Glasgow City Mortuary (CPM)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow City Mortuary (CPM)

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:19 pm

The old CPM (city public mortuary) is due to close soon.
Situated at the high court on the Saltmarket, you'll probably have walked past it many a time, without paying much attention to it.
There must be a rich history attached to it, and I wonder if anyone on here can point me in the direction of any information on the history of the CPM?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow City Mortuary (CPM)

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Been unfortunate enough to have been in it once when a relative passed away to identify the body.

Why is it being closed down ? maybe the facilities are outdated... seems a good solid facility to be updated and to keep it as a functioning facility.

rcahms

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Mori wrote:Been unfortunate enough to have been in it once when a relative passed away to identify the body.

Why is it being closed down ? maybe the facilities are outdated... seems a good solid facility to be updated and to keep it as a functioning facility.

rcahms

Mori,
Its being closed for a number of reasons, as far as I'm aware.
You are right that the facilities are outdated and there is health and safety issues created by that and its cramped site.
Its also isolated from other facilities.
At present the police run it and control of it will pass to the NHS, where it will be incoporated into the new lab block on the new Southern site.
The new lab building is the large block you can now see, at the back of the exsisting Southern A&E and Surgical blocks, right next to the sewage works.
The contractors handed the lab building over on the 9th of March and with a phased roll out the CPM will transfer over at some point in the next month or two.

I wonder what they will do with the old CPM? it hardly lends itself for conversion into much of anything :?:
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 pm

There has been a huge drop in the number of hospital post mortems being carried out in the last few years, since the Alder Hay stuff hit the papers. The consent form for a PM is now five times as long as that for an operation (on the living :? ). The plan is for all Glasgow PMs to be carried out at the Southern from the begining of May. The City Mortuary will probably transfer shortly after that.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Guacho wrote:There has been a huge drop in the number of hospital post mortems being carried out in the last few years, since the Alder Hay stuff hit the papers. The consent form for a PM is now five times as long as that for an operation (on the living :? ). The plan is for all Glasgow PMs to be carried out at the Southern from the begining of May. The City Mortuary will probably transfer shortly after that.

So it's not because they've stopped making Taggart. :D I think it's been going since Victorian times right enough. But oddly enough, it saddens me to think of yet another part of the old Glasgow disappearing for good, even a part this sinister. In the city there are a million stories.....
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 am

One of the problems with the City Mortuary is access - a series of steps for the coffin, stretcher or shell (a universal coffin made of metal, which is hardly used) has to negotiate when entering and exiting the place. As we grow larger and larger in our size, it becomes much more difficult if only two men or so, are trying to bear the coffin.

As techniques develop and equiment evolves, the place is simply quite cramped and not up to modern standards despite a refurb many years ago. It has served the Cit well, served STV well and now it is time for its life to come to an end.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:20 pm

From what I've heard early June is the expected transfer date.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of it. I can imagine there are a lot of people who wouldn't feel comfortable working in a former mortuary;, even after a major refurb.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:23 am

allyharp wrote:From what I've heard early June is the expected transfer date.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of it. I can imagine there are a lot of people who wouldn't feel comfortable working in a former mortuary;, even after a major refurb.

17th May when the new hospital mortuary becomes operational, so I don't know if that includes the CPM. Its June when Pathology becomes operational in the new building I don't know if that influences the CPM move, though forensic pathology still is provided by the University rather than the NHS as far as I know.

As far as the old CPM is concerned, it might be really good as a museum, something like a Madam Tussueds (Sp?)? Or maybe they should move the police museum there?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:09 am

Someone's probably already got a planning application for a very very tall hotel on a very very small footprint but I like the museum idea.

Maybe a home for Robert Pool's Glaswegiana?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:06 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Someone's probably already got a planning application for a very very tall hotel on a very very small footprint but I like the museum idea.

Maybe a home for Robert Pool's Glaswegiana?

I wonder if its very close proximity to the high court makes security and therefore planning permission an issue?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Every time I pass it these days, groups of junkies and alchies are standing outside it, using it as a den of some sort.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:19 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Every time I pass it these days, groups of junkies and alchies are standing outside it, using it as a den of some sort.

That's the prison transport guys from G4S waiting on their next job.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Museum is a good idea - don't know if it would hold all Robert Pool's stuff, though. ::):

As most, if not all, of the bodies pulled from the river by the Humane Society probably ended up there, why not a museum for that worthy institution?
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 pm

A museum of death, now that would be a good idea.

If it can't get turned into housing, if it can't be used for anything else - I'll wager that it will be turned into a 'funeral home' instead and either bought over by the great and caring 'Co-op' or 'Dignity' funerals. My reasoning behind this, for years companies have tried to break into that area and all failed - because the premises were not big enough. Now, if this becomes vacant it would be almost purpose built or could be rebuilt after the fire.....

:oops:
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Now, if this becomes vacant it would be almost purpose built or could be rebuilt after the fire.....:

Careful, now, Del. We don't want to be giving the impression that you are connecting this building with the entirely accidental 'going on fire' of the Co-Op Funeral one.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects