there, suppose it will be but closed up.

Im a grown man and I got scared duing night shifts, those big old victorian hospitals sure look nice during the day but at night when roaming the corridors well its a different story.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cybers » Sat May 12, 2007 9:00 pm

scallopboy wrote:
cybers wrote:When he was diagnosed with cancer i asked again and he then told me what it was but that i should say nothing about it.

Care to share?

Mail cash and a rumour of artifacts in case of war and invasion.
If cheese gets mouldy you throw it out...
Why buy it mouldy in the first place ?
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat May 12, 2007 9:59 pm

Are we going to keep this thread running or just reveal the mundane truth?

Pffffttttt!! Carry on....
dazza
-
-

Postby dougie79 » Sun May 13, 2007 1:59 pm

well as soon as i find out the truth we will put an end to it!

not long now, trust me ;-)
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects