Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:46 pm

Took a wander around/under that very bridge in case there were maybe some bits and bobs sticking out that might have been connected with the building, but as you might gather from the absence of pics, there was also an absence of bits and bobs too.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:29 am

The phone number on the building belongs to ...

Philip C. Smith Commercials Ltd, dealers in trucks and plant machinery, 2600 London Road, Glasgow G32 8XY.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidJ » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:34 am

Don't know how true this is - but I work in bothwell street (on the corner of bothwell street and hope street) and the floor below the basement in here has a very very odd layout. (ie corridors full of doors, leading on to more corridors full of doors)

I have overheard from someone who has worked here for a while that there is a tunnel underneath this building that passes by the entrance to what is now the cellar in Fouqets in Union Street. Apparently when it became Fouqets they blocked it off at their end as it would have been pretty easy for someone from here to get inside Fouqets.

Couldn't hear exact details as I was trying to pretend to do something else while listening in to the conversation :? I do know they mentioned something about it being a Post Office tunnel but I dunno, I was just hearing wee snippets (although there is a big post office in Bothwell street?)
DavidJ
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby AMcD » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:59 am

Could be true. I'm sure somewhere earlier on this thread there were suggestions that the GPO linked their main offices and the main banks by tunnel. The post office in Bothwell Street is fairly new though, it used to be in Waterloo Street. There used to be a lot of banks and post offices in that area.

Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:36 pm

found out today that theres a gpo tunnel from the old coop building on the south side, under the clyde, up washington street past the Milton hotel, under the marriot, the hilton and up pit street. access hatches are on pit street and washington street, with big heavy duty railings protecting it from the road side. thge joys of finding old paper work in the store room of ones building. ::):
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AMcD » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:23 pm

Nice one Caine.

That's proved my theory (almost :D ) ... http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... rt=40#1382

The traffic island/toilets on the south side has had security fencing around it for the last five months or so as well!

Holland Street
Argyle Street (opposite Marriott)
[url=http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v118/copperblueuk/hiddenglasgow/vent2.jpg]Washington Street (opposite Milton Hotel)
[/url]
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:37 am

thats the ones. the one on holland street is the one i'm thinking of, not pitt street as i though it was called.

it must go under the central low level line on argyle street.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:58 am

This is so fascinating - did anyone do any more vent searching over the festive season - all you people that got digital cameras can use those to practice! ::):

I worked at Dial House and it does have a fortress like quality to it. I also worked in a different BT building in Northants and I know that it was not only bomb proof but was indeed linked to the post office by an underground tunnel (albeit the post office was right next door). The building was 8 storeys high but was all disused apart from the 7th and 8th floors - a few engineers used a store room on the 4th floor and there was a big gym hall style room on the 3rd (why would BT need a gym?!?) but other than that, it was empty. When I worked there, it was for BT DFTS which do communications for the armed forces, which explains it's fortification, but not why we would need such a huge building for all of 100 staff max. There was also all the old operator equipment in the basement (presumably where the tunnel went from) which we were always threatened with in the event of any major incidents.

There was a vent I remember being at the side of the building, probably from the tunnel.

Slightly off topic there I suppose, but does prove that BT are shady and mysterious! Or something!! :D
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby caine » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:28 am

i wouldnt say it was BT, but the old GPO network who were mysterious. :wink: its BT who are the shady ones! ::):

i used to work in dial house as well a few years ago. if you befriend some of the engineers they'll probably give you a wee tour of the basement in there. its quite interesting in many ways.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:06 am

I don't work there any more unfortunately, but it was a friendly engineer who told me all about the one in Northants.

Perhaps we should get someone a job as an engineer with BT - infiltrate them and find out what these are all about! ::):
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:42 am

Lucy Boxes :wink:

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:27 pm

Ok, I'm new here ... what is a lucy box :|

:oops:
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:32 pm

mooshimooshisan wrote:Ok, I'm new here ... what is a lucy box :|

its the name of the gray vent boxes.
Have a look at on side the next time.

Fossil :)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby cumbo » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:02 am

Can we play the freedom of information card here :?:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:05 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:
mooshimooshisan wrote:Ok, I'm new here ... what is a lucy box :|

its the name of the gray vent boxes.
Have a look at on side the next time.

Fossil :)

Googled Lucy Box, and after filtering out the entries referring to "juicy lucy's box", I found this. Not Glasgow related but, may be of interest to those like myself who know not what a lucy box is.

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/articles/lucy/lucyboxes.htm
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects