Old Kilpatrick Parish Church

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Old Kilpatrick Parish Church

Postby Bankie Boy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi All
I have just moved to Old Kilpatrick in Dumbartonshire and went for a stroll around the grounds of the old parish church. I would like to ask if any one has any history of this site? The church building looks early Victorian but the grounds and cemetery are obviously significantly older. The boundary wall looks medieval in places and propped up against the wall of the church there is a Knights Templar grave stone probably dating to the 13th or 14th century ! Also in the ground are some ancient tombs one has the inscription
"Mausoleum of The Buchanans of Auchentorlie 1600" another dated "May 26th 1658 William Stirling of Law". (I thought Law was in Lanarkshire out past Hamilton?) There are many others of a similar age but many are too badly eroded to read. Can any one give me any ideas on the history of this church, any of the families buried there and what is a Knights Templar doing in a small church in Old Kilpatrick?
Thanks
The best things in life aren't things
Bankie Boy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Old Kilpatrick Parish Church

Postby yoker brian » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Old Kilpatrick Parish Church

Postby banjo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:41 pm

the area was once owned by the earl of lennox who gifted it to the monks of paisley.clydebank library has all the info you require bankieboy.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Around the World