St Vincent Loch Anybody Heard of it?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

St Vincent Loch Anybody Heard of it?

Postby old jock » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:50 pm

So I'm trying to get some material together for a walk on the 2nd Jan and I'm in the NLS mapping (canmore or something)

I come across St Vincent Loch, nothing that I could see in Google or on the Forum so I wondered about it

It Looks like the site that SSEB had or whatever their depot was. It would have been more of a glorified puddle, but it intrigued me all the same

Link below

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=18&lat=55.86333&lon=-4.28751&layers=6

Use the slider on the left to give current Google Earth image and you can see it maps across the depot perfectly

Wondered if natural or man made, it certainly looks man mad by the angles, if so what was it.........a reservoir?

I don't know what the S.P. below the title means maybe more knowledgeable types could assist, as that could be a clue

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: St Vincent Loch Anybody Heard of it?

Postby yoker brian » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:09 pm

S.P in OS Terms can mean one of the following:

SP Sewer Pipe
SP Signal Post
Sp Spire
Sp Spreads
SP Spur

OS Map abbreviations

I'd go with the sewer pipe option in this example, although it could possible by Signal post, but given no other railway signal posts are identified on the map posted - the sewer option is more plausible, just my tuppence worth
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:22 pm

from the st vincent crescent conservation area appraisal
Two acres in front of the west end of the Crescent were originally laid out as pleasure
gardens. In 1859 the St Vincent Crescent Bowling and Curling Club was formed and
ground acquired for a bowling green and curling pond. Tennis courts later replaced
the curling pond and further bowling greens were opened. A large boating pond was
formed to the south of the gardens and bowling greens and this was used as an ice
rink when frozen. While the bowling greens still survive, the gardens and boating
pond have been replaced by the Scottish Power building.

:)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby old jock » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:45 am

Cheers Crusty

Another mystery solved

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects