Glasgow City Mortuary (CPM)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow City Mortuary (CPM)

Postby hungryjoe » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 am

Josef wrote:
Delmont St Xavier wrote:Now, if this becomes vacant it would be almost purpose built or could be rebuilt after the fire.....:

Careful, now, Del. We don't want to be giving the impression that you are connecting this building with the entirely accidental 'going on fire' of the Co-Op Funeral one.

Old Rio must be scratching an itch in his grave.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:34 am

hungryjoe wrote:
Josef wrote:
Delmont St Xavier wrote:Now, if this becomes vacant it would be almost purpose built or could be rebuilt after the fire.....:

Careful, now, Del. We don't want to be giving the impression that you are connecting this building with the entirely accidental 'going on fire' of the Co-Op Funeral one.

Old Rio must be scratching an itch in his grave.

Rio is dead.....OMG....why is it all the good ones? ::):
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:40 pm

New Glasgow mortuary by guachglw, on Flickr

New City mortuary entrance on the right. Camera phone and couldn't get a great view. Workie with a hose was threatening..........
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:25 am

Guacho wrote:New City mortuary entrance on the right. Camera phone and couldn't get a great view. Workie with a hose was threatening..........

I wouldn't be seen dead in a place like this! ::):
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 pm

The City Mortuary at Jocelyn Square finally closed its doors in December 2012.
It was opened in 1933, having been designed under Thomas Somers, who was the City Engineer and Master of Works.
For anyone wishing to know more about the site the mortuary was built on I'd recommend the chapter "You'll Die Facing the Monument" from the Jack House book 'The Heart of Glasgow'.

Here's some photos:

dazza
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Excellent pics. Thanks for sharing.

Given the nature of the place I'd expected it to be functional but it puts a new shiver into 'clinical'.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:53 am

The Egg Man wrote:Excellent pics. Thanks for sharing.

Given the nature of the place I'd expected it to be functional but it puts a new shiver into 'clinical'.

Thanks. I did have reservations about uploading these photos, and I've deliberated for months whether I should show them owing to the fact that many people here, myself icluded, have known people who have "passed through" the City Mortuary.
I just hope they don't cause any distress. However, it is an important and relatively "hidden" part of Glasgow's history.
dazza
-
-

Postby tomvox » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm glad you did post the photos. It's a real part of the history of Glasgow and although thankfully most Glasgow citizens have no need to use the facility it is important that they know what was there.
tomvox
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Its a pretty solid building and very robust fixtures and fittings that they use for the purposes that they serve, the building could easily last another 100 years, it will be the lack of adaptation and fitting of modern technology within the building that has seen its closure.

Anyone know what the future holds for this building ?

Great images Dazza, Thanks. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:39 am

those pictures are dead scary! ::): ::):
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:02 am

I remember when the Great Eastern closed down/was closed down, and a brilliant, if somewhat depressing, exhibition was staged in the place some weeks after. It was so much more effective as it was an exhibition about life there and was staged right there, in the wee rooms with all the mess and graffiti still there.

I would be very interested in something similar at the mortuary. The design of the place, the feel of it, the history etc would be ideal for a fascinating look at somewhere we are lucky enough to not see very often and would face stiff opposition to be allowed in for a nosey.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:32 am

Mori wrote:Great images Dazza, Thanks. :D

Thanks Mori.

Bingo Bango wrote:The design of the place, the feel of it, the history etc

And the smell! That caught me totally by surprise. Very hard to describe...

Bingo Bango wrote:would be ideal for a fascinating look at somewhere we are lucky enough to not see very often and would face stiff opposition to be allowed in for a nosey

It would have been a great addition to Doors Open Day 2013, but I believe the fixtures and fittings have been sold on now.
I guess it would have been considered too morbid, 'though I don't doubt it would still have been a sell-out.
dazza
-
-

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:22 am

The smell was most certainly unique.

It could be a cross between Disinfectant which tried to mask the aroma of death on the other. Due to the sensitivity of those reading this board and perhaps having suffered a recent bereavement it would be totally insensitive to describe it any further. It doesn't take too much imagination on the one hand to work out that it wasn't too pleasant.

I remember when Jackie Stirling was in charge of the place, he was a right down to earth man with a perma tan and always a smile on his face. His jokes were like machine gun fire, always rapid and always if you pardon the pun, 'near to the bone.'
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Great pics Dazza thanks for sharing
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jimmy1959 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Mori wrote:Been unfortunate enough to have been in it once when a relative passed away to identify the body.

Why is it being closed down ? maybe the facilities are outdated... seems a good solid facility to be updated and to keep it as a functioning facility.

rcahms

I think it is a bit outdated and the vans outside waiting to go in and ollect bodies are a bit upsetting to many of the public passing by. I remember back in the 1980.s across the road from it at the public tiolets some sicko had drawn an arrow on the rubbish bin and at the rear of it had written "The dead centre of Glasgow" which I found very upsetting.
jimmy1959
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects