Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby Icecube » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks, good idea and I'm sure t'others might be up for it.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby toomse » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:01 pm

not sure if these are any good - finding it difficult to pinpoint specific mine locations in the Palacerigg area without a grid reference or nearby landmark

toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:04 pm

I fancied a wee wander along to see the old trainline from Fannyside Loch too if anyone is up for that?
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 pm

I see the correct term - 'addit' used on the plan [image 3] to mark the Glencryan mine entrance Toomse. Finding the one across from Acrecroft farm [image 5] would be ....... an adventure? It is pretty dense jungle down in that gully below the road.

There were fireclay workings up on the moor at Fannyside right enough MK, lots of tramroads connecting them with the Slammanan railway I think. Dodgy underfoot but maybe in places, another adventure, why not ?
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 pm

There's some great pictures on here of the peat cutting that also went on up there...

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/16 ... ter+works/

Some of the hundreds of tracks up at Fannyside Muir must be connected with that activity too...

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:50 pm

Fantastic PPM!

I wonder if the tramroads in the photos were the originals used to mine fireclay and later used by the peat cutters. This must be the railway MK mentions.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:58 pm

Purplepantman really knows his stuff. Some of these photos are brilliant. If i need any more information, I know where to come now. Thanks

ps...that Website is brilliant too, full of great aerial photos.
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:01 pm

Icecube wrote:Fantastic PPM!

I wonder if the tramroads in the photos were the originals used to mine fireclay and later used by the peat cutters. This must be the railway MK mentions.

Dunno. There's miles of tramways AND railway remains up there.

A little further south of the west (biggest) loch is this. I know it to be called "The Palacerigg Railway" if you follow it south you can see where it joins onto the "The Dykehead Branch" and then onto what I think must be the Slamannan line. No birds eye I'm afraid.

I'll try and get a shot from an old map
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:04 pm

Knightmare wrote:Purplepantman really knows his stuff. Some of these photos are brilliant. If i need any more information, I know where to come now. Thanks

Yep. I haven't had anything to add to Toomse and PPM's posts, but just to say that lack of comment doesn't imply lack of interest.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Josef wrote:
Knightmare wrote:Purplepantman really knows his stuff. Some of these photos are brilliant. If i need any more information, I know where to come now. Thanks

Yep. I haven't had anything to add to Toomse and PPM's posts, but just to say that lack of comment doesn't imply lack of interest.

Cheers! I just like old maps. I could look at them all day. :) (and night!)

Here are the maps from 1922 I refer to in my last post which show the Palacerigg Railway heading south and joining onto the Dykehead Branch. All still visible on Bing Maps but in reality long gone.

Here's a map from 1926 (forget the 1912 oops).
It shows the site of a Fire Clay Works (which might interest Icecube) and clarifies the
actual position of the or a Moss Litter Works (don't know if it's the one on Canmore but surely it must be).
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:49 am

I'm 99% sure that the buildings at the very north of the Palacerigg Railway (shown here) are the site of the buildings of Fannyside Moss Litter Works. I wonder why it doesn't actually say it on this 1922 map. The buildings just seem to be big sheds. Perhaps they were only temporary mobile structures which they moved around the muir depending on where they were cultivating the peat? It's a big area so this would seem to make sense but I don't know.
Perhaps someone knows more?

This is the exact location on Bing..

It even looks to be the case from this. If you imagine the track in the pic being the one branching west on the map, the buildings would then be immediately in front of you, on your right hand side.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:08 am

Here's another couple of even older maps of the area for anyone interested;

This map shows that in 1821 there was no road between the lochs (Fannyside Road as we know it) and that the main road through the area was to the south of the west loch. I say road but it was obviously only a track for a horse and cart etc. There's loads of other differences but I'll let you find them out for yourselves. I'm sure Fannyside Road was opened as a toll-road in the mid 1800's. The toll house is still there to this day.

This one from 1806 shows the path of the Roman Road to the fort at Castlecary, right along the eastern side of the lochs.

Some old bits of the Roman Road are still visible and are even marked on some recent maps.

"A Roman road running to Castlecary from the south can be seen in Fannyside moss.
There are about 20 miles of turnpike in the parish as well as parish roads, and these enable the farmers to get their produce to markets and obtain lime and manure to improve their lands."

Quoted from here...

http://www.oldroadsofscotland.com/stataccdunbarton.htm

There's no doubt this area has loads of ancient history and archaeology from hundreds of years of industrial and agricultural activity. That's why I find it so fascinating. :D

Not bored yet? Check this out too......

http://books.google.com/books?id=RqICAA ... #PPA142,M1
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:35 pm

The first map is from John Ainslie PPM, have a look at how he drew the river Kelvin and the Forth & Clyde Canal as going into a Reservoir together.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Another piece of the Glencryan tramroad jigsaw can be seen by comparing the actuality [god, I hate that word] of it drawn on the 1899 OS map http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ and the modern aerial image from http://maps.google.co.uk/ where the line of the tramroad as it is today can easily be seen. Whether it will be as discernable on the ground is another matter. Must take a shifty soon.

Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:42 pm

purplepantman wrote:Now if you started at Lenziemill Road and walked up the remains of the tramway to where it met the tunnel, what would you find? I wonder if they've maybe just forgot to fill in that end? Hmm?!

That's what I was meaning when I wrote the above a few posts ago. (??)

I've tried to have a look from Lenziemill Road but the tramway (or where it would be) is not visible from the road.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects