Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Edinburgh

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 am

Lucky Poet wrote:After loads of rain, Princes Street Gardens is trying its best to turn back into the North Loch:

That just looks wonderful.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Josef wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote:After loads of rain, Princes Street Gardens is trying its best to turn back into the North Loch:

That just looks wonderful.

Indeed.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:58 am

Dot wrote:Lovely photo LP.

A friend told me she was going to see the Pandas at Edinburgh Zoo.
It seems you have to book to see them and think she went to a lot of trouble to do this.

I happened to say to her was she going to see the Norwegian penguin who is called Sir Nils Olav.
This creature was knighted by the King of Norway.
I have just found out today that the penguins are on a temporary holiday in Belfast.
Well at least some of them are and I think the rest have gone to England and Denmark.
Their enclosure in Edinburgh is undergoing essential maintenance and they will return at end of breeding season.

Feel like a right eejit now.

I took the family to Edinburgh Zoo last week, cost approx £90 in tickets alone before we got to the cuddly toys at the end. The person at the counter asked if I wanted to see the pandas and told us also that the penguins weren't about ( I must have passed them on the Irish Sea going over)
What a rip off even given that we were warned about the lack of penguins -hardly any animals in the enclosures nor lurking about 8O I'm not a great zoo person however the last zoo I visited - Dublin had more animals and lets face it if your going to the zoo you want to see a bit more than a meerkat/tigers and monkeys and African painted dogs.
When we finally got to see the pandas after a lenghty wait - one of them was sitting hunched over his stool with his face hidden and almost touching the floor - I know how he felt.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:46 am

China's 'gift' of two pandas is usually reckoned to cost $1,000,000 a year (over a 10 year loan period).

Someone has to pay for such an ego trip.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:27 pm

It's almost worth it for giving us that wisecrack about the number of Tory MPs.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Bridie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 pm

I would like that please ::):
Wonderful
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Great pic Bridie, so different from the usual pics you get of parks. i like it
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:16 am

Doug wrote:Great pic Bridie, so different from the usual pics you get of parks. i like it

I wish Doug :D
That was Lucky Poet that took that cracker.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Bridie,

I just found out today that the Pandas at Edinburgh Zoo have their own tartan :o ::):
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:47 am

aye,its black and white.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Dot wrote:Bridie,

I just found out today that the Pandas at Edinburgh Zoo have their own tartan :o ::):

That's Edinburgh for you, if Mrs Panda isn't fulfilling marital duties, then Mr Panda has to get a Tart in
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Morroccomole » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Bridie

........one of them was sitting hunched over his stool ........

Yuks ::):
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:21 am

Lucky Poet wrote:Image
Note to self: check the tide times...

Well I did, even if two years later, and I can confirm that tide tables actually do work:

Cramond Island is tiny but neat, and while certainly not hidden in any way, the Second World War remains are (given the area) plentiful. First is the giant Toblerone:

It was, in case you don't know, a war-time anti-shipping barrier, and the slots in the sides of the pyramids used to hold reinforced concrete panels, now gone after so many tides and storms. It turns out that the reason they seem to be in two parts is because they are - according to a contribution to the RCAHMS entry, they were increased in height in 1946, with a presumably very thick steel cable run across the tops.

At the other end of the causeway, this is the first thing you go by, being a gun emplacement to cover the barrier, alongside a searchlight mount (plus in the end block of the barrier, two very sturdy hoops to hold the end of the cable):

You could also get those Leith Western Harbour flats from here, if only the gun was still there:

Anyway, further north, and up a wee hill:

Round the corner and down, after almost getting lost (no mean feat on an island about the size of a respectable dining table), there is a thing:

A thing carrying evidence of much punk and punk-related activity (along with a bit of musical disagreement):

This was a generator house, as it turns out (according to the ever-faithful RCAHMS), and inside, the plinths are still largely (well, partly) intact:

I rather liked the many years' graffiti inside. And this, presumably related to some party (non-punk) that was apparently on later:

Also this, belonging either to somebody there early for the party, or in for an unpleasant surprise:

Anyway, a wee bit further on, and on the north-east coast of the island, here are a few of the searchlight mounts, for which the generator house was put up:

These were intended to guard against air raids on the Forth Bridge and Rosyth, to be used alongside a similar set on Inchmickery, a few miles to the north-east and deeper into the Firth.

Along with their generator house, there is very little of anything other than atmospheric graffiti inside where the operators sheltered:

On a closing note, rounding the island's tiny wee coast, and just for the hell of it, here's a sort of table with an incongruous pot, and the rather old looking remains of a jetty behind:

Ok, it's not the French Riviera, but it's no bad:

No morris dancers this time, I'm happy to report.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi lucky Poet

I enjoy seeing these type of scenes and those pics you show are excellent. seems like a good place to visit....cheers
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hillbilly » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Fantastico!!
THE MASTER OF THE CARAVAN :
But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes,
You dirty-bearded, blocking up the way?

THE PILGRIMS :
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go