Clydeside development

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:54 am

Cheers for the pics Brian :D Totally agree with you Ken, that areas always seemed so desolate, like no-mans land; the gap between A and B. I wonder if there are any plans mumblings for a crossing, it would make sense given the scope of the Clyde Valley Materplan and the Clyde Harbour and Renfrew Riverside developments happening? Perhaps Alex Glass might be the man to ask?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby yoker brian » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:40 pm

Thanks for your kind comments Crusty hope im not boring anyone going on about Yoker - I'm fed up with Yoker being forgotton about or treated like no-mans land when compared to other riverside districts (Partick / Govan / Clydebank etc)...

I think there was plans around the late 1970's or early 1980's when the powers that be looked at replacing the ferry with a road crossing but cost and the need (at that time) to maintain river navigation from the Scotstoun and Govan shipyards meant that they chose they cheaper option of 2 diesel powered pedestrian only ferries.

I had posted some pictures of the Yoker - Renfrew ferries over the years and this can be found here

I read recently that there was plans for the Yoker / Renfrew crossing to be extended to operate to Braehead and the foot of Balmoral Street in Scotstoun - although some modifications would be needed to both the Yoker Swan and Renfrew Rose as there are no facilities for front loading of passengers down the ramp, ie passengers would have to board at Braehead on either the Port or Starboard side of either vessel..
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:13 pm

yoker brian wrote:
I read recently that there was plans for the Yoker / Renfrew crossing to be extended to operate to Braehead and the foot of Balmoral Street in Scotstoun.

I for one would use the service very often if it operated to braehead :D gotta love having a blind persons travel card :D
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:30 pm

How about a Glasgow version of Tower Bridge at Yoker :D That would do a lot for the area.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:01 am

Hi Yoker bloke we must almost be neighbours. Talking about bridges at Yoker think how this would impact on the area. We wait with baited breath to see what the new developments look like. Having seen the Partick area It has to be a good thing.
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

glagow devlopments

Postby hazy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:20 am

Hey Ped if they tried to build that in Yoker all the locals would blag the bricks. The houses in yoker have more extras attached to them than Gone With The Wind. ::):
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Hazy, come down here and say that mate us yoker boys would sort you limp wristed knightswood guys out no problem ::):
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:33 pm

yoker brian wrote:Thanks for your kind comments Crusty hope im not boring anyone going on about Yoker - I'm fed up with Yoker being forgotton about or treated like no-mans land when compared to other riverside districts (Partick / Govan / Clydebank etc)...

I think there was plans around the late 1970's or early 1980's when the powers that be looked at replacing the ferry with a road crossing but cost and the need (at that time) to maintain river navigation from the Scotstoun and Govan shipyards meant that they chose they cheaper option of 2 diesel powered pedestrian only ferries.

I had posted some pictures of the Yoker - Renfrew ferries over the years and this can be found here

I read recently that there was plans for the Yoker / Renfrew crossing to be extended to operate to Braehead and the foot of Balmoral Street in Scotstoun - although some modifications would be needed to both the Yoker Swan and Renfrew Rose as there are no facilities for front loading of passengers down the ramp, ie passengers would have to board at Braehead on either the Port or Starboard side of either vessel..

Apparently will happen next year and will operate to the centre on an hourly service. 0930-1800
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Rothesay dock today

Postby peter » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:40 am

This is how the old Rothesay dock looks today
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Rothesay dock today

Postby peter » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:42 am

In the background the previously mentioned a while back stands the Titan crane at Clydebank so this is an area where things are happening.
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Simons dock

Postby peter » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:48 am

Arklow Spray loading scrap iron at "Condom Quay" the old Simons dock
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Rothesay dock today

Postby viceroy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:10 pm

peter wrote:Image

I'm sure that's the boat which used to be moored alongside Windmillcroft Quay where Euroyachts used to be. Can anybody confirm this? Does anybody know what's going to be done with it? Always looked rather decrepit to me.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:52 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Euoroyachts

Postby peter » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:12 pm

Yes this old vessel lay at Ronnies Scotts euroyachts for a long time. It looks like the sort of boat seen on the river Thames.
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:56 am

Ronnie Scott (no not HG's Dr Ronnie) brought it down from Inverness years ago with plans to use it for river cruises. Never happened for various reason.

It was up for sale a couple of years ago for £50,000 ono. I'm sure he'd be glad to offload it if he hasn't already. Bit of a tip inside when I was on it.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects