Romani People in Glasgow/Scotland

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Romani People in Glasgow/Scotland

Postby sandabound » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Bridie wrote:A famous Romany,Corlinda Lee "Queen of the Gypsys" who's buried in the Necropolis has this inscription on her tomb;

"Her love for her children was great and she was charitable to the poor.
Wherever she pitched her tent she was loved and respected by all."

She died at 42 New City Road.
Her son, Edward is also buried at the Necropolis and his last address is recorded as being at Cambridge Street Glasgow.
Would they actually have lived there - in a gorger house or was it some kind of "resting place"?
A child is also apparently buried there too,believed to be Corlinda's grandaughter and the address given for the child is a caravan at the Phoenix Showgrounds, Sawmillfield Street,Cowcaddens(?)

Linking up with the thread about the Fairground Showground
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11544&hilit=fairground

What would relations have been between Romanys and Travelling Showpeople at the time?
Did they intermarry or just share the same sites?
Strange when you look at those areas now with a motorway and hanger-like warehouses how different it would have been with Victorian travelling shows and gypsy fortune tellers.

Bridie, in the main they'll just nod to each other, although some of them know each other well & have a chat, they won't share a ground, show people were called travellers & the gypsy's were just called gypsy's, they now call themselves travellers too, if anyone is unsure of a yard being show people or gypsy's the give away is the type of transport & the caravans, the show people in the main have large lorries (pickford type truck size & their caravans are large too) the gypsy's transport tends to be transit van size maybe a 7.5 ton flatbed & they have smaller caravans too, non HGV/LGV. oh the gypsy fortune teller at the fair is a show person, another give away is the bin man the show people pay council tax & you'll notice the yards are clean, hope this helps :D
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scotsjock » Wed May 15, 2013 6:32 pm

travellers are not showpeople ? showpeople are travelling showmen/women this being their correct title as endorsed by their own guild.as for fortune tellers being travelling showmen/women only one that i know of in scotland is james and rosemary patterson who are members of the scottish section of the guild.95 percent of them are of romany descent.yes travelling showmen/women have indeed lorries for transporting their fairground equipment around the uk and beyond these can be seen parked up in their winter yards.
here comes the rain again !
scotsjock
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed May 15, 2013 9:12 pm

It's always been a fascination to hear about the way of life and history of all travelling people be they gypsy or Showpeople.
When I first visited Donegal in the early 70's,there were rows of "travellers" with their families and their caravans lined up along the hard shoulder on the roads into the small towns. Don't see much of that nowadays.

Thank you for all this info.

We've just had the travelling funfair in town here - Cullens,I believe I don't go I'm too feart of the rides and much too old ;)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Fri May 17, 2013 10:19 am

scotsjock wrote:travellers are not showpeople ? showpeople are travelling showmen/women this being their correct title as endorsed by their own guild.as for fortune tellers being travelling showmen/women only one that i know of in scotland is james and rosemary patterson who are members of the scottish section of the guild.95 percent of them are of romany descent.yes travelling showmen/women have indeed lorries for transporting their fairground equipment around the uk and beyond these can be seen parked up in their winter yards.

travellers are not showpeople ? showpeople are travelling showmen/women

Scottish showmen always called themselves travellers, ie he's a traveller or she's a traveller, everyone else was a flattie or a chavie.

In a fairground IF there was a fortune teller in the early 70's it was one of the travelling show woman, never ever a gypsy
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Croman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:38 am

sandabound wrote:In a fairground IF there was a fortune teller in the early 70's it was one of the travelling show woman, never ever a gypsy
[/quote]

In a fairground if there was a fortune teller in the early 70s it would most likely have been Ruby Holden, who was a travelling show woman AND a gypsy.
Croman
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:26 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:53 pm

scotsjock wrote:travellers are not showpeople ? showpeople are travelling showmen/women this being their correct title as endorsed by their own guild.as for fortune tellers being travelling showmen/women only one that i know of in scotland is james and rosemary patterson who are members of the scottish section of the guild.95 percent of them are of romany descent.yes travelling showmen/women have indeed lorries for transporting their fairground equipment around the uk and beyond these can be seen parked up in their winter yards.

scotsjock, found this wee vid on one of the FB forums last night, you might like to see it.

https://youtu.be/WDqHk4DoJpQ

sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects