Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby Mark N » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:00 pm

dimairt wrote:While I mind, your dates are a bit off: Middle of the Road didn't have their first hit until 1971.

And what a hit it was!

"Ooo-ooo-eee chirpy chirpy cheep cheep chirpy chirpy cheep cheep chirp"

See, back then, they had proper lyrics.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:40 pm

followed that with soley soley,then tweedle dee tweedle dum[honest].lead singer sally carr married chick young and as they say the rest is mystery.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:43 am

Right, so here's one for you, if you missed the obituary.

Bloke from Pollokshields, died last week. His rock band sold 40 million copies of their albums, including top-ten hits in the US and half a dozen other countries, although not in the UK. Also a handful of top-ten singles, again not in the UK.

He apparently preferred to avoid publicity, and certainly managed it pretty well as far as I'm concerned - I'd never heard of him.

Any guesses? The answer's here
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:38 am

Here's another one. he sang with this mob and moved to London and pursued a career as a writer and session singer.

Still alive , well and working.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:24 am

How about this lot, Marmalade? As this CD shows, they were a versatile group, able to play a wide range of material - probably as a result of their Glasgow club and dance-hall origins. Their own stuff was pretty good, melodic and harmony based. Their hit version of 'Ob la di' seems out of place.

Le durachd,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 pm

thanks for sharing above posts ,kinda got my juices going again in a musical sense.i love to here of the local guys making it without having to be slaves to it.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm

Featuring Hamish Stuart, later of AWB, produced by Junior Campbell of Marmalade. The link is to the Rocking Scots site.

Le durachd,

Eddy

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/dream%20police.htm
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macdonald » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:02 pm

dimairt wrote:
moonbeam wrote: A pal booked Chuck Berry for I think the Electric Garden ? Turned up with a large minder. Demanded he got paid in cash before he went on. Carefully counted out the wad of money before going on. Played exactly 30 minutes. Told the "house band" to follow what he did. Then packed up and walked out.

Par for the course with Chuck although I note that he's touring with his "St Louis Band" and was scheduled for Glasgow. I saw him at the Apollo in the mid-70s and left after the third or fourth out-of-tune song. He told the audience that he couldn't get his guitar in tune."Does it matter?" he asked them. "No!" they shouted back.
While I mind, your dates are a bit off: Middle of the Road didn't have their first hit until 1971. Age, memory - It happens to us all.
Le durachd,

Eddy

I also saw him at the Apollo in the mid-70s (probably the same gig). He had a local pick up band. It was truly awful. Probably the worst non-pub gig I have ever seen.
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:02 am

Hue and Cry, 19th Dec 2009 ABC1

Santa Claus is coming to town video http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmamykytyn/4198713587/
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:45 pm

My mate Aileen was playing the violin at this gig. She is just a young girl but very talented.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:36 pm

A wee bit more on a Chuck Berry Glasgow gig from 1970s. Last week saw my mate who had booked Chuck Berry all those years ago. He thought Chuck was not going to turn up even though apparently my mate had paid for him to fly up from London.Then paid for some fancy hotel as Chuck had got booked in and sent my mate the bill in the end.Chuck apparently wandered in "Said is this the gig".Took his guitar out of a battered case walked straight on stage. Spent ages trying to tune up. He told me Chuck demanded an extra £500 to play an encore. My mate told him to get lost. Told Chuck he was "living on past glories" or words to that affect. Chuck just wandered out into Sauchiehall Street with a large minder in tow and about £7,000 in cash in his back pocket! My mate reconed Chuck played about 6 "tunes" out of tune. Got the crowd to sing along as he "conducted" the house band who were more an Eagles "type" band who did not apparently know Chucks special "riff". Which seemed to put Mr Berry in a bad mood at the start of the gig. A truly awfull gig. My mate had nightmares for days afterwards as he had "visions" of Mr Berry being found in the Clyde! He can see the funny side of it now though. He told me he was reminded of it when Chuck turned up at the Royal Concert Hall (his last Glasgow gig) when the punters had got fed up and gone home. By the way the "House Band" thought Chuck would have his own band. Did not expect to have to follow him. Apparently Chuck played his "tunes" out of key and when the band tried to follow him he changed the tempo. Most of the guys sort of gave up. The punters sang along as Chuck conducted them through various "tunes". There was no play list. Chuck just seemed to play what he could remember.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:19 pm

I don't know if you or your mate have seen Taylor Hackford's documentary "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" filmed in celebration of Chuck's 60th birthday in 1986. He pissed off
a superb band (led by Keith Richards and featuring guitarist Robert Cray and Johnny Johnson, Berry's original pianist, among others), with guest shots by Eric Clapton (smoking on the slow blues "Wee Wee Hours"), Etta James, Linda Ronstadt, and Julian Lennon (whose dad was an unabashed Berry fan). A.. wasted Richards admitted that "I was mad to take the gig" but gamely standing up to his idol at every turn (watch for a memorable moment during the very first song of the concert, when Chuck attempts to change key in mid-tune and Keith sternly shakes him off).....

Chuck Berry ... demanded to be paid every day, in cash, or he'd refuse to be filmed. He showed up for a dinner meeting at L.A.'s posh Le Dome with a bag of McDonald's takeout. And two days before the St. Louis concert, he announced that he was leaving town for a gig in Ohio, where he proceeded to blow out his voice--so his vocals all had to be overdubbed after the fact (an extra payday, natch).

Read more stories about Chuck here.

http://www.amazon.com/Chuck-Berry-Hail-Rock-Roll/dp/6300987477

Here's the Chuck Berry i like

Here's Chuck and Keith

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:17 am

Maggie Bell is interviewed on this week's edition of Sex, Drugs and wooly semmits. Unfortunately the interviewer is Jack mclaughlin well out of his depth and absolutely no research.

Maggie's good .

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:04 pm

yip,i have heard this show first time round and again last night.enjoyed it but as you say dex jack mac was miles away.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby zoidberg » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks for pointing us to the interview with Maggie Bell. I saw her a couple of years ago with Chris Farlowe and she's still got it.
Stone The Crows rock :D
"He can't stay down with three barrels on him, not with three barrels he can't."
zoidberg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects