Dundee

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Dundee

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:02 pm

MungoDundas wrote:Unclear where to post this, 'cause the HG search function
just pure overwhelms me cos it's got no fillitration? graduation ?
moderation ? - just plain belts everything out big time.

Stumbled upon this Danny Wilson video which has some smashing DND footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jwzGhaAKYo

Hoping that it's to your taste and not a repeat ?

Best

NDM

Nice old footage - I've moved it here, hoping that's ok.

The search function here is mainly decorative. Better to search via Google (as the likes of 'dundee site:www.hiddenglasgow.com') if you want to actually find things :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:32 pm

A few random bits from a quick visit to Dundee the other week, starting at the harbour:

(You wouldn't have guessed.) This is the Victoria Dock. It's all very different from the semi-abandoned state that I remember as a bairn, but thankfully they've been keeping and re-using some original leftovers from its industrial days, these being some transit sheds that they could easily have just demolished instead of converting into shops and offices:

And an old warehousey thing, the place with the clock in the last photo, now flats complete with nice wee modern balconies:

And a selectively quotable hoarding too - what more could you wish for:

Elsewhere, just behind Commercial Street, what turns out to be the massively altered remains of a flour mill/boot factory/tea warehouse (in that order, and partly very old indeed):

And lets hear it for old business signs in doorways (this being on Commercial Street just below the Seagate):

Unrelated, and way along the esplanade along the Tay, a nice wee gesture from persons unknown:

Finally, there's a lot of change at the waterfront (and not before time). In the middle of the background is what was Mathers Temperance Hotel, in later years the Tay Hotel, then even more latterly a homeless hostel, followed by a several years-long period of being empty, boarded up and rather threatened-looking. Its fortunes have turned round, as it's recently become a very swish-looking Malmaison. In the foreground, where the above ground buildings of the railway station* used to be:

*Dundee Station, as the railway authorities would have it, but to me it'll always be Tay Bridge Station. I'm off out now to buy some Opal Fruits and a Marathon.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Sharon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:55 am

I really like that "proper" pic, would make a great postcard. Mind, some of the others would too!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:32 pm

FAO Cell, you might find some of these quite interesting - there are quite a few 'how to build an electric power station from scratch' photos from c.1908 in here. Being Carolina Port. Gone now :wink:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118069284 ... 410530675/
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby banjo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:35 pm

great set there l.p.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:55 pm

They were made of sterner stuff in those days (and the laws were far less civilised obviously).....

ImageCarolina Port by Dundee City Archives, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:46 am

It's like a barn raising, ain't it?

The past is another country, and all that...
Lucky Poet
-
-

Building the Tay Road Bridge {1967)

Postby Doorstop » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:45 pm

I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:00 pm

What a fascinating film, man. Conflicting - on the one hand, how exciting to have that impressive bridge appear; on the other, the cheerful wiping away of the past. The new traffic patterns and new shopping precinct are now regretted at leisure. (In particular, the loss of the old Overgate. Worth a search online if you're not familiar with it.)

+1 hates that the Royal Arch was demolished. I had the wit to ask my faither about such things back in the day, and according to him the consensus was (in the 1960s) that it was a blackened old relic that wouldn't be a great loss. (He was only reporting that point of view and not necessarily arguing in favour of it, I have to add.)

But such enthusiasm for (I must admit) very stylish design elements on the bridge. And the presentation of the engineer as master chess player :)

The past is another country, eh? Like I say, fascinating.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dot » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:37 pm

http://www.vam.ac.uk/dundee/season/2018/opening-weekend

I was reading posts on this forum this morning and this story came on news.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Around the World