Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Edinburgh

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:06 am

How on earth did you do that, mrsam? Neat montage.
It is a lovely building, though I can't help but still think of it as the Royal Scottish somehow. I grub around in it quite often, the new bit too. Hope they keep the fish after the upgrade, they're one of the best things about the place.
By the way can any of the Edinburgh Fans 'Let Glasgow Flourish' and find coats of Arms of Glasgow (I've got 1 so far)

I can only think of one, on a tea towel of all things, in the new bit of the museum:
I'd have posted these in a thread about the 1901 exhibition, but I don't think there is one...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby mrsam » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:How on earth did you do that, mrsam? Neat montage.

Lots of pictures and a program called photostitch (i'l put a topic or add to one in the photo bit)
[Edit*] Try http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... &start=480

Lucky Poet wrote:
By the way can any of the Edinburgh Fans 'Let Glasgow Flourish' and find coats of Arms of Glasgow (I've got 1 so far)

I can only think of one, on a tea towel of all things, in the new bit of the museum:
I'd have posted these in a thread about the 1901 exhibition, but I don't think there is one...

That makes 2 (the one i'm thinking off is part of a building)

Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:16 am

Well I feel silly, I've got a copy of Photostitch from a Canon I bought in 2006. (My first camera actually, after I caught the bug from a really shit camera phone.) It had honestly never occurred to me to try it with anything other than a bog standard panorama. Thanks! I'll be trying this out :D
Incidentally, as a wee bit of trivia, the word 'panorama' was first coined by a fella in the early 19th century for a panoramic view he did of Edinburgh...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby mrsam » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:52 am

Bollocks the program I use is Autostitch not photo stitch :oops:

can be found here

http://www.photo-freeware.net/autostitch.php

It's good at stitching photomosaics but it don't like changes in light ie flash followed by no flash :evil:

was going perfectly untill Autostitch rejected
as not being part of the panorama (is it f**k not part of the same thing) :x

Oh well, worth pointing out that the original picture in my post was a mosaic of 15 pics
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v195/ ... /?start=20

Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:55 pm

15 pics? Wow. I'd try Autostitch but I'm a poncy Mac user :mrgreen:
I'll definitely be giving this idea a try though, I'll see if the program I've got will handle it...
Silly question maybe, but for that last mosaic that f'd up, did you try darkening the rejected pic in photoshop/gimp/whatever? It's a shame it chucked it, that would've been a cracking shot.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby scotgio » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm a Mac user too, apparently this is pretty good, uses a port of the underlying software from autostitch.
http://www.kekus.com/download/index.html
Not used it personally however. I tend just to use Photoshop or Realviz Stitcher.

Not to get too technical, but unless your using a panoramic tripod head (which rotates on the axis of the len's nodal point where the light beams actually converge, rather than using the tripod socket on the base of the camera) you will often find stitching software will struggle where there is objects close to the camera. This is due to parallax.

Thats why you can't make those nifty 360 degree spherical VR panoramas on a normal tripod.

Its kinda difficult to explain, this diagram attempts to show what I'm trying to describe. I've noticed quite a few panoramas on this site with parallax errors, particularly on details like fences. It's also partly responsible for the extreme barrel distortion on some of them too, a result of the software trying to join images which don't overlap properly.

As you rotate the camera, the position of objects in front of the camera will change relative to the background, thus they will not overlap correctly, which is why it won't stitch. If you rotate around the nodal point (located somewhere in the lens) this doesn't happen, and provided you've used the same exposure and focus settings, the images will always stitch, even all the way round a full 360 degrees.

This site has a pretty good guide to avoiding parallax errors in panoramas
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... llax-error
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrsam » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:44 am

scotgio wrote:Not to get too technical, but unless your using a panoramic tripod head (which rotates on the axis of the len's nodal point where the light beams actually converge, rather than using the tripod socket on the base of the camera) you will often find stitching software will struggle where there is objects close to the camera. This is due to parallax.

Thats why you can't make those nifty 360 degree spherical VR panoramas on a normal tripod.

This site has a pretty good guide to avoiding parallax errors in panoramas
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... llax-error

Actually all of my panoramas are done by hand without any tripod (hence the edges are mismatched and don't quite match)

Macks are good but I don't know of a Mac autostitch

Lucky Poet wrote:Silly question maybe, but for that last mosaic that f'd up, did you try darkening the rejected pic in photoshop/gimp/whatever? It's a shame it chucked it, that would've been a cracking shot.

Will Give it a go I only thought that you could lighten dark images and not vice versa!

mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:43 pm

Was out Edinburgh way the other day and had a quick chat with this bloke holding a lone protest outside the Scottish Parliament. He's campaigning for rights for Autistic folk.
http://www.autismrights.org.uk

glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:30 pm

EICC lighting at night.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:26 am

It's cheesy mist photography time! Quelle fromage! Beaucoup de fromage :)
Was in town, nursing my poor brain after an exam, when the mist lifted just a bit, ending a depressingly grim day with the gift of a luvvly sunset experience. Off I trotted up Calton Hill; the usual crowd of tourists up there were delighted.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby nodrog » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:24 pm

Basil Spence's 1933 Southside Garage, now a Majestic Wine Warehouse...

Category B listed:
http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=30227

More at
http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/ ... nburgh.htm
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri May 09, 2008 10:41 pm

You wouldn't catch me on those rides....
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby invy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Great pics guys!

Not quite Edinburgh but not too far out, stayed with friends a couple of weeks ago, woke up to this view...

A few doors down I saw this and thought of the girls here ;)

Guess who's back on his feet again :wink:

-Jim
That'll be Fife I can see from the window :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:45 pm

Nice engineering :P

The Mound last weekend Tai Chi awareness demonstration:

>Mound<

Ahh cobbles ( Grassmarket last weekend):

>Cobbles<
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:43 pm

Waverley:

In the National Museum of Scotland:

Gladstone Memorial, Coates Crescent:

Sunny Stockbridge, on this very July day:
Ciao!
Lucky Poet
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World