Hidden Greenock/Tail O' the bank

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Greenock/Tail O' the bank

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Lynedoch Street - Looking towards Mearns Street

Mearns Street - Looking back at Lynedoch Street

Mearns Street - Tunnel entrance that leads to the Greenock Health Centre area

Exit from the tunnel (on inspection there is a break in the tunnel)

Down the line from the tunnel exit towards Inverkip Road

That's as far as I got before time stopped play and I had to leave the area. I was hoping to get the South Street tunnel entrance and the Union Street exit but I'll do that next time I'm in the area. I'll also take my wellies to get some ground level shots as the lines smelt like a skip and I was dressed for business (not an ideal mix)
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 pm

Great shots Dave - I had no idea until last night about this stretch of rail , and I thought I knew Greenock pretty well.

I am in Greenock on business tomorrow - did you see any "access point" for a closer look ( I will be wearing steelies and a flourecent jacket 8) )
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:Great shots Dave - I had no idea until last night about this stretch of rail , and I thought I knew Greenock pretty well.

I am in Greenock on business tomorrow - did you see any "access point" for a closer look ( I will be wearing steelies and a flourecent jacket 8) )

Cheers Tom, you can just walk on to the tracks from Dellingburn Street but as I wasn't dressed for the occasion I thought better of it. As for knowing about it, I lived in Wemyss Bay for 7 years and drove along Inverkip Road at least 4-5 times a day so In that time I must have passed the spot c10,000 times!!!

If I'd have had more time I would have invested in some wellies and done the walk but i think it might be a good wee adventure for me, the boy and the dog one weekend.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 pm

dave3009 wrote:
If I'd have had more time I would have invested in some wellies and done the walk but i think it might be a good wee adventure for me, the boy and the dog one weekend.

Get the boy and the dog down there soon Dave - there seems to be something afoot on that line - Sustrans cycle track perhaps?

The scrub in the Flickr link you posted has been cut down and it looks like the track is all being ripped out?

I was down there today , and I had to scramble over a pile of off-cuts to get to the railway.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:59 pm

OK VT, Thanks for leading the way.

Wellies at the ready folks, anyone interested in a short tour. I'd suggest walking the distance from the branch but the viaduct at Cartsburn Street is demolition in progress. Perhaps parking at Berryards Road with a view to walking down to South Street, along the line??

PM if interested
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Hidden Gourock

Postby Vinegar Tom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:19 pm

A bit further afield :) , Kempock House in Gourock , due for demolition.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leadensky » Sat May 02, 2009 7:09 pm

[quote="dave3009"]Another wee hidden Greenock gem is the partial line which used to serve Greenock Princes Pier Station. I drove along Inverkip Road today and it was clearly visible that the tracks and everything were still down, the only thing I didn't get to see was if the tunnel had been bricked up yet, and I can't tell from GE if there is any potential insertion zone for a wee tour. I'm back in Greenock tomorrow for my sins so I'll be sure to take my camera a post some pictures

I live locally and you CAN walk all the way to where the tunnel emerges at union street.. to be met by giant rusty gates, so you have to walk back. I did his about 6 years ago, and it's a bit of a rite of passage for local boys. It is impressively long, turning through nearly 90 degrees over a kilometre underneath the west end - so no light visible at either end for most of it. However there is an air shaft in a back garden on the corner of newton and robertson streets which gives you some much needed light! Interestingly it actually passes over a deeper, longer tunnel at newton st (just before the air shaft). This tunnel is live - greenock west to fort matilda, and the longest tunnel in scotland i've heard. For added thrills try and time your walk so a train passes underneath you and you'll get a haunting rumble!

A dreadful waste of infrastructure - definitely a commercially viable freight line. And serving greenock's west end, kilmalcolm and a commuter belt of renfrewshire villages before the paisley canal - i reckon a viable passenger line too.. but oh well... happpy exploring!
leadensky
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby scaryman2u » Sat May 02, 2009 10:32 pm

I came across the old line by accident and walked all the way through from Kilmacolm Rd to Union st I think, wellies and torch required for this walk. Cheers for the above pics Dave as i had no idea where i was on the route till i saw this thread.

I started here at Kilmacolm Rd
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun May 03, 2009 7:24 am

I think we might have the makings of a wee walk about? Chuck yer chips in and we'll add it to the Meet Up's thread.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun May 31, 2009 10:25 pm

This is the former Greenock Upper station. The pedestrian entrance was blocked up after it was binned by Beech-bast in the 60's (? I think ) . According to what I have found on the internet , the area shown below was the goods yard and it's approach ( but I am very open to correction :) )

Foot passengers

Wagons

Danny

Goods yard

Rear of the pedestrian entry facade

Bob Star

fly tip

Highlights

More Bob Star

Bob Star #1 Anarchy

Yet more Bob Star

Awkward Gate
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 pm

VT, I was in that shed a few weeks ago and wondered what it`s purpose once was. There`s another one similar to it about 500 yards away in the same site, but with a starcase inside.

I also found this under a mountain of rubble / soil in same place just below where you were.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Looking at the old maps and from memory as to where you guys were this was a goods station. I think alot of the area was also Tate & Lyle Sugar (hearsay I didn't research). I often drove past that bricked up tunnel and wondered what it was. I always assumed it was some line that went to the goods station.

I wish I had been able to do last weekends walkabout in Greenock. I lived in Wemyss Bay previously so I know it well and I am intrigued by the massive amount of extremely long tunnels etc Greenock has.

Next time mibees

Dave
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:24 pm

No idea of the buildings' function , but the first one is obviously built on some serious Victorian foundations.

The steps / gantry in the second shed have got me baffled , but it has got to be related to engineering??

As for that buried truck - I think I will be going back for another visit :)
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Swap you then VT. I'll show you round St Peters, and you can return the favour in Greenock.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:58 pm

Josef wrote:Swap you then VT. I'll show you round St Peters, and you can return the favour in Greenock.

OK - sounds like a fair exchange
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World