Hidden Greenock/Tail O' the bank

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Greenock/Tail O' the bank

Postby Escapee » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Good Evening to anyone monitoring this part of the site. Just found the site this evening to my great surprise. I was amazed at some of the pictures. Especially the ones of the tunnel at Mearns St. Back between 1969 and 1972 myself and many other kids from local schools used to wander through that tunnel on our lunch hour. It was a bit of a dare as it was dark (curved) and took a little while to walk through. We would shin up or down one side of the Mearns St bridge support which was a fair old height. This line went down to Princes Pier as part of the Kilmacolm line. I could tell you few other bits and pieces if anyone's interested. Used Greenock Upper as a very young boy travelling with my parents to exotic seaside places like Inverkip. Like to hear from anyone who's interested.
Bye for now
Escapee
Escapee
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Kitten » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Inverclyde Doors Open Day will be on the weekend 12-13th September

Programme Here --- http://www.doorsopendays.org.uk/opendays/area_programmes.aspx?areaid=25
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Escapee » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:00 pm

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I think I'll be at Lincoln that weekend. Ah well onward and downward.
Cheers
Escapee
Escapee
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:12 pm

I passed through Greenock early this morning, unfortunately I did not have my camera and it was a simple pass through or I may have stopped. I have noticed that M&J Timber have now relocated to the top of Greenock (near to the point VT's first bricked up archway pic is). M&J previously had their yard at the exit of the tunnel under the westend just before the bridge to take trains to the Princes Peir Station. I take it Sustrans are planning on opening the tunnels as cycle paths?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Drinking Wall Wells

Postby wullie75 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:03 am

Im new to this site, my name is Billy Sinclair from Gibshill, Greenock, I am seeking anyone who has any knowledge of the origin of "Drinking Wall Wells " I know there was one at Barrhill Gourock, and one down the Espladade in Greenock, was there more ???, does anyone have any photo's ?????, I remember drinking out of one in my young days, but where I can't remember ( AGE ), it was a lion's mouth, and a iron cup at the end of a chain, please help

Billy Sinclair
wullie75
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Macfast » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi all. Newbie here. I have been reading this post regarding the old Princes pier line. I have a deep interest in this line from Paisley to Princes pier. The fact that a lot of the infrastructure in still intact but maybe not for much longer as progress sweeps in, is beckoning me. I know that many of you have maybe met up and walked the line, would anyone be up for another one sometime this year. It would be good to hear stories and experiences of this line.
(I am not from Greenock thus need a guide and frightened of long dark tunnels with scary neds and bottles of Bucky :D )
Macfast
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:03 am

Bouverie Street tenements in Port Glasgow.

Not long for this world.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Hopefully the correct thread....

Entrance lobby at new Beacon Art Centre, Greenock.

MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:10 pm

My Kitten wrote:Not hidden but Im sure I remember reading about these on here but can I find it!? Help me please.

What the heck are those things at Greenock Esplanade that look like speed cameras for ships?

I passed them going now, i should know what these are Ive read it somewhere ::):

I don't know exactly, but I'm pretty sure they're some kind of navigation reference.
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Secret Scotland says

Greenock leading lights lie at the end of Madeira Street on Greenock Esplanade, and are part of a larger network set up to provide safe navigation within the shipping channel in the Firth of Clyde.

The lights on the esplanade are used to mark a deep water anchorage in the Clyde known as "The Hole".

The front light is located on the shore side of the Esplanade, and mounted on top of a Corinthian column on a square pedestal, which was probably relocated there c. 1860 from Steamboat Quay (c. 1810), when the esplanade was created using material excavated to form the nearby Albert Dock.

The rear light is located in Madeira Street, mounted on top of a metal pole similar to a lamppost, unusually located in the roadside gutter, rather than on the footpath.

Survey maps c. 1900 show the location marked as Leading Lights (Fixed Red). The lights do not appear to be marked on later OS mapping, c. 2000.

Photographs taken prior to 2010 show the earlier rectangular housings on top of the two columns. Later photographs show these to have been replaced by cylindrical projector units.

pics at http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index. ... dingLights
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 am

Have any of you UrbEx types managed to get into the old Arts Guild building in Campbell Street, or is it pretty much locked down tight?
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Around the World