Cumbernauld Mines

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cumbernauld Mines

Postby Icecube » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:54 pm

I had intended to start this with another subject but that can wait till another day as I came across something interesting today while out for a stroll.

A while ago on the Hidden Cumbernauld thread on the Projects page 'Toomse' posted some images of plans, one of which was an adit he highlighted on the banks of the Luggie Water south of Palacerigg country park, this has intrigued me since.
With no sign of Toomse for a wee while I hope he disnae' mind me using his images again.

Passing the area today ['Runblybugs'] I thought I'd have a wee look around and so ventured into the dense undergrowth - just to have a closer look at the lie of the land more than anything because I expected it to be impenetrable. Brambles aplenty [a sure sign of ground disturbance actually] there was but it being Autumn they were lying fairly close to the ground and could be stepped over. I kept plowing on until reaching a bluff. A bluff about 6ft. - too wee for a real bluff I was thinking. Time to sclim doon said bluff. [at my age as well, don't tell the wifey]

The maps were wrong, this is what I found.

Adit 1

Adit 2

Adit 3

Thats 3 adits not one. Here are some shots of the insides - taken from the outside of course so they aint brilliant.

I also noticed what might be a shaft a bit away from the area where the adits are.

With a resident lying having a nap?

Now I might be wrong because I was hanging over holding onto a tree with one hand and took the pic with the other but it looked like a curled up snake to me. Do we get broon snakes here? Or did I see leaves? :roll: :D

Anyway thats wot I did in the bootiful weather the day.

Correction to above Adit No.2 - duplication of subject, below is the
image of the second adit - whose entrance is almost filled in.

It looks to me that this was an outcrop of - probably - ironstone that was mined from every angle of the hill.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: The Hidden Outlands of Cumbernauld

Postby Josef » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Icecube wrote:Now I might be wrong because I was hanging over holding onto a tree with one hand and took the pic with the other but it looked like a curled up snake to me. Do we get broon snakes here?

To me too. Adders are brown(ish), and they like swampy territory, but it doesn't look patterned enough to be one of them.

And aye, where is that Toomse?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby penguinmonkey » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Probably one of those nice "Holiday Camps" in a 3rd world country
It's always funny 'til someone gets hurt and then it's just hilarious
penguinmonkey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Icecube, your pics are good but i really think you ought to be careful crawling about places like that...especially if you're on your own. :?

Incidentally this looks very similar to something in the Airdrie area (Airdrie Golf Course to be exact).

In my youth i used to go golf ball hunting at Airdrie Golf Course (then i'd get ripped off when i sold them to Dougie...but thats another story) and can remember a section of the course where there was a cave and next to it was a hole in the ground which was the opening to a mine. Your photos look very similar to what i can remember about the cave I know about.

About five years ago in the dead of winter and on a snowy day, i walked through Airdrie Golf Course and the cave is still there. Although strangely when you get older, you lose all your courage and i only looked at it from the top of the hill. Well worth a visit if you like that sort of thing....at least just to compare it to your Palacerigg thingy.

I've had a look on the old maps and there is nothing to speak of on there but there did used to be an estate next to it called Rochsoles House within the Blackwell plantation. Perhaps you could check your maps to see if anything shows up?

See Pic....sorry, i've no photos of the cave, but its there.

Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Your'e right Knightmare I broke my own rules going too near that hole/shaft with the snake in it (I do think it was one now after reading up on their habitats and looking at the different types of Adders) probably too excited at the time.
As long as its dry the area around the adits though are safe enough. I've since found out that it was a fireclay mine with a 4'-6" seam.

The Rochsoles estate 'caves' might well be either fireclay or ironstone mines, def worth a look, I know the area you've identified but doubt I'd be able to find the subjects. I'd need a guide
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 pm

My other half used to stable her horse at Wester Glentore, just up the road from those adits, but she's never heard of them; she's lived here (Cumbernauld) for over 25 years too.

Might go and have a look if the weather holds up this week.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:35 pm

I must confess I'd never heard of the word 'adit' till this thread came along, and had to look it up. The things ye learn...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby toomse » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:10 pm

thanks for the concern folks – just recently recovered from a long illness

have spent the last couple of days going through umpteen posts since my last visit :)
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Only go if its dry and watch your feet Boxer - don't want you on me concience ::):

Here is another - much bigger adit to a clay pit near Bellstane Farm that I came across.

Aerial position.

Never ventured very near as I didn't have a boat with me :D Though I think I've figured way in but its not something to be tackled on one's onio.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:28 am

Icecube wrote:Only go if its dry and watch your feet Boxer - don't want you on me concience ::):

OK, since you asked nicely!! That'll be about half-past March then, by the time it dries up!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:03 pm

Boxer6 wrote:
Icecube wrote:Only go if its dry and watch your feet Boxer - don't want you on me concience ::):

OK, since you asked nicely!! That'll be about half-past March then, by the time it dries up!

Could be before then, dry days come with the frost. Plans are afoot to return to Glentore with maglites. You wouldn't have a boat by any chance? Just in case we canny get through the gorse at Bellstane.
::):
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Nope, no boat. Got (access to) a horse, two dogs, a shotgun and a pressure washer. Any of them any use?
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:39 pm

We could get by without a horse and the shotgun, nae need for the K'archer but the dugs are welcome :D
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:39 pm

A couple of very interesting finds there IC!
You’ll be a braver man than me if you climb into any of those holes though!

The ironstone workings at Rumblybugs must be very old (hundreds of years?).
Who knows what you’ll find in there.

I’m sure they were mining clay at Bellstane fairly recently though.

Be sure to post any updates! :)
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:41 am

purplepantman wrote:A couple of very interesting finds there IC!
You’ll be a braver man than me if you climb into any of those holes though! :)

Really? I quite fancy it actually - I can't go back to work for another couple of months yet, and all the "free" time is driving me nuts!
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Around the World