Buchanan Street Station (Not Subway)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby dougie79 » Mon May 21, 2007 3:20 pm

Just want to let you know, a wee bit of info on the buchanan street tunnel. The council is due to re-develope the sighthill area and are going to pull down many of the tower blocks there. My dad has informed me that BT have been thinking about routing their comms cables through the old tunnel in a bid to save money. ( BT sure like their tunnels ) This would replace old cables currently serving the area, which take long and wasteful routes from the city center. My dad has said it is far cheaper for BT to route their cables through an already existing tunnel rather than dig new routes or use overhead poles.

This was supposed to happen in the 70's and that little round building was constructed at the northern portal as a junction center for the sighthill area. Due to a fall out between GPO and the old railway company over money and access rights the idea was ditched. But now I guess things have been ironed out and the go ahead has been agreed.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby alzaman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:26 pm

I used to live in Sighthill when i was younger and i'm sure i only ever seen the council using that "mini-rotunda" as a storage facility for "The Cuddies" park as it's know locally :)

I read with great interest about The Buchanan St tunnel and how this thing in Sighthill is to be a junction box for a BT Tunnel after eventually sorting out a dispute with the relevant companies .. as well as reading the other BT Tunnel thread.

I'm sure there was another one in the park somewhere if memory serves me correctly ( sometimes it doesnt ) ::):
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:23 pm

alzaman wrote:Image

I used to live in Sighthill when i was younger and i'm sure i only ever seen the council using that "mini-rotunda" as a storage facility for "The Cuddies" park as it's know locally :)

Dae you mind o' the 'trim course'?
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:24 pm

alzaman wrote:I used to live in Sighthill when i was younger and i'm sure i only ever seen the council using that "mini-rotunda" as a storage facility for "The Cuddies" park as it's know locally :)

Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alzaman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:39 pm

Sydney Rosewater wrote:
alzaman wrote:I used to live in Sighthill when i was younger and i'm sure i only ever seen the council using that "mini-rotunda" as a storage facility for "The Cuddies" park as it's know locally :)

Certainly do.

With all the wee signs of stick men showing you how to do the rings n the monkey bars etc, and the course was all numbered.

Wasn't there 2 courses, a kind of upper one and the main ring one if IIRC?

Also, there was a Sea King Chopper that "planted" the massive boulders at the very top of the cuddies .. i only vaguely remembered when i seen a pic on some archive or other and took my anti-amnesia pills ::):
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gallowgategal » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:32 pm

Sydney Rosewater wrote:

And don't forget "Sighthenge" 8)
have I missed anything ???
gallowgategal
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby alzaman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:49 pm

gallowgategal wrote:
Sydney Rosewater wrote:

And don't forget "Sighthenge" 8)

Ahhhh so that's what the stones at the top of the big hill were for ::):

That's the one's i said i very vaguely remembered the SeaKing Chopper dropping off :D
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:14 pm

You have got to love the whimsy of Sight Henge. It can be a very spooky place to walk around.

'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

sight hill rotunda

Postby mikey88 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:18 am

hey guys, i dont think this wee rotunda building is anything to do with the railway.

look at this picture, the railway is in open air circa 300 meters to the left.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... 6&t=h&z=17

i think this tunnel is connected to canal street, look here at the part marked with a B

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 8&t=h&z=19

also, where is parlie street?.... ive never heard of it in my life
mikey88
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Buchanan Street Station (Not Subway)

Postby vinny » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Mikey

The railway you see there is the active Queen St line which crosses under the old Buchanan line at the old tunnel mouth on Canal St.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:42 pm

How many times do I have to refer to this map. The Rotunda is DEFINITELY the site of the north portal of Buchanan St tunnel
End of!!!
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Grahame » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:10 pm

John wrote:You have got to love the whimsy of Sight Henge. It can be a very spooky place to walk around.]

As I mentioned earlier in this very thread, it's a modern stone ring constructed in 1979 by amateur astronomer and SF writer Duncan Lunan. The circle has alignments to the solsticial solar rises and settings and the lunar standstills. Alignments to the rising of Rigel are included for 1979 AD and 1800 BC.

Geoff Holder mentioned the circle in his recent 'Guide to Mysterious Glasgow'; and if you want to see it used for its intended purpose, install yourself a copy of the excellent open source astronomy program Stellarium, and then you can download a landscape for the Sighthill circle that I did from the Stellarium landscapes page.
I spoke to Duncan recently, and he said that negotiations are under way to complete the circle as part of the area regeneration plans.

Grahame
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 am

Mr Lunan's still plugging away, hoping to improve the original site, then make it the centre of a wider arrangement by planting other stones at various points across the city: Click
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby klingon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Aye yer right-the big cooling tower was camouflage painted although as time went on it faded to almost nothing-I was brought up in Parliamentary road just in front of it and played almost every day in the Cuddies park ::):
klingon
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Sight-Henge is always full of dossers everytime I see it. Like right hardcore homeless people. Pretty scary and that hill getting to it is always a bit slippy.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects