Sandymount cemetery

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Sandymount cemetery

Postby alcon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Can anyone help me here...I'm trying to locate a family grave in Sandymount cemetery where there was never a headstone erected. I initially phoned the council's bereavement services and got told that they only hold the burial records for certain years for Sandymount and recommended I phone The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the west end as they are the ones who have these records. I phoned them but they say they don't have them either. I also tried the Mitchell library who referred me back to the council!

Somebody, somewhere must know where a grave is in that cemetery!!
alcon
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Sandymount cemetery

Postby DickyHart » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Sandymount is a jewish cemetery i think.

why not try these guys.

http://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/community/glasgow.htm
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alcon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:07 pm

My grandfather wasn't Jewish though. Is it not just part of that cemetery that has a Jewish section?
alcon
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Icecube » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 pm

The jewish cemetery is called Glenduffhill and is not part of Sandymount, it is a distance away.
I'd guess somebody at the cooncil is not being too helpful ....... of course if you are asking them to look for Smith with no year of commital :? Its a huge burial ground with thousands of graves.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby alcon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks. I have the full name and date of death....they just told me they don't have the records for 1941. The woman I spoke to seemed helpful enough and sounded fairly knowledgeable......but still no records :(
alcon
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Icecube » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:31 pm

You'd think they'd have a lair plan.

Small correction to my earlier post. There is an old jewish section in Sandymount, many of the headstones damaged and fallen,in fact its quite near the newer muslim section off Hallhill Road. I think when it filled up was when Glendufhill probably opened. Good luck with your search.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:48 pm

In Cardonald Cemetery the Jewish section have their headstones lying down or maybe that is done to thwart the vandals.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:48 pm

scaryman2u wrote:In Cardonald Cemetery the Jewish section have their headstones lying down or maybe that is done to thwart the vandals.

If you look in the Jewish Cemetery at Glendufhill, all the stones are like that, so maybe it's a tradition?
I know for instance they don't allow flowers on the grave.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:59 pm

RDR wrote:
scaryman2u wrote:In Cardonald Cemetery the Jewish section have their headstones lying down or maybe that is done to thwart the vandals.

If you look in the Jewish Cemetery at Glendufhill, all the stones are like that, so maybe it's a tradition?

This interested me, so had a quick search and found this..
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/england/article622569.ece
"The Jewish Cemetary opens out on your right. The cemetary is shared between the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue and the West London Synagogue (Reform). Sephardi Jews, of Spanish, Portuguese and Arabic background, have flat gravestones, while Ashkenazi Jews, from Germany and Eastern Europe, have upright stones".
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:13 pm

minxy wrote:
RDR wrote:

This interested me, so had a quick search and found this..
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/england/article622569.ece
"The Jewish Cemetary opens out on your right. The cemetary is shared between the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue and the West London Synagogue (Reform). Sephardi Jews, of Spanish, Portuguese and Arabic background, have flat gravestones, while Ashkenazi Jews, from Germany and Eastern Europe, have upright stones".

Interesting but doesn't quite fit with Glasgow.
Most Jewish folk in Glasgow, originated from Eastern Europe and are therefore Ashkenazi, yet the gravestones in Gleduffhill are all flat.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:56 am

alcon wrote:Can anyone help me here...I'm trying to locate a family grave in Sandymount cemetery where there was never a headstone erected. I initially phoned the council's bereavement services and got told that they only hold the burial records for certain years for Sandymount and recommended I phone The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the west end as they are the ones who have these records. I phoned them but they say they don't have them either. I also tried the Mitchell library who referred me back to the council!

Somebody, somewhere must know where a grave is in that cemetery!!

Used to be in the 'funeral trade' and after reading your post, couldn't fathom why Glasgow DC could not help you out but something rings a bell about the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints being the custodian of the records. I'll speak to my contacts in the trade and ask them...
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:29 am

God bless'em.

Family Search is a service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Our commitment to helping people connect with their ancestors is rooted in our beliefs. We believe that families are meant to be central to our lives and that family relationships are intended to continue beyond this life. We therefore believe that all family members—those living, those past, and those future—share an enduring bond that reaches across the generations.
All Are Welcome

We encourage all people to seek out their ancestors and preserve their family histories. Because interest in family history is not limited by culture, ethnicity, or religious faith, we welcome all who wish to discover more about their family and their heritage.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/parish-registers/transcripts-index.html

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 am

I live only a mile from this cemetery, and went there a few days ago. I was looking for a Warner Wallace, who died in 1942, aged 24. I have seen a photo of his grave on Find A Grave. I know it is numbered 2132, and from the photo, I know it is within a few yards of one of the paths. I thought that because I knew this, I might have a fair chance of finding it, but I had no luck. Does anyone know where the graves numbered around 2132 would be situated?

While I was there, I had a quick look at the Jewish gravestones. I was curious to see a memorial, which wasn't really a gravestone. It looked like a fossilized tree - probably the most unusual gravestone I have ever seen. It was about ten foot high, and quite an impressive thing. There were Jewish inscriptions on the trunk of this stone tree.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects