Helensburgh Wildlife.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Helensburgh Wildlife.

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:32 am

MacotheIsles wrote:Back in the day the public house of choice for the discerning Helensburgh dandy was the Teak'n'Ash. As regards other town landmarks, anybody remember the old Tower Cinema, or the Granary Restaurant on the seafront where the swimming baths car park now is? Both were casualties of the great Storm back in '67, but stood for quite a long time afterwards.

A similarly named establishment, the Pine and Oak at Kincardine, was popular for a while with 'courting couples' until the road works drove them away.
Not exactly discerning dandies but equally alliterative :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:32 am

OnnnyT!

Formula for successful pub...

2x Trees in Name + Alliteratively Branded Clientelle = Voila!

(See - I spelled it right this time. Not a fiddle or a pansy in sight!)
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:59 am

MacotheIsles wrote:Back in the day the public house of choice for the discerning Helensburgh dandy was the Teak'n'Ash. As regards other town landmarks, anybody remember the old Tower Cinema, or the Granary Restaurant on the seafront where the swimming baths car park now is? Both were casualties of the great Storm back in '67, but stood for quite a long time afterwards.

The "Teak and Hash" was well known for other wares for a while. Not sure if I every associated with Helensburgh dandies, not sure I know what a Helensburg dandies is/was! The "Imps" on the other hand did hit the Sun's front page in the eighties with allegations of wife swapping, full on car keys in the bowl if I remember the details correctly!

I never frequented either I hasten to add, the "Caple" has always been my favourite Helensburgh pub.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:58 pm

cell wrote:

The "Teak and Hash" was well known for other wares for a while. Not sure if I every associated with Helensburgh dandies, not sure I know what a Helensburg dandies is/was! The "Imps" on the other hand did hit the Sun's front page in the eighties with allegations of wife swapping, full on car keys in the bowl if I remember the details correctly!

I never frequented either I hasten to add, the "Caple" has always been my favourite Helensburgh pub.

Cell...

The Ardencaple was always a popular place - especially with summer visitors all sitting out the front in that good weather we used to have once upon a time in the west. My own local was the Rhu Inn. Anyway - all these Helensburgh anecdotes: maybe there should be an HG Helensburgh Trip sometime, taking in a few of these places.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:31 pm

A part of the world I'd really like to see, actually.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby darrel » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:11 am

helensburgh's night life has died a death since the council forced the night club BJ's too close its now a pretty crap night out. especially midweek.
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:04 pm

when visiting sailors arrive in helensburgh and ask where do we go for a good night on the the town the locals point them in the direction of the taxi rank and say tell the driver you want to go to balloch.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Helensburgh is now under the thumb of Argyll and Bute. Serves them right.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:46 pm

darrel wrote:helensburgh's night life has died a death since the council forced the night club BJ's too close its now a pretty crap night out. especially midweek.

:D

This made me smile .. I had no idea the place had shut down.

Wee Robert (the owners son and resident Tsar) will be heart broken. Serves the poisonous little dwarf right.

I don't like him very much, (or his Dad for that matter) mercenary little fuckwits the pair of them.
Last edited by Doorstop on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:50 pm

The Helensburgh I knew is long gone by the sounds of it. The mountains have worn down, the very constellations have changed and somebody's pinched the Bantam Cock from Central since I last walked up Sinclair Street it would seem. Anyway - there's more to Helensburgh than pubsnclubs: I would suggest that the mods load up the HG charabanc with a Harrod's hamper or two; maybe a few parasols, tartan travel rugs and such, and we all set out for a day's watercolour painting on Rhu Point. Maybe take in the Ardencaple for a spot of inspiration too.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby darrel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:32 pm

Doorstop wrote:
darrel wrote:helensburgh's night life has died a death since the council forced the night club BJ's too close its now a pretty crap night out. especially midweek.

:D

This made me smile .. I had no idea the place had shut down.

Wee Robert (the owners son and resident Tsar) will be heart broken. Serves the poisonous little dwarf right.

I don't like him very much, (or his Dad for that matter) mercenary little fuckwits the pair of them.

think wee robert snorted a lot of the profits as well. run a pub? couldnt run a bath.
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Absolutely spot on .. the wee man's nose was never far from the white stuff.

BJ's at Anniesland must have went through at least a dozen bar managers and fuck knows how many chargehands in the 18 months or so I was head steward there. No one could stomach either him or his Dad.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby darrel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:41 pm

i sometimes did hosted the karaoke in the millig he paid a pittance then charged you to go into bjs. you would have thought he would have given me a free pass
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Around the World