Paisley Town

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Paisley Town

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Definitely of interest, seventowers. Welcome to HG :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Was over in Paisley on a wee Geocaching hunt, one of the sites was at the Abbey.Here are some pics of stonemason's marks on the north wall.

A couple of gravestones with the occupiers trade depicted - a Tailor and a Flesher, I reckon.

A wee carving of a blacksmith

Some gargoyles, 2nd from right looks like inspiration for the Alien

Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby seventowers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:21 am

facinating marks, the ones in the cloisters of all the wee funny faces are great ones but there hard to spot

Arkleston Court Gallowhill video ( closest highflat is arkleston ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc25KApdSns
seventowers
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:01 pm

On the subject of engraved stones, I seem to recall markings engraved on the cobbles outside the Oakshaw church on Shool Wynd in Paisley. It was about 25 years ago I was told about them, my Dad said it had something to do with a steeplejack who fell to his death and they marked where his belongings had landed. So there were glasses, hanky etc etc. Anyone else know anything about this?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Dave wrote:On the subject of engraved stones, I seem to recall markings engraved on the cobbles outside the Oakshaw church on Shool Wynd in Paisley. It was about 25 years ago I was told about them, my Dad said it had something to do with a steeplejack who fell to his death and they marked where his belongings had landed. So there were glasses, hanky etc etc. Anyone else know anything about this?

There's certainly a heart shaped design which some of the locals have tried to convince me is where the chap himself landed, but unless he had a rocket up his backside at the time or there were hurricane-force winds, I'm not having it.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Maybe it was in the days before Newton invented gravity and things didn't fall until they looked down and realised how far up they were.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Ah, you may be on to something there :D
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Sharon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Plans are afoot to motorise the town centre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-21602481

A plan is being developed to allow cars to return to a pedestrian-only zone in the centre of Paisley.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Josef » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm

I'm mildly confused. How would allowing traffic outside shopping hours boost the local economy?

What with being a non-driver and all, I'm as a rule all in favour of traffic-free zones. But that street? What's the point?

There aren't any shops anyone is likely to want to go to (barring a decent wee fruit 'n' veg stall just at the very start), all the pavement cafes are more or less outside the pedestrian zone, and it isn't even a through route to anywhere you'd want to go to (in either direction). Perhaps the UWS, but all the students appear to either live on campus or get the bus to the stop outside the door.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Desperation probably. I think a lot of people thought that the pedestrianisation contributed to the decline of the town. Whether or not that is true, I don't know. However, I think that demolition of Braehead shopping centre would have a greater revitalising effect than doing away with the pedestrian precinct. :|
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AntsMcMurdosch » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:51 am

I'm not a great fan of cars, but I've long insisted that Renfrewshire council's instance on charging for parking in the town centre has contributed massively to its downfall. Motorised shoppers are faced with the choice of 1) Driving to Paisley, paying to park, to visit the 5 shops left in the town centre or 2) Driving to Braehead, ample free parking, with more shops.

Boosting the economy by allowing cars out of shopping hours sounds like perfectly normal Renfrewshire council logic when it comes to Paisley town centre.
AntsMcMurdosch
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Around the World