Hawkhead Asylum/Leverndale Hospital

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hawkhead/Leverndale Asylum

Postby dazza » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Lynn_x wrote:I'd love to see some old photos of the place, if i can find any!

You'll be lucky! Photos of Leverndale are very rare. Did you ever see the main hall?
dazza
-
-

Postby Lynn_x » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:43 pm

[b] I know, i cant find many :x

Not many of the way i remember it anyway, theres a few on here but they are when the building was still in use!

The main hall, sorry for sounding blonde, but was that the biggest bit of the hosp & it faced out
over the newer Leverndale??

If so then yes, i was in it many times, in fact on the ground floor level i fell through the floor ::):

The upper levels were a lot more dodgy, some of the rooms didnt have any floors, they had fell in, so we
used to walk on the beams (not very wise i know)

The stairwells were of stone and in full tact. All through the building there was old beds & pieces of equipment lying around. There was even files of some sort, i didnt actually read them but i would have imagined they should have all been removed???

The tower was another fave of mine. It only had a half of a set of ladders in it (the top half)
And we could never reach them, we used to try & stack things up so we could reach the bottom of the ladders but it never happened ::): ::):

Thank god, i dont actully know what was up there???

There was also another small building that sat near it, i think it was where they washed the sheets etc?
I remember seeing industrial size machines in there.

The main hospital building is definately a freaky place at 10pm in the pitch black!
And you can hear screaming 8O

But my curiosity kept me coming back time & time again
"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not!"
Lynn_x
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dazza » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:57 pm

Lynn_x wrote:I know, i cant find many

Here's one post-closure:

Pigeons!

There was also another small building that sat near it, i think it was where they washed the sheets etc?
I remember seeing industrial size machines in there.

Most likely the laundry. Most asylums adhere to the order of, from from to back, Admin - Recreation Hall/Dining Hall (sometimes a chapel too)- Kitchens - Stores - Laundry - Boiler House.
dazza
-
-

Postby Lynn_x » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks for the photo up-load!

Do you know i never actually seen the place in all its glory, that still looks pretty in tact to me!

I never seen it like that.

Being quite young, by the time i was intrested in it it was falling apart at the seems & deemed unsafe,
all the windows were put in & covered with boards.

It had been completely ran sacked, certain bits had been set on fire, graffiti etc

So i could never really tell which area of the hosp i was in, considering it was always pitch black even during the day, with the boards on the windows...

Photo wise im looking for them to be taken in mid - late 90's
Thats the years i was in & out of the place
And by then it was always being patrolled by security staff, you just had to know
where to hide (they didnt actually come inside the building)
"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not!"
Lynn_x
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby roundsquare » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:11 am

Wow just stumbled across this site while looking for something completely different.
I worked in Leverndale from 1985 and give or take a few years have been there ever since.
I worked in most of the wards but started in a ward up the hill in the Towerview Unit.
They were named after Scottish Ranges (I believe)
Grampian, Cheviot, Vorlich, Nevis, Cullins, Rannoch, Lomond, Etive,
The big hall that has been referred to a few times in the tower was the staff dining hall and a patients dining hall and the opposite side was the kitchen.
The hall upstairs was used for functions like staff Christmas pantos, ward dances etc.
There is a book charting Leverndales history that has a few pictures of it in it.
roundsquare
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jimr61 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:02 am

scottland wrote:I went to school near Leverndale, sometimes we would hear a loud hooter going off, we were told it meant that a lunatic had escaped. Dont know if that is true.

me but think irt

Sorry but your imagination is running away on this one.
am one
The fire alarm on the main tower was tested every week.Can't remember exactly day and time but think it was Tuesday around 11am.

Those who lived in the hospital cottages, i was brought up there in the 60's, always told this story to those daft enough to listen
jimr61
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jimr61 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:08 am

Lynn_x wrote:[b] I know, i cant find many :x

Not many of the way i remember it anyway, theres a few on here but they are when the building was still in use!

The main hall, sorry for sounding blonde, but was that the biggest bit of the hosp & it faced out
over the newer Leverndale??

If so then yes, i was in it many times, in fact on the ground floor level i fell through the floor ::):

The upper levels were a lot more dodgy, some of the rooms didnt have any floors, they had fell in, so we
used to walk on the beams (not very wise i know)

The stairwells were of stone and in full tact. All through the building there was old beds & pieces of equipment lying around. There was even files of some sort, i didnt actually read them but i would have imagined they should have all been removed???

The tower was another fave of mine. It only had a half of a set of ladders in it (the top half)
And we could never reach them, we used to try & stack things up so we could reach the bottom of the ladders but it never happened ::): ::):

I remember seeing industrial size machines in there. we weren't meant to venture into but always did.

The main hospital building is definately a freaky place at 10pm in the pitch black!
And you can hear screaming 8O

But my curiosity kept me coming back time & time again

I was brought up in the Hospital cottages during the 60's. My Dad worked there all his days from 1936 onwards.

The place was a magical extravaganza of woodland, fields and a maze of buildings which we weren't meant to venture into but always did.

The upper tower was closed off in the early 60's after a fire. Before that you could look over the south west of the city down to Renfrew and across the Clyde.
jimr61
Just settling in
Just settling in

leverndale hospital

Postby mustard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:16 pm

hi folks i am new to the forum and would like to wish you all the best for the New Year! I am trying to do some research on Leverndale and have been trying to search online for patient stories their experiences of what it was like there when they were encased. I would be grateful if I could hear their stories. Many thanks Sharon
mustard
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: leverndale hospital

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 am

Cue Fossil.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Hawkhead Asylum/Leverndale Hospital

Postby deochndorus » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:34 pm

There's a guy who travels on Glasgow buses every evening and late night, alcoholic, broken home, etc.
He told me he was the one who set it on fire ...
deochndorus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects