Falkirk - The Blue Pool at Torwood

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Falkirk - The Blue Pool at Torwood

Postby Sharon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:14 pm

http://www.ntgraphics.co.uk/investigation/bluepool.html

A fascinating investigation and little obsession with the mystery of the blue pool in Torwood.

I love this kind of little mystery!

The questions:

* What was the function and purpose of the blue pool ?
* When was it built ?
* Who built it ?
* When did it cease to have a purpose ?
* Where does the water come from and why does the level change ?
* Did you ever swim in it ?

Looks like an intersting area for a wander :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Falkirk - The Blue Pool at Torwood

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:15 pm

Quite bizarre! I have a sudden urge to don the scuba gear and investigate the bottom.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:58 pm

How odd :) . Brilliantly thorough wee website too.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby munroman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Must be worth a wee trip when its warmer!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:44 pm

aye,a certain person might want to try curling on it in its present state.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:10 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Quite bizarre! I have a sudden urge to don the scuba gear and investigate the bottom.

I knew he'd was going to give it a go sometime :D
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby wee minxy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Yes, wade right in there HH :D
wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Well it was a dreary day on Sunday but nevertheless it seemed important to get out and about, scouring OS maps and our fuzzy brains for some inspiration about where to go, the mystery of the Blue Pool came to mind.

So a year after first reading about it off we set in the grey drizzle, stopping by the collapsed heap of Larbert House on the way.

It was happily dry by the time we got to Torwood, so wellies on and off we slipped and slid. Turned out there was a castle to see on the way to finding the Blue Pool.

It's such a compelling little mystery in its telling that we were actually quite excited about our little quest - although given it's clearly marked on maps (not os maps) it didn't prove too hard to locate. Without a map you could easily walk past it an never see it. It was with some glee my wee sister spotted its low circular wall peeping above the dead grass. We were there. And the pool was indeed full of perfectly clear water, looking green rather than blue it did have a slightly enigmatic presence.

I just love that despite all the speculation about what it may have been, there is as yet no final conclusion.

The ever mysterious blue pool by sisterblue, on Flickr

Is the structure mjw posted in the Cumbernauld thread a similar structure? viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5996&start=315#p228359
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jodieohdoh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:00 pm

That's intriguing! I learned two excellent new phrases too- "Goesinty" and "Goesooty" ::):
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:05 pm

jodieohdoh wrote:That's intriguing! I learned two excellent new phrases too- "Goesinty" and "Goesooty" ::):

Not forgetting "goesunder" :D
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:24 am

I went and had a look at this a while ago but couldn't add anything, I thought at first it must be mine related but there is nothing on any of the old maps that indicates there was a mine in this area. I had therefore put it down to something to do with a water supply, the nearby valve pit would support this but it is certainly intriguing and well worth a visit if you are in that area.

Sharon's reference to a lint pond got me thinking again and the Canmore site has the following typical description although they also call them "retting ponds" . There are 28 records some of which are in the Falkirk area, with dates that are comparable with the appearance of the Blue Pool construction.

"A lint vat or tank used for the preparation of flax at Cleuchhead (NY 098 957), known locally as 'the lint hole'. An enclosure, something like a well only wider, 12' across, 42' in circumference and perhaps 5' deep, is now filled up and planted over with trees. There is a stone built conduit at the bottom, for the draining off of water after the line has been 'retted' or steeped."

This certainly sounds similar to the Cumbernauld feature and the Blue Pool, have we solved it?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:11 pm

cell wrote:...the Canmore site has the following typical description although they also call them "retting ponds" . There are 28 records some of which are in the Falkirk area, with dates that are comparable with the appearance of the Blue Pool construction.

"A lint vat or tank used for the preparation of flax at Cleuchhead (NY 098 957), known locally as 'the lint hole'. An enclosure, something like a well only wider, 12' across, 42' in circumference and perhaps 5' deep, is now filled up and planted over with trees. There is a stone built conduit at the bottom, for the draining off of water after the line has been 'retted' or steeped."

This certainly sounds similar to the Cumbernauld feature and the Blue Pool, have we solved it?

I'm not sure that there is a "typical description" of a lint pool/retting pond.
I don't think there is, as from what I've seen they come in all shapes, sizes and depths.

I've visited both the Torwood Blue Pool and the Glencryan Circle Thingy and whilst I don't know what they are (although the above description of a "lint vat or tank" sounds good to me), I do know that they are around the same diameter (possibly exactly) and that they appear to be the same thing but of a slightly different design (with regards the conduit). To my eye, the one at Glencryan is just a filled-in version of the Torwood Pool.

Unfortunately the Glencryan Pool doesn't photograph too well and doesn't appear to be
circular in the pic - but believe me it is a complete circle just like at Torwood.

But what are they?
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:17 pm

When i was a lad, I lived in Antrim in northern ireland, there was loads of old ruined flax mills everywhere, (anyone who knows Antrim knows where they are) close by there was simaler looking pools but they where square shaped. . there is one not far from my mums house, last time I was down at that one it had no water in it. but that was over 15 years ago.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Nigel has uploaded a video from a cam he lowered into the pool/shaft. The mystery gets more mysterious.

HERE

A tunnel ..............
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Sorry to report that according to messages in the visitor book of the Torwood mystery website advises that Nigel Turnbull has passed away.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Around the World