Subway pre- and during modernisation - in colour!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Vladimir » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:35 am

It certainly does, and so it shall continue. That is, until someone else realises that Scotland is a load of crap, by its own making... ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:36 am

Crusty, if Im the beat, youre that noise that always follows. You know the one, 'tiss' 'tiss' 'tiss' 'tiss'...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:38 am

Vladimir wrote:It certainly does, and so it shall continue. That is, until someone else realises that Scotland is a load of crap, by its own making... ::):

Gonnae do it in another thread then. I'm sick of good ones getting trashed.
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:50 am

I know I just should keep my mouth shut, but its just interesting making everybody uncomfortable by exposing the real flaws in our country that people for some reason refrain from talking about!

Maybe you are just reading the same thing over and over, but I do that every time I look at this page, and other peoples comments. The only difference is that I say things that seem to make people edgy...

Anyhow, get on with it...
Last edited by Vladimir on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:53 am

heres the solution: Vlads thread

u can save it all up and release it in there Vlad
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sunflower » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:08 pm

Vladimir wrote:We seem to spend enough money ...... wasting it all on alcohol and drugs.......
.......Im saying raise duty on all alcohol and raise other taxes at the same time.

???? Legalise drugs and smack a big tax on 'em? 8O (the results could hardly be worse that the current set-up).

I'm beginning to get worried about the subway though - I use it a lot, and didn't really notice how tatty and run-down it looks (so what must the working parts be like?) till I read some of the posts here and elsewhere. It's far too near the election to take any of the current pipedreams seriously, and if it's still laden with debt from the last refurb, seems like there can be only one outcome (sorry, I'm having a glass-half-empty day). Even if the population could be magically restored close to Govan station, there'd then be too much demand at to-and-from work time, and still not enough the rest of the day. I would think. :(
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:26 am

glasgowken wrote:I really can't see this happening, and it may not be the best use of the money anyway.
As much as I like the Subway i'd prefer to see a tramway system introduced along the major roads in the city, and some sort of road bridge (NOT a footbridge) across the river at Clydebank or Scotstoun.

See a tramway isn't a bad idea but there is a rub. Sure we have cost, and thats not something that is popular, when the polititions can piss it on a few taxis and expenses. One thinks if they had to use public transport (which IMHO they should) then the attitude would be very different. However you have to divert services underground as you know how often Scottish Water have water gushing over the City! As well as this you have problems with platforms and getting trams along the roads. Consider Dumbarton Road at Partick- you'd need to have platforms. The choices are to have trams and buses running in lanes next to the kerb and cars out on the outside two. However you then ban parking, shops scream blue murder and if someone dumps a car on the tracks or just parks in the usual moric way that they do in this city your screwed! However if you run it out on the middle allowing parking you have trams caught in traffic and need to narrow Dumbarton Road to bring the platforms to the trams! Whatever way it's difficult! Add to that the complex traffic and signalling systems and it's costly.

Often a tram service adds little to a properly run bus or dare I say it trolleybus service in certain areas. I'd say properly enforced parking restritions, less dogy road layouts and proper bus lanes would help Glasgow's transport. Taking it out of the hands of Worst Group would help too! Certain folk believe the Edinburgh tram system is a bit more image over function to make the city look a bit more euro-chic. Personally can we not have a subway, tramway, locally run buses and locally run trains- after all the Dutch Norweigians and the Swedes manage...

I agree, a Clydebank bridge would be good, need to watch the airport though. Traffic would be a big concern, and it would be the the squinty bridge deliberately engineered to be complex to access! The problem is connecting it to the road network on the southside. Hows about a bridge- pedestrian from Partick/Glasgow Harbour to the Govan area, which is lacking in links. At night you only have the choice of the dingy tunnel, or a taxi as Subway and buses are stopped. I've always felt cross-clyde connections avoiding the city centre are a bit poor. Not much effort is put into the Renfrew Ferry for example.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby elgee » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:36 am

We have a "Clydebank" bridge at Old Kilpatrick to Erskine btw and we had the previous Car n passenger ferry from Yoker to Renfrew just on the outskirts of Clydebank which was declared non profitable and substituted with walking passengers only ferry because traffic preferred to use the tunnel. A car ferry further down crossing to Greenock would be of more use I think. When you stand on the banks of the Clyde in the middle of Clydebank there is only farmland on the other side (at the moment) but Erskine town is fast encroaching but the Bridge already serves that area. as far as reaching Govan by foot from the City Centre, there is Bells Bridge, the Millenium Bridge, The Squinty and the tunnel. Would you like one from Whiteinch to Linthouse ?
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:24 am

My thoughts are not really for trams to run along congested streets, there are other ways. For example it could run just alongside Dumbarton Road and the Clyde, similar to the plans already in place (or make the cars use that route). A large section of Great Western Road is already laid out for trams, and the same could be said about many roads into the city centre. Once in the centre the trams could run along the quieter backroads, paralel to the main roads, and of course the pedestrian precincts are already perfect to run a (slow) tram service, it could be done if the will was there.
The problem is there is always a tendancy for these scemes to be over complicated, hence the price goes up & up.

The Erskine bridge is a bit too far. There's a huge gap between the Clyde Tunnel & Erskine that sorely needs a vehicle crossing. Braehead-Scotstoun is probably the best location. Perhaps even Braehead shopping centre will fair a wee bit better if there's a bridge around that area. I would imagine folk from Renfrew would also frequent the Scotstoun side more if crossing was easier. As it is, at that point both banks are isolated from each other, it doesn't have to be like that.
There are hundreds, if not thousands of bridges designed to lift, or swivel out of the way of river traffic. If it can be done 100 years ago, it's surely not a big deal today.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:33 pm

glasgowken wrote:My thoughts are not really for trams to run along congested streets, there are other ways. For example it could run just alongside Dumbarton Road and the Clyde, similar to the plans already in place (or make the cars use that route). A large section of Great Western Road is already laid out for trams, and the same could be said about many roads into the city centre. Once in the centre the trams could run along the quieter backroads, paralel to the main roads, and of course the pedestrian precincts are already perfect to run a (slow) tram service, it could be done if the will was there.
The problem is there is always a tendancy for these scemes to be over complicated, hence the price goes up & up.

The Erskine bridge is a bit too far. There's a huge gap between the Clyde Tunnel & Erskine that sorely needs a vehicle crossing. Braehead-Scotstoun is probably the best location. Perhaps even Braehead shopping centre will fair a wee bit better if there's a bridge around that area. I would imagine folk from Renfrew would also frequent the Scotstoun side more if crossing was easier. As it is, at that point both banks are isolated from each other, it doesn't have to be like that.
There are hundreds, if not thousands of bridges designed to lift, or swivel out of the way of river traffic. If it can be done 100 years ago, it's surely not a big deal today.

I agree, but the problem with a tram service off main roads is that they are a bit out of the way particularly where proposed. You also have problems getting them into the City- Great Western Road has the same problem as Dumbarton Road at St Georges Cross for example. As for running down ped precincts- no way that would work as Sauchiehall and Buchanan Street on a busy weekend are lacking space at present- can you imagine what it would be like with the trams and platforms! Would get to do more than 10kpH!

I agree totally on the bridge at Braehead, but the problem is linking it into the road network, particularly to the south. Traffic is cronic in that area, and I suggest addidng more vehicles would not be popular move with Renfrew residents already up in arms over Braehead's traffic effects. Where would you link it in. I wonder if it is possible to have a crossing where the Black Cart runs into the Clyde. You could remodel the junction of Abbotsinch Road and the A8 to the airport (it isn't nice anyway) after the Bascule Bridge at the Normandy and have it linking in at Argyll Road in Clydebank? Either that or re-conver the Renfrew Ferry back to a car ferry. There isn't even a bus any more to the Ferry.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby eltor2ga » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:39 pm

For as long as I can remember, the council and PTE have been coming up with wonderful ideas for getting people from A to B. But none of them ever make it off the drawing board. I'd love Glasgow to build a second Subway but I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

I use the train between the city centre and Carntyne and I think Glasgow's overground railway system has a lot of potential for development and at a lower cost than a new subway. The trains are in good nick and it gets you where you want to go in good time. But the stations are grim. They could spend some money bringing them up to scratch and maybe squeeze a few more in.Increase the number of trains, Improve disabled access and man them.

I remember years ago, they ran a river bus service between the city centre and the Garden Festival site. The riverside is now much more developed than it was then, with a lot more attractions so maybe a river service would be worth investigating. Imagine how much nicer it would be travelling to your work in the morning by boat.
eltor2ga
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:10 pm

I think the idea of having tramways help solve Glasgow's transit problems is an excellent idea...bring tramways back into service in Glasgow! In Toronto, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) fought tooth and nail with the automobile lobby in order to retain tramcars, and they were successful and to this day Toronto still operates tramcars... very successfully! Tramways are coming back throughout the western world. Plans are underway in Toronto for light-rail vehicles to replace and expand its current fleet of streetcars, now nearing 30 years old, a project expected to cost £58 million, but necessary for any light-rail expansion in the city.

There are many excellent suggestions on this thread re improving public transit in Glasgow. Improving the current underground, making use of underground train infrastructure already in existence, and dedicated tramcar lanes to mention but a few. Inner core development is a must: without a high population density there will never be justification for high public transit expenditure... get people back into Govan, and around Kinning Park and West St. subway stations for example.

The biggest problem of course will be funding. It's an immensely expensive undertaking, but it is money well spent and a sound investment for long-run advantages. Glasgow is Scotland's most important conurbation and must surely be entitled to generous government financial aid (Toronto has just been granted a $6-billion from the Federal govt to build a new light-rail network). Car drivers have to be attracted out of their car and into public transit vehicles. Without some attempt to bring Glasgow's transit system up to the higher European standard, Glasgow will perish in a sea of bumper to bumper automobiles... notwithstanding its fancy new velodrome!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:15 pm

Interesting perspective of the subway route ( from the same book Kenny, "I Belong to Glasgow "

duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Glasgow Underground song

Postby cozycoupe » Mon May 21, 2007 5:48 pm

I picked up a cheap CD from Fopp by Francie and Josie and they sing a lovely wee song about the Glasgow Underground with actual sounds obviously recorded upteen years ago.........maybe a signature tune for in here?? ::):
Cheers all
Cozy Coupe
cozycoupe
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon May 21, 2007 10:22 pm

glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects