Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Postby dnsh_dani » Thu May 21, 2009 11:12 am

The GPO/BT have a pattern for anti-battledamage buildings the bt tower in birmingham is nuke proof apparently
but this doesnt stop me from dropping from dropping my phone and breaking it :)
dnsh_dani
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby paulmul » Sun May 24, 2009 7:15 pm

toomse wrote:
JohnM wrote:Any chance you could re-post your pictures toomse? They seem to have been deleted...

As a precaution I’ve removed all diagrams that could be classed as sensitive information from my posts as unknown parties have been messing with my Photobucket account. Shame this has to spoil things for the whole site. While on the subject of security - to what extent are members allowed to post sensitive information? For example if I posted diagrams of what’s really below Kentigern House or security drawings for Faslane would the MOD close down this site? Is there a limit or does anything go?

Only one way to find out, what is under Kentigern House? :twisted:
paulmul
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby toomse » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:21 pm

c’mon Admin – lets have an opinion or some direction here
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Admin have all been taken in for 'questioning'.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:13 pm

JayKay wrote:Admin have all been taken in for 'questioning'.

How true and IP adresses as well
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby fatweegee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Interesting that in a few of the shots it is clear to see the filled in glass lighting boxes near the manholes.....
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re:

Postby gorevan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:27 pm

pjs77 wrote:Hi Everybody (as Dr Nick would say),

been reading the posts over past few days (great photos generally on site too) and the oddest thing happened....

Was out for a few last night (as you do) and stopped off in the College Bar (High St) with the girlfirend before going home - happened to mention to the barmaid how old the pub was (established 1810) and she starting telling how old they think it really is and about 'the tunnels' underneath - completely unprompted by me. Odd because I had been boring my better half earlier about all the stuff I had read on here about tunnels... (!?)

So apparently these tunnels are under the pub and go all the way to the Royal Infirmary up the hill. By that point, after closing time, I was so taken aback the bar staff were telling me about this that I never even asked what they thought they were for or anything else really - never would make a detective after all. She did come out the pub and show us architectural details of the building next to it which had (apparently) been moved up from the trongate area and was used on a structure for hanging people times gone by. (Last public hanging in Glasgow 1865).

It was said as mater of fact (the tunnel stuff) and I also believe that the bar staff have seen or been in them that I have no reason to disbelieve (one, I believe, was either the manager or owner). Certainly thinking of going back and asking more but don't really want to hassle people at work either.

I do know that all around that area (east and top of Merchant City) body snatchers were a common(ish) occurrence for use in medical training. Whether there is any connection in body snatching of old and tunnels to the hospital area is purely speculative by me. Most of the reported body snatching was for use at Glasgow University which was in High St at that time (across the road from the College Bar, oddly enough).

Anyway, fascinating stuff, especially when it lands in your lap like this. I have a friend who works in regeneration within the Merchant City so I'll annoy him later with tunnel questions. He might know nothing but may know of folk who do....

Keep looking down - the truth is out there :-)

Hi there, sorry for the late reply :) just new here and was reading through a few threads :)
I don't want to burst the bubble here :( the college bar and all the staff make up a lot of stories to get people interested in them as it is the oldest pub in Glasgow :). i was intrigued by this as if there was tunnels down there i wanted a look but unfortunately there isn't any tunnels at all down there :'( Although the weird thing is that down in the college bar there is a cobbled floor... found that quite interesting :)

Sorry guys for the downer on that but I thought I’d find out for sure :)
This web site has been developed to record our local landmarks and to give a brief history on our old pubs. www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk
gorevan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mrbongo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:42 pm

Hi folks,

was talking to a mate last night about this forum and he says he was in the big GPO tunnel in the 80s. He says it runs underneath strathclyde uni and that they have a goods lift down into it. He worked for a company that was fitting a new phone system for the uni. They had to run cables between all the buildings and some to an exchange, which all went via the tunnel.

He said that the section under the uni in some places was as wide as 30 feet or more and at other places the hight came down to about 4 feet. Also at a certain point (going towards george. sq) the floor sloped down quite steeply for about 30 feet before levelling out.

He also said he didn't explore any further than the section they were working in, as it was in pitch darkness and generally, the whole place gave him the creeps!

Sorry, no great revellations, but there you go.

Cheers, bongo
mrbongo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:57 am

How many more mates do you have and do they all live up this close?

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:44 am

I have a mate who is convinced that is Cathcart Road.And he lives up a close too.Or did he mate up a close in Cathcart Road. I have forgotten.Anyway he worked for BT too.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrbongo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:17 pm

Actually, one more that i can think of who might have info on this tunnel - he was a medical photographer at the royal for 8 years. I remember he had some interesting stories about odd and abandoned places in the old building that he explored.
Will update once i've spoken to him.

bongo
mrbongo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby floweredpig » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:23 pm

I will be over here on the edge of my seat.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby redbaron » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi,

Great thread! I don't have a great deal to add but my gran told me a few years ago that she worked under the GPO building before WW2 as part of a team unsuccesfully trying develop the jet aircraft. She described a large network of tunnels that went to various buildings in the area but that she actually worked in a large lab that required a lift that was accessed under street level.

She later went on to work for Rolls Royce in the same field so I have no reason to believe that she was rambling.
redbaron
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Knightmare » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 pm

redbaron wrote:Hi,

Great thread! I don't have a great deal to add but my gran told me a few years ago that she worked under the GPO building before WW2 as part of a team unsuccesfully trying develop the jet aircraft. She described a large network of tunnels that went to various buildings in the area but that she actually worked in a large lab that required a lift that was accessed under street level.

She later went on to work for Rolls Royce in the same field so I have no reason to believe that she was rambling.

This fits in with something I heard last week, apparently there is a large wind tunnel which is part of the network of tunnels. Its operated by a huge fan and was used to test wing components during the years shortly after WW2. The fan complete with blades is apparently still there but whether it would still work is anyones guess.

I'm sure i also read about this years ago but i can't remember where....think it was a newspaper.

If its true then it would be interesting to find it.
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allanglens » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:33 pm

A windtunnel? I would have to say that I think that is rather unlikely - no matter what anyones aged relatives say!

It sounds more likely that there is a large fan in a tunnel - to ventilate said tunnel.

Of course, I could be completely wrong!

allanglens
allanglens
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects