When its gone its gone Archive

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: When its gone its gone Archive

Postby nodrog » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Reference: 07/01995/DC Community Cnl: Hillhead Address: Site At 39 Otago Street Glasgow

Proposal: Erection of mixed development incorporating flats and an office space.
Date Received: 21.06.2007 Date Valid: 21.07.2007 Applicant Details: NV Properties Ltd
Agent Details: 0141 552 0686 Page And Park, 49 Cochrane Street GLASGOW G1 1HL
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ ... 107_17.pdf

Otago St Glasgow
Planning for flats & offices at 39 Otago Street submitted for NV Properties Jul 2007
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/architects/page_park.htm

From Page & Park's own website...
http://www.pagepark.co.uk/
"Spiral Tower, Otago Street"

I've not been able to find out if the application was granted or not yet though...

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:39 pm

I don't know what i think of that proposed building....quite something
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:13 am

Pity about the cottage, it was quite charming.

I really like the proposal though, it works well with its neighbours, act as an interesting axial termination of Otago St and an equally interesting counterpoint to the stunning Caledonia Chambers when viewed from Kelvin Bridge. I'm not entirely sold on the brick palette though, I would have preferred to seen a coppery bronze (in colour) metal panel instead.

Reminds me of Erich Mendelsohn's 'Einstein Tower', an observatory near Potsdam (1919-1921)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby nodrog » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Here's a bit about the current building's history, from the RCAHMS website...

Two-storey, slate double-hipped roof with furrow, two by five bay workshop with lean-to. The lean-to appears to have been added sometime after 1913 according to map evidence..
This building is an interesting survival of a late 19th century workshop. 39 Otago Street is listed in the Post Office Glasgow Directory of 1896- 7 (p 373) as belonging to `McLintock, William, Joiner' and was subsequently listed as belonging to `A.McDonald & Co, Joiners' in the Post Office Glasgow Directory from 1909-1910 (p.411) until 1955 (p.1127). From that date, the premises are not listed in t he Post Office Directory for the following year and at least up until the mid 1970s. The building has probably survived due to its adaptability. It appears to have recently been in use as an `arts' studio and had a garage housed in the lean-to on the date of visit.

More (inc photos) at
http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/pls/portal/new ... ink=210135
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:22 pm

I have a rather vague childhood memory of my father keeping his car in the lean-to garage for a while, sometime during the 1950's when we lived in Belmont Street. So I shall be sorry to see the building go, if only for sentimental reasons. But I quite like the proposed replacement, although I think it would probably take a bit of getting used to.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:29 am

I don't think the Page & Park design for the end of Otago Street is a brick facade. The geometry and the angles would cost a fortune to achieve. It would look good though to see brick in such an unusual building.

If it were brick though it would leak like a sieve, so it's probably a metal pre treated Cladding. Nice to look at, just need to get some idiot daft enough to build it.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Gleegie stated brick on FutureGlasgow, still not stuck in it as a palette for Glasgow though, despite it looking ok on this Gehry office building in Dusselforf's media port - Id still much rather prefer metal cladding.

Nice to look at, just need to get some idiot daft enough to build it.

Stepping forward me old china? ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:48 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Stepping forward me old china? ::):

No thank you all the same. Amongst my present "portfolio" i am currently already doing my bit for the arty farty architectural brigade in Glasgow. ::):
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat May 03, 2008 8:05 pm

Noticed today that the old stand at Scotstoun Stadium (showgrounds) has been demolished
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue May 06, 2008 9:31 pm

tobester wrote:Noticed today that the old stand at Scotstoun Stadium (showgrounds) has been demolished

Building a nice new shiny one for 2014
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri May 30, 2008 6:27 pm

Noticed today , a fragment of a cast iron cellar grill on the site of the Alexander Thompson tenements at Eglinton Street.

Was it from these flats? Looks about the right period? How many rats scuttled through?

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:37 pm

Nice office with new open plan conversion on Whitefield Road ,just down from Govan Town Halls.

From the look of the woodwork and the bricks it's quite old , but it won't last much longer.

HDR

HDR

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:41 pm

Lovely Vinegar Tom. I wonder how many poor souls spend long dusty days of their lives working in this little office which is now derelict and open to the elements.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Josef » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:53 pm

It's been like that for years. Next door is the yard where they stored the facade for the Eglinton Toll Ballroom. And there's a brilliantly decrepit steamroller a couple of doors up.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:10 pm

Josef wrote:It's been like that for years. Next door is the yard where they stored the facade for the Eglinton Toll Ballroom. And there's a brilliantly decrepit steamroller a couple of doors up.

It's been like that for years? Wow , I thought that I would have noticed it before :o I will look out for the steamroller - that is just my cup of tea.

JohnR wrote: I wonder how many poor souls spend long dusty days of their lives working in this little office which is now derelict and open to the elements.

Interesting thought , those long dusty days belong to another era - one my father was familiar with, where a bright kid would escape the engineering floor for the draughting room

edit - god my spelling is terrible "drafting"??
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects