History Project on Heavy Industry Workers

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

History Project on Heavy Industry Workers

Postby JFerns » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 pm

My name is James Ferns, I am a postgraduate researcher at the University of Strathclyde.

My PhD thesis focuses on the post-redundancy experiences of former Scottish heavy industry workers - primarily steelworkers and shipbuilders. Using oral history I interview former heavy industry workers and explore how they defined, understood, and acclimatised themselves to new working environments following their transition from heavy industry into other forms of employment or unemployment. My research examines workers’ experiences of redundancy and job loss, the impact of unemployment, the process of reemployment, and the ways in which their new employment contrasted with heavy industry, in terms of pay, health and safety, trade unionism, labour management, camaraderie, workplace culture and demographics, occupational identity, and the enjoyment of work.

A major part of my research involves oral history, whereby I interview the people directly involved in these event for their perspectives.

If you would like to take part in the study, the interview would involve spending as little or as much time as you are comfortable with talking about your memories. The interview will be conducted face-to-face at a mutually convenient location. You can choose not to answer any questions that make you feel uncomfortable and you may stop the interview at any time. You can change your mind and decide not to take part in this project at any time. You may choose to be made anonymous.

If you would be interested in taking part please contact: [email protected]

Lastly, I am looking to interview as many former steelworkers and shipbuilders as possible, so I would greatly appreciated it if you were able to pass along any contact details of anyone else that you are aware of.
JFerns
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects